Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.221.121
jipjipjuhee

Airvpn dns and Netflix problems

Hello, 

i use the airvpn dns server 10.4.0.1 as primary dns server on my networks because of net neutrality, privacy and anti-censorship. 

The ip traffic is routed by rules differently (some sources/destinations inside and some outside the airpvpn tunnel). Netflix alway outside the tunnel. 

Some days ago i got a problem: netflix got unusable (neither via web nor via apps). The website got unreachable and apps on diffrent devices displayed errors (e.g. NW-2-5 network error).

I was able to find out, that the problem was caused by using the airvpn dns.

My workaround for the problem is to use other dns-server (my providerd dns server) for netlix destinations, so i had to add some exceptions to dnsmasq.conf:

server=/netflix.de/[Provider DNS-IP]
server=/netflix.com/[Provider DNS-IP]
server=/nflxext.com/[Provider DNS-IP]
server=/nflximg.net/[Provider DNS-IP]
server=/nflxso.net/[Provider DNS-IP]
server=/nflxvideo.net/[Provider DNS-IP]

I have no ambitions to find out the root cause, because the workaroud solved it for me.
My guess is, that it could be a geo-based firewall/dns problem - the airvpn dns could reply an ip that isn't accessable outside the tunnel/from my providers network. 

This is just an information the airvpn admins can think about and if others got the same problem, they will be able to workaround. 

So, your DNS was always AirVPN DNS but actual Netflix IPs were routed outside the VPN Tunnel....and a few days ago Netflix stopped working.  Do I understand things right?

It sounds like when Air "fixed" things so that Netflix could be accessed through the VPN (see their announcements) is when things stopped working for you.

Perhaps you should just try to use Netflix through the VPN instead of now routing Netflix traffic and DNS outside the VPN?

So, your DNS was always AirVPN DNS but actual Netflix IPs were routed outside the VPN Tunnel....and a few days ago Netflix stopped working.  Do I understand things right?

It sounds like when Air "fixed" things so that Netflix could be accessed through the VPN (see their announcements) is when things stopped working for you.

Perhaps you should just try to use Netflix through the VPN instead of now routing Netflix traffic and DNS outside the VPN?

Yes you are all right in your understandings.

And yes netflix works when both dns+traffic is routed through the tunnel.

But: i use e.g. amazon fire tv stick with netflix app - and if i route the whole traffic from fire tv stick through the tunnel, netflix is working well, but amazon video shows me "geo ip blocked" on many videos (maybe my account is registered in a specific country). 

So the solution amazon+netflix outside tunnel seems to fit best for me because i didn't want to overcome the geo-blocking - if anyone want's to - it could get difficulty (when easy to use is a premise)... 

I also agree to you "it sounds like when Air "fixed" things so that Netflix could be accessed through the VPN is when things stopped working..." 

that's what i want to say: a dns can only resolve one geo location directly, or you have to manage an enormous set of rules - it seems that airvpn does what most of the customers want (an US geo location for netflix) - so i have to configure my own rule set to use amazon+netflix outside the tunnel, inside my own geo location with airvpn (uncensored) dns. 

Yes you are all right in your understandings.

And yes netflix works when both dns+traffic is routed through the tunnel.

But: i use e.g. amazon fire tv stick with netflix app - and if i route the whole traffic from fire tv stick through the tunnel, netflix is working well, but amazon video shows me "geo ip blocked" on many videos (maybe my account is registered in a specific country). 

So the solution amazon+netflix outside tunnel seems to fit best for me because i didn't want to overcome the geo-blocking - if anyone want's to - it could get difficulty (when easy to use is a premise)... 

I also agree to you "it sounds like when Air "fixed" things so that Netflix could be accessed through the VPN is when things stopped working..." 

that's what i want to say: a dns can only resolve one geo location directly, or you have to manage an enormous set of rules - it seems that airvpn does what most of the customers want (an US geo location for netflix) - so i have to configure my own rule set to use amazon+netflix outside the tunnel, inside my own geo location with airvpn (uncensored) dns. 

Ah, yes, I understand about Amazon.  Fortunately, the servers I've used (USA) had Amazon working as well.

Interesting reading.

I have a similar problem, but I'm running Windows 7, hence no dnsmaq.conf. 

Any idea how I would go about implementing this solution on Windows?

Hello!

Just to clarify the situation from the start of the thread:

- Netflix USA is accessible from all of our servers (not limited to USA servers), provided that you use VPN DNS

- Amazon Prime Video USA is no more accessible, not even from USA servers, but we are working on the issue

Kind regards

Hello!

Just to clarify the situation from the start of the thread:

- Netflix USA is accessible from all of our servers (not limited to USA servers), provided that you use VPN DNS

- Amazon Prime Video USA is no more accessible, not even from USA servers, but we are working on the issue

Kind regards

I am aware. Maybe my question was vague. What I want to do is bypass airvpn dns for netflix. American is fine for me and the wife, but not for the kids(since they dont speak english). 

Forcebindip has worked untill recently, but does not anymore.

1.For your main adapter's DNS-->> grab a DNS from either:

https://www.opennic.org/

https://blog.uncensoreddns.org/

https://dns.watch/

and place it at the end of the DNS already defined list --->>10.4.0.1/10.5.0.1/other DNS

If you use a browser set that to "Outgoing Only" in Comodo.

2.The option that I use --->external router->connect WAN(own router)->LAN port(Your ISP modem).

Now configure that external router as DHCP/PPPoE(your choice)

Good luck & Regards,

Flx

and place it at the end of the DNS already defined list --->>10.4.0.1/10.5.0.1/other DNS

Warning: on "Generation 2" servers only 10.4.0.1 will be available as DNS server address in addition to the VPN gateway address (which can also be reached with DNS queries).

10.5.0.1 is no more reachable.

Kind regards

Warning: on "Generation 2" servers only 10.4.0.1 will be available as DNS server address in addition to the VPN gateway address (which can also be reached with DNS queries).

10.5.0.1 is no more reachable.

Thx for the UPDATE.

1.For your main adapter's DNS-->> grab a DNS from either:

https://www.opennic.org/

https://blog.uncensoreddns.org/

https://dns.watch/

If you use a browser set that to "Outgoing Only" in Comodo.

2.The option that I use --->external router->connect WAN(own router)->LAN port(Your ISP modem).

Now configure that external router as DHCP/PPPoE(your choice)

Good luck & Regards,

Flx

I'm a bit unsure how to achieve this.

Dns define list, do you mean in my main network adapter settings or in eddie?

Option nr 2, do you mean using an extra router just for this functionality?

And how do you specify that netflix should be called with alternate dns? The route alternative in eddie is quite impossible to use with the extensive ip ranges netflix uses.

Best regards!