Not connected, Your IP: 3.89.163.120
Staff

Eddie Android edition

Bug Report

1+3

Android 8.0

I've tried "OpenVPN for Android" and OpenVPN Connect as well as Eddie

In the settings for Android (More>VPN>VPN app) and then I enable both "Always on" and "block connection without VPN".

The issue is, when I switch from WIFI to mobile data, the VPN can't connect to any server and so I have to disable both "Always on" and "block connection without VPN" settings, then I have to turn off mobile data and turn it back on for it to even be able to get a 4g connection.When I connect to the server I can re-enable the always on and Block connection options.

Going from Mobile to WiFi is fine and it always connects without a problem. Sometimes, even after I've connected, it will lose VPN connection and I have to redo the process above.

Hello!

This issue seems related to Oreo-specific "Network Lock" option for VPN:

https://www.bestusefultips.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Google-Pixel-Wi-Fi-settings-in-android-8.0-Oreo.jpg

Why the behavior is inconsistent between the switches WiFi->mobile and mobile->WIFi might perhaps be a bug. Several Oreo issues were fixed in 8.1 but not some issues affecting VPN users:

https://www.neowin.net/news/google-addresses-android-81-oreo-vpn-issues-fix-to-be-released

http://piunikaweb.com/2017/12/21/google-fixes-android-8-1-wifivpn-issue/

We suspect that (just like openvpn-connect and OpenVPN for Android programmers) we can't do much until Google does not fix once and for all the problem. The fact that the issue is not Eddie-specific, but common to three different OpenVPN-based applications supports the idea that the problem is not in the applications themselves, but at Oreo level. We will keep you informed if we get any relevant, new information about the issue.

Kind regards

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 1.0 beta 3 has just been released. Please test intensively and report back any anomaly, you will help us roll out Release Candidate 1 within the 15th of July as planned! Special thanks to all the beta 1 and beta 2 testers: thank you for your time, patience and sharp reports which have helped us improve the code and fix bugs.

Here's the changelog.

Changelog 1.0 beta 3 (VC 3) - Release date: 10 July 2018 by ProMIND

LogActivity.cs
- [ProMIND] Replaced the WebView with a ListView. This fixes the noticeable app's lag at activity's startup caused by WebView inflation.

log_activity_layout.xml
- [ProMIND] Replaced WebView with a ListView

log_activity_listitem.xml
- [ProMIND] New file. Describes the log item used for LogActivity's ListView

SupportTools.cs
- [ProMIND] Changed constructor. It now requires a Context.

VpnManager.cs
- [ProMIND] SendMessage(Message msg, Bundle payload): in case m_serviceMessenger is null, it now shows a more understandable and useful message to the user

strings.xml
- [ProMIND] Added conn_cannot_start_vpnservice

Kind regards

beta 3 connects fine to airvpn server but not to my home vpn whiich is running asus merlin openvpn server.

messages in log:

client start failed

clearcontexts

client not initialized

On Pixel 2 using MacroDroid app to perform automated tasks. A MacroDroid macro is set to open/launch OpenVPN for Android when specific SSID is detected within range. I switched the same macro to open/launch Eddie for Android 1.0 b3 instead of OpenVPN for Android, but when I arrive at the location Eddie doesn't open. I switch back to OpenVPN for Android and it opens as expected. I am not sure the difference, but wanted to mention. Eddie for Android as a stand-alone app works as expected.

Update 07/28/18: Latest version of Eddie for Android works with MacroDroid app macro. Thanks

I'm running a Snapdragon S9+, and either the connection timeout setting isn't working, or I don't understand it.  Even with it set to 10 seconds, it takes more than a minute for Eddie to realize my network has changed between WiFi/mobile and restart the VPN.  That's unacceptably long on a mobile device that can frequently switch networks.

I'm running a Snapdragon S9+, and either the connection timeout setting isn't working, or I don't understand it.  Even with it set to 10 seconds, it takes more than a minute for Eddie to realize my network has changed between WiFi/mobile and restart the VPN.  That's unacceptably long on a mobile device that can frequently switch networks.

Hello!

Thanks, this could be a bug.

When you set a timeout value in Eddie, Eddie passes it to OpenVPN 3. However, our servers push "ping-restart 60", to decide when a connection must be considered "over" in UDP. This directive seems to override the Eddie setting. We will investigate.

Overview: UDP is connectionless, so when you connect in UDP two OpenVPN nodes, each party can NOT know whether the other one is still alive. That's why each party "pings" the other (in our service every 10 seconds, inside the tunnel) and if no reply is received in 60 seconds to any "ping", a party considers that the other party is no more there.

Lowering the keepalive from our side is an option, as well as fixing the possible override on Eddie settings, however this is a delicate matter because too low values can cause (especially in mobility) a bunch of disconnections which could be avoided. Consider that the OpenVPN default setting is 120 seconds, we already lowered it a lot.

We will study the problem carefully. In the meantime, if you need an immediate reaction to a loss of connection, please connect in TCP. Only TCP can detect in a very quick time that the other party is no more there. UDP can not, simply because it's connectionless.

Thank you again.

Kind regards

I'm testing your client for Android, but one question, where are the OpenVPN profiles, I thought there are some? And if not, where do I download them?

please make it a little easier, isn't everybody a technique freak.

I'm testing your client for Android, but one question, where are the OpenVPN profiles, I thought there are some? And if not, where do I download them?

please make it a little easier, isn't everybody a technique freak.

Hello!

Our Configuration Generator will generate any profile according to your preferences. It's available in your account "Client Area" in our web site. Next Eddie version will feature servers choice (similarly to the desktop edition), so that you will not even need to import profiles (Eddie will create them for you dynamically according to your preferences).

Kind regards

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie 1.0 Release Candidate 1 has just been released.

RC1 has been linked against mbedTLS (formerly known as "PolarSSL") instead of OpenSSL. This decision has been taken because, according to our tests, performance with OpenSSL and mbedTLS is identical, while mbedTLS ensures a longer battery life under intensive usage: approximately a 10% improvement. This change also makes the package lighter.

We warmly invite you to test as much as you can and report any glitch and bug you should find. We would like to thank all the beta testers so far: thanks to them the development cycle has been very fast and we are so near to release a stable version. Thank you!

As usual Eddie is free and open source software released under GPLv3. You can participate to the beta testing by joining the beta community in the Google Play Store here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.airvpn.eddie

Alternatively, if you don't want to access (or you have no access to) the Google Play Store, the apk can be downloaded from our Eddie web site here:
https://eddie.website/repository/eddie/android/1.0rc1/org.airvpn.eddie.apk

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Staff

ChangeLog.txt

ChangeLog-1.0RC1.txt

Hello,

thanks for the info,

I just wish it was as easy to use as it is on the desktop. But I miss a Killswitsch. I tested your client yesterday and my phone switched from WLAN to LTE and Eddie didn't register it and didn't have it anymore. I had to restart it. So I was without protection when changing.

and please explain the settings. I understand there only station and do not know at all, what one should set there under options. I have absolutely no idea!

Hello,

thanks for the info,

I just wish it was as easy to use as it is on the desktop. But I miss a Killswitsch. I tested your client yesterday and my phone switched from WLAN to LTE and Eddie didn't register it and didn't have it anymore. I had to restart it. So I was without protection when changing.

Hello!

A 100% safe traffic leak prevention outside the VPN tunnel (we guess you mean that with "kill switch", is this right?) is impossible on a machine you don't control as root (administrator) but Eddie will perform a best effort to prevent leaks just like any other OpenVPN based application on Android. Please make sure that "TUN persist" and "Pause VPN ..." options are both active for this purpose.

About the event you report, can you please add some more details? When you switched from WiFi to LTE, did OpenVPN disconnect and then never re-connected until you restarted Eddie? Can you reproduce the issue and post the full OpenVPN log taken after the problem has occurred?

Kind regards

and please explain the settings. I understand there only station and do not know at all, what one should set there under options. I have absolutely no idea!

Hello!

Of course. Documentation and instructions will be published before the release of the stable version.

Kind regards

Bug Report:

Samsung Galaxy S9+, Android Oreo 8.0.0, Eddie version 1.0 RC 1 (latest)

The persistent notification from the Eddie app whenever the VPN is connected is no longer there after updating to RC1, meaning that the app can not properly run in the background and will automatically close after 10 or 20 minutes, closing the VPN connection. I did not have this problem in previous versions

Where is the save battery option?

I can only see when the screen is off pause the vpn

BTW do i need to enter my username and password as it seem to work without?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

BTW do i need to enter my username and password as it seem to work without?

You don't need to enter your username and password in this version because the OVPN files already have your authentication details in them so the client uses those

Bug Report:

The persistent notification from the Eddie app whenever the VPN is connected is no longer there after updating to RC1, meaning that the app can not properly run in the background and will automatically close after 10 or 20 minutes, closing the VPN connection. I did not have this problem in previous versions

Hello and thank you for your report!

Can you please make sure that the option "Show notification" is ON? If it's turned off, Android can put the application to sleep according to its own resources management, causing VPN disconnection (Eddie displays a warning about that anyway). Please feel free to keep us posted.

Kind regards

Hello!

Yes, that's the option you look for. In the option comment you should be able to read: "Pause VPN when the screen is off. When this option is enabled, no traffic will be generated by the VPN when the screen is off. This also saves battery when the screen is off."

Kind regards

Bug Report:

Hello and thank you for your report!

Can you please make sure that the option "Show notification" is ON? If it's turned off, Android can put the application to sleep according to its own resources management, causing VPN disconnection (Eddie displays a warning about that anyway). Please feel free to keep us posted.

Kind regards

Checked in the settings, and the show notification option is still on

Bug Report:

Hello!

Confirmed and reproduced in RC1 and Oreo. We are currently testing internally a fixed version. If everything goes well you will see RC2 quite soon.

Kind regards

two thoughts about android:

1. I have to download the config files manually right? I do not see the advantage of this app atm
  2. stunnel or ssh on android would be great.

Possible bug with RC1

When Eddie is running (connection's OK tested with ipleak.net), after "swiping" Eddie's window, if you click on Eddie's icon or Eddie's notification bar the UI crashes (?) and reboots; after that, instead of having Profile XXXX Server XXXX Port XXX Protocol XXX (as before the crashing/rebooting) you have all fields blank.

Checked again the connection with ipleak.net and, despite having Eddie's icon and notification bar running, the VPN is down ad exposes my real IP.

Eddie's log after crashing/rebooting

Eddie for Android 1.0 RC 1 Version Code 4

24 Jul 2018 07:58:34 UTC [debug] NativeMethods.OVPN3.Init succeeded (version=3)
24 Jul 2018 07:58:34 UTC [debug] VPNService.OnStartCommand (no intent)

I don't know if this is a bug or just a "bad interaction" between my ResurrectionRemix on Xiaomi note 4 (mido) and Eddie

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android Edition 1.0 RC2 (VC 5) has just been released.

The main changes from RC1 are various bug fixes (including an important problem occurring under Android 8.x) and a more robust detection and handling of network and OpenVPN statuses with the purpose to reach the best effort against traffic leaks outside the VPN, of course within the bounds enforced by limited privileges in the system.

Eddie 1.0 RC2 is also packaged with x86 support, we had a request for x86 support some time ago and we're glad to satisfy it.

You can find additional information in the changelog which is attached to this message.

As usual Eddie is free and open source software released under GPLv3. Check the first post in this thread for source code URL and some more details.

You can participate to the tests by joining the testing community in the Google Play Store here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.airvpn.eddie

Alternatively, if you don't want to access (or you have no access to) the Google Play Store, the apk can be downloaded from our Eddie web site here:
https://eddie.website/repository/eddie/android/1.0rc2/org.airvpn.eddie.apk

Please keep testing and stress Eddie as much as you can! Any single report is important. With RC2 we feel we are remarkably nearer to a 1.0 stable release, but only extensive tests outside our internal team will prove us right or wrong. Thanks so much to all the past and future testers!

Kind regards

ChangeLog.txt

eddie 1.0 11 work ok updated to 1,0 beta 1crashes app does not open same whith 1.0 beta 2 running android x86 oreo 8.1 for pc

Hello!

Eddie for Android is distributed with ARM7 and ARM8 libraries. We have never planned to publicly distribute x86 libraries but we use them for the emulator, of course. Currently there is no plan to include x86 support, we are not convinced that the remarkable increase in size of the apk would justify this support, we're sorry. You can anyway compile Eddie Android edition for x86 of course.

Kind regards

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that x86 libraries have been included starting from Eddie 1.0 RC2. The increase in size is justified by the support provided to cases like yours. You don't need to compile Eddie anymore if you don't wish so.

Kind regards