Not connected, Your IP: 54.173.43.215
Sign in to follow this  
PsyKOrion

ANSWERED Torrent on AirVPN : speed is very poor

Hello

I have recently, speed which I would quote "catastrophic" when I use torrent clients.

AirVPN : Eddie last version
Torrent Clients tested : qBitorrent, Transmission or Deluge.

Speed test : 50Mbps download/upload on VPN

Without AirVPN, the torrent download speed can reach 60/80 Mbps.
With AirVPN, the torrent download speed can reach 100/200 Kbps.

The port is set on torrent client and configured on AIRVPN port forwarding.
Checked that this port is considered open.

I would say its probably the torrent you're downloading. Its possible, the seeders just have their transfer speeds limited or maybe they're on a crappy network. It all depends on the peers and how they have their client set thats doing the sharing. I take a little bit of a hit when Im on AirVPN but I get just about my full 110+ Mbps and I always have qBitTorrent running. 

Thx Monotremata for your answer.

Unfortunately it does not depend on torrent or seeders. I've tested with the same torrent. AirVPN on : 150kbps - AirVPN off : 50Mbps - AirVPN on : 100kbps - AirVPN off : 50Mbps. With AirVPN on, the leechers can't etablish a connection with me. Without VPN they can.

I can assure you port forward is not necessary when using a torrent client with AirVPN - have you tried different torrents? For example:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

I'd also try a variety of settings in Eddie and different servers too - screenshots would be useful so we can get an understanding of your setup and possibly better guide you (the more info you give us the more useful our responses might be). For example, what server are you using? Any latency (ping) problems? Assuming regular browser downloads work fine and it's just torrents?

Also, you must ensure you are not capping upload speed in any way, as clients can snub those who limit it.

I can assure you port forward is not necessary when using a torrent client with AirVPN - have you tried different torrents? For example:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

I'd also try a variety of settings in Eddie and different servers too - screenshots would be useful so we can get an understanding of your setup and possibly better guide you (the more info you give us the more useful our responses might be). For example, what server are you using? Any latency (ping) problems? Assuming regular browser downloads work fine and it's just torrents?

Also, you must ensure you are not capping upload speed in any way, as clients can snub those who limit it.

Yes port forwarding is necessary, otherwise leechers won't be able to connect to your client so you can't seed. You'll definitely see the pool of them, but none of them will be able to see you. One of my torrent sites puts up a big red warning when you go to it, if the tracker can't connect to your client. Thats how I figured out FrootVPN doesn't allow any sort of port forwarding whatsoever and I moved over here to AirVPN. Once I setup my port in the Client Area, and set it again in my torrent client, that message at the tracker's site goes right away and I can seed again.

You can check that port forwarding is working, and not blocked by ISP/router firewall/system firewall/antivirus using:

http://canyouseeme.org/

You can try to avoid throttling by ISP detection of VPN using Deep Packet Inspection by trying Eddie Settings/Protocols/SSL443 for an outer covering which looks like common https webpage access.