Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.48.62
Sign in to follow this  
parker81

WaterRoof steps to block non-vpn traffic

Hi,

I apologize in advance for asking what is an admittedly noob-ish question, but I'm going to be doing some considerable international travel for work and I want to make sure I'm covering all my bases with respect to privacy. I've tested out several VPNs and I find that I like Air VPN the best, however, I'm wondering if anyone would be able to provide step by step instructions around how to set up WaterRoof to block all non-VPN traffic.

I'd like to be able to ensure that all my applications/browsers/etc will only be able to connect when I am connected to Air VPN. I have tried to follow the WaterRoof instructions that have been laid out here: https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=1713&Itemid=142#1764

However, after following the WaterRoof instructions from the thread linked to above all my applications/browsers are still able to connect whether I am connected to Air VPN or not. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong so any help would be much appreciated.

I'm using a Mac OS X 10.6.8 - as a side note, is this DNS leakage issue something I should even be concerned about on a Mac? I've read that this is predominantly a Windows issue so maybe the added firewall protection isn't necessary?

Thanks

Hi,

I apologize in advance for asking what is an admittedly noob-ish question, but I'm going to be doing some considerable international travel for work and I want to make sure I'm covering all my bases with respect to privacy. I've tested out several VPNs and I find that I like Air VPN the best, however, I'm wondering if anyone would be able to provide step by step instructions around how to set up WaterRoof to block all non-VPN traffic.

I'd like to be able to ensure that all my applications/browsers/etc will only be able to connect when I am connected to Air VPN. I have tried to follow the WaterRoof instructions that have been laid out here: https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=1713&Itemid=142#1764

Hello!

Thank you for your subscription.

Please see here (special thanks to jessez) for WaterRoof/ipfw:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=1713&limit=6&limitstart=42&Itemid=142#2756

I'm using a Mac OS X 10.6.8 - as a side note, is this DNS leakage issue something I should even be concerned about on a Mac? I've read that this is predominantly a Windows issue so maybe the added firewall protection isn't necessary?

Thanks

We are not aware of DNS leaks by BSD based systems like OSX. However, setting up ipfw (or pf, on newer OSX) has an even more important purpose, that is preventing leaks (especially of your real IP address) in case of accidental VPN disconnections.

Please do not hesitate to contact us or write in the above thread for any further support or information.

Kind regards

Hi parker81,

The rules for ipfw are on page 8 of the thread the admins linked to in the answer to your question. The rules and procedures for getting complete blocking using ipfw are a work in progress, so if you could post in the other article about your experience using those rules and any issues you encounter so they can be addressed, that would be very much appreciated and make for a better experience for anyone else that decides to use the article to set up ipfw.

Best regards,

jz

Thanks Jessez - I'm planning on giving this a try tonight so I'll post the results in the other thread if I get through it.

Thanks parker81, I look forward to hearing how it goes. If you could also let me know which method you use to set the rules that would be appreciated (the shell script, manually entering the rules in terminal or importing the file directly into WaterRoof)

Regards,

jz