Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.221.121

Hi Guys

Im using the Asus ac68u router, flashed with Merlinwrt.

Using the openvpn profile on the router, I can only get a maximum of about 5.5mbps on my 100mbps fibre connection.

I have tried various server, ranging from best latency to speed speed (as per the Eddie recommendations), and cannot for the life of me get better speeds.

Can anyone please assist?

Thanks a lot.

You are limited by the CPU in your router. Most of these consumer grade routers will top out at around 30 Mbps and that is a best case scenario. No change of firmware will improve that or change in settings. The processors in these devices simply cannot handle the encryption/decryption that is required routing all data through the VPN tunnel in the same way a dedicated server or desktop PC can. Investing in setup that can run as a dedicated router, such as a pfSense box or even an old desktop running your favorite flavour of Linux would allow you to fully utilize your available bandwidth. Then use your 68U as a wireless AP.

Would I get better performance using Nvidia Shield or will it also top at 30 mbps?

Thank you

Mario

You can try a UDP profile on the router instead of TCP. For me (with Asus RT-AC68U) that increased the speed from 5 Mbps to 20.