Not connected, Your IP: 100.24.20.141
tammo

HOW TO: get openVPN working in Kodi

This manual is primarily intended for LibreELEC/CoreELEC/OpenELEC users, from version 7, there OpenVPN is already integrated.
But in general it should work with Linux and Windows, but OpenVPN may have to be installed there first. For more information, see also:
https://github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/wiki/01.-Installation

This manual is based on the unofficial build of kszaq LibreELEC 8.2.3.1 with Kodi (Krypton) 17.6 and "VPN Manager for openVPN" 4.9.9.

After I've tried for hours to get openVPN working in LibreELEC in order to be able using Zattoo (HIQ) via switzerland-airVPN-server, here a small HOW TO, so hopefully it would be easier for others.

1. Use the Config Generator in client area in order to create a configuration file.

• Select as operating system Linux (I did) or RPi
  • Select as protocol udp (recomended), Port 443
  • Select nothing else, no advanced mode, no proxy
  • Select a server (for me it has to be one from switzerland) by single server! I have experienced, that if you choose "by country", sometimes it won't work (probably because one or more servers, which are then automatically selected, are not recognized as swiss servers). You can test the single servers with your already working system to see whether they should be recognized for what they are. One server is enough, because later only one server can be used for automatic connection establishment in the VPN Manager anyway. But you can also create several server-files, if you want (and later mark the files in green, you'll see it in one of the next steps.).
  • Create and downlaod the .ovpn file(s).

2. Download the zomboided repository on your PC. With this you can download later on the service-vpn-manager (to manage openvpn) and its updates.
You can get it from here:
https://github.com/Zomboided/repository.zomboided.plugins
And maybe interesting:
https://github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/wiki
There you can read, what it does and how it works.

3. Copy the two files (zomboided repo and .ovpn file) in the download-folder of Kodi (your OE/LE/CE machine). For connecting your PC with your device you can use e.g. SAMBA.
An other way is e.g. to copy the files to an USB-Stick and work with this.

4. Now go into your Kodi menu.

• Enable install from unknown sources (for more informations take a look at the Wiki-link above -> installation)
  • Install the zomboided repository via Systems/Addons/Install
  • Go to the new installed zomboided repository and install the "vpn manager for openvpn".
  • Now a wizard wants to start -> don't use it! (For me it did't work!) Instead change directly in this window into settings.
  • In the new window (settings) you can see on the left the first entry "VPN configuration". It should be already selected.
  • Move to right, just have a look at "Protocol (udp recomended)" and change it to udp, if necessary. Don't change anything else (don't care about all the things like username or password!), but scroll directly down to "user defined import wizard", select this.
  • Confirm the next dialog box with OK.
  • Next dialog box should be: "Any existing user defined settings and files will be deleted. Do you want to continue?" -> Yes
  • Next dialog box: "Select all files needed ...", you can choose between files and directory -> choose "files"
  • Navigate to the folder you have stored the .ovpn file, select it (it turns green) and click OK.
  • (I'm not sure about this point. I recently had a device, the next steps (from "Now in the settings window again...") did not work. So maybe you'd better move on to the next to steps.) Next dialog box: "Update the .ovpn files ...?" -> No
  • Next dialog box: "Update the .ovpn files ...?" -> Yes
  • Next dialog box: "Rename the .ovpn files ...?" -> Yes
  • Next dialog box: "Import wizard finished ..." -> OK
  • Now in the settings window again, go down on left side to "VPN connections".
  • Go right to "First vpn connection ..." and click it. Wait a moment ...
  • In the new dialog box: Heading "select first vpn profile", you should find something like "AIR_VPN_..._UDP..." or maybe just an IP-Adress -> select it and click OK
  • Now you should get a new dialog box with: "Connected to a VPN ..." - gratulation, that's it!
  • To make sure you don't forget, now go in the settings menu and click OK to save the settings you have made so far!

Just a few more tips:
Now you can go back to the settings menu and familiarize yourself a little bit.

• For example you should have a look at the "monitor" menu option on the left. There you can define, among other things, whether openVPN should connect automatically at system startup or even before the Kodi startup.
  • An other interesting thing for example is the "Add-on Filter". There for example, you can define addons that should only work over a VPN connection. For example, if you only need a VPN connection when you start a specific addon like Zattoo HIQ, you can put this addon into the filter and the VPN Manager will automatically establish the openVPN connection when the addon is started. And it will not allow Internet access for the addon until the VPN connection is established. That's really very useful, I think!

The VPN Manger is a great addon, once you have managed to feed it with data in the right way!

Some passages are translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

What about DNS leakage? I think, the system will use the default DNS setting this way, which will cause the usage of the internet provider's default DNS.

sorry to necro an old thread but been trying to get this working for days even VPN recomender websites like "vpnlab" say you cannot get airvpn working with kodi, but man NICE THANKS THIS WORKED :D

On 9/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, BorisGr said:

What about DNS leakage? I think, the system will use the default DNS setting this way, which will cause the usage of the internet provider's default DNS.

You can change the DNS adresses in your router. Or maybe you can do this also in Kodi.

It appears this Zombroided app is "Broken for the Moment."  I trust this will change. In the meantime, other options are at hand, and the provider of this forum, has the answer.

Posted ... (edited)

If you are using Kodi in an Android box, it is easy to install OpenVPN as a stand alone app. I use "OpenVPN for Android", the one by Arne Schwabe. This method completely eliminates all the playing around with Kodi settings. You need to put in your VPN config files to the client, I just put them on an SD card to transfer the config files into the box, the card can be removed after installation. One of the features of the app is you can select which apps in your Android box will communicate via VPN, and which will not use VPN. Place a check beside Kodi so that it will use the VPN, that's it, all your Kodi traffic will go through the VPN. You can also easily require OpenVPN to start on boot, on some boxes this is a built-in option, and others you can get an app to do the autostart on boot.

Edited ... by gl0562

Posted ... (edited)

Can anyone tell me how to stop airvpn from disconnecting on its own? Its very irritating. 
Help.

Edited ... by Magpies6
Add notify me of repl9.

1 hour ago, Magpies6 said:

Can anyone tell me how to stop airvpn from disconnecting on its own? Its very irritating. 

Please create your own thread and give as much info as you can about the problem. If using Eddie, paste/upload a support file accessed in Logs tab > lifebelt icon on the right.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.