Not connected, Your IP: 54.165.248.212
Staff

Eddie Android edition

Getting crashes on LineageOS 14.1 using my device.

AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main

AndroidRuntime: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{org.airvpn.eddie/md5c20a7de4973c8a8059676fc5949481d7.MainActivity}: android.view.InflateException: Binary XML file line #1: Binary XML file line #1: Error inflating class android.support.design.widget.NavigationView

Hello!

Noted. One of our physical testing machines is Lineage 14.1 based so we can try to reproduce the issue exactly. Can you please tell us whether you tested the previous "com.eddie.android" application? If so, can you please check and report whether you still have the Mono shared runtime library installed? If so, please delete it and check whether the crash still occurs.

Kind regards

Hi. I can confirm the old version works just fine, downloaded the APK itself via the eddie website (version 1.0 beta 11 is what it says).

I also don't see a "mono shared runtime library" in my apps list, even when showing 'system' apps, I assume this is only if you're debugging via visual studio? 

Resurrection Remix

RR-N-5.8.5-20180121-mido-Final

• com version working without a flaw except for the fact that it shuts suddenly down after a while
  • org version keep crashing when I try to boot (please see attached screenshot)

Hello!

Thank you. On our testing machines:

Mido (Xiaomi Redmi Note 4) + LineageOS 15.1

Maguro + LineageOS 14.1

gtaxlwifi + LineageOS 14.1

we can't reproduce the crash. We see you have xposed (from the crash report). On the above machines we don't have the xposed framework, so it might be important to know whether you made some Eddie specific customization with xposed or you run some peculiar xposed module.

An example: if you modify some specific Android resource such as drawer or navigationview, Android can't run them, but Eddie (the org version) relies on them in a different way than the old "com" version did (we need them to ensure compatibility with API

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Resurrection Remix

RR-N-5.8.5-20180121-mido-Final

• com version working without a flaw except for the fact that it shuts suddenly down after a while
  • org version keep crashing when I try to boot (please see attached screenshot)

Hello!

Thank you. On our testing machines:

Mido (Xiaomi Redmi Note 4) + LineageOS 15.1

Maguro + LineageOS 14.1

gtaxlwifi + LineageOS 14.1

we can't reproduce the crash. We see you have xposed (from the crash report). On the above machines we don't have the xposed framework, so it might be important to know whether you made some Eddie specific customization with xposed or you run some peculiar xposed module.

An example: if you modify some specific Android resource such as drawer or navigationview, Android can't run them, but Eddie (the org version) relies on them in a different way than the old "com" version did (we need them to ensure compatibility with API<25, Android 5.1 and 6.0).

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Hi guys,

Thank you for your super-fast reply!

Well I'm actually using only one Xposed module and it's "Greenify" (I've just check and Eddie is excluded from any "battery save policy")

Except for this module, it's exactly the same of the "original"  Resurrection Remix

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 1.0 beta 2 has just been released. Please test intensively and report back any anomaly, you will help us roll out Release Candidate 1 within the 15th of July as planned! Special thanks to all the beta 1 testers: thank you for your time, patience and sharp reports which have helped us improve the code and fix bugs.

This beta 2 version takes advantage of the full localization which was implemented since alfa versions. We have added Italian and Spanish languages at the moment. Italian and Spanish beta testers, please feel free to report any typo or error you find in the messages, of course.

Here's the changelog.

Changelog 1.0 beta 2 (VC 2) - Release date: 06 July 2018 by ProMIND

Miscellaneous:
- [Morvotron] Added Spanish localization files
- [pj] Added Italian localization files
- [ProMIND] Fixed some incompatibilities in NavigatorView layouts in order to better support different devices/Api levels. This should also avoid startup crashes detected in 1.0 beta 1
- [ProMIND] Revised mono package versions and support. This should improve stability in certain devices/Api levels as well as avoiding startup crashes detected in 1.0 beta 1

AndroidManifest.xml
- [ProMIND] Removed unneeded MANAGE_DOCUMENTS permission

MainActivity.cs
- [ProMIND] OnActivityResult(): Added a log warning for unhandled and unexpected requestCode

LogActivity.cs
- [ProMIND] Log timestamps (date/time) are now shown in local time format. Exported log timestamps are in UTC time.

SupportTools.cs
- [ProMIND] GetOpenVPNProfile(Android.Net.Uri profileUri): Profile size limit in now set to 200kb. This prevents ANR in case of huge binary files parsing
- [ProMIND] ConfirmationDialog(string message): confirmation message now has "yes" and "no" buttons instead of "ok" and "cancel"

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Staff

AndroidRuntime: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{org.airvpn.eddie/md5c20a7de4973c8a8059676fc5949481d7.MainActivity}: android.view.InflateException: Binary XML file line #1: Binary XML file line #1: Error inflating class android.support.design.widget.NavigationView

Hello!

Can you please try 1.0 beta 2 now? This issue has been addressed and the crash you experienced should not occur anymore. Keep us informed!

Kind regards

Well I'm actually using only one Xposed module and it's "Greenify" (I've just check and Eddie is excluded from any "battery save policy")

Except for this module, it's exactly the same of the "original"  Resurrection Remix

Hello!

This type of issue has been addressed on the beta 2, can you please test it? The crashes you experienced should not occur anymore. Keep us posted!

Kind regards

@theimmelman

Hello!

Log datestamp is now in local format while log export keeps datestamps  in UTC. This solution provides comfort for everybody. ;)

Kind regards

If you import a profile from another OpenVPN application (such as NordVPN) which requires user and password instead of certificate and key, the connection fails to start. Attached screenshots.

Log:

Registros de Eddie creados en 06 jul. 2018 21:03:55 UTC

06 jul. 2018 21:03:28 UTC [debug] NativeMethods.OVPN3.Init succeeded (version=3)
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] DoUpdate - Begin
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] OnConnectAttach
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] OnConnectRun
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC
Exception: client start failed (Eddie.NativeAndroidApp.OpenVPNTunnel.Run)
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] ClearContexts
06 jul. 2018 21:03:48 UTC
Exception: client not initialized (Eddie.NativeAndroidApp.OpenVPNDispatcher.Run)

Hello!

This type of issue has been addressed on the beta 2, can you please test it? The crashes you experienced should not occur anymore. Keep us posted!

Kind regards

Hi guys,

• Downloaded beta 2 from Play Store and works almost flawlessly
  • Like com version it shuts suddenly down after a while, but I can't tell after how much time because it happened overnight
  • I can't provide a log because when I restarted Eddie, the app provided new session's log

• Downloaded beta 2 from Play Store and works almost flawlessly
  • Like com version it shuts suddenly down after a while, but I can't tell after how much time because it happened overnight
  • I can't provide a log because when I restarted Eddie, the app provided new session's log

Thank you for the report!

As you know one of our testing machines is extremely similar to yours and we could not manage to reproduce the issue, which makes it even more challenging to be shot.

Please note that in our Play Store console we have NO crash reports for the beta 2 so far. Therefore we can't even see a crash report in your case. We will keep investigating.

Kind regards

If you import a profile from another OpenVPN application (such as NordVPN) which requires user and password instead of certificate and key, the connection fails to start. Attached screenshots.

Log:

Registros de Eddie creados en 06 jul. 2018 21:03:55 UTC

06 jul. 2018 21:03:28 UTC [debug] NativeMethods.OVPN3.Init succeeded (version=3)
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] DoUpdate - Begin
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] OnConnectAttach
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] OnConnectRun
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC
Exception: client start failed (Eddie.NativeAndroidApp.OpenVPNTunnel.Run)
06 jul. 2018 21:03:47 UTC [debug] ClearContexts
06 jul. 2018 21:03:48 UTC
Exception: client not initialized (Eddie.NativeAndroidApp.OpenVPNDispatcher.Run)

Hello!

We need to rewrite the whole logging system for the next version, otherwise troubleshooting cases like yours become challenging if not impossible. This is a bad heritage from a previous Eddie version wrong implementation but it will be fixed.

Kind regards

In the client area on my desktop computer when  my android phone is connected it shows up as :

Session N. 2 Device: desktop

Server: Minkar gb.pngUnited Kingdom, Maidenhead

Is that a correct description of Device type for a mobile using 1.0 beta 2 ?

Hello!

Yes. However we are evaluating whether to discern such connections for your comfort, so that you can have more precise info in your account "Client Area". Do you think this feature (mind you, we still need to consider how to implement it, if possible) would add comfort to your AirVPN usage?

Kind regards

In the client area on my desktop computer when  my android phone is connected it shows up as :

Session N. 2 Device: desktop

Server: Minkar gb.pngUnited Kingdom, Maidenhead

Is that a correct description of Device type for a mobile using 1.0 beta 2 ?

Hello!

Yes. However we are evaluating whether to discern such connections for your comfort, so that you can have more precise info in your account "Client Area". Do you think this feature (mind you, we still need to consider how to implement it, if possible) would add comfort to your AirVPN usage?

Kind regards

I would certainly prefer for my android connection to be properly described as android rather than desktop which it is not 

thanks

eddie 1.0 11 work ok updated to 1,0 beta 1crashes app does not open same whith 1.0 beta 2 running android x86 oreo 8.1 for pc

Hello!

Can you please try 1.0 beta 2 now? This issue has been addressed and the crash you experienced should not occur anymore. Keep us informed!

Kind regards

Can confirm - crashes have been resolved. Thanks for the quick work here.

Only feature I am desperate for is network lock for Nougat or less (Oreo has native VPN lock but many devices won't see that).

Now I get an error "Error: Internal error (m_ServiceMessenger is null)". To fix this, if you've used other VPN apps, you need to 'forget' the other VPN: system settings -> VPN -> cog icon -> 'Forget VPN'.

Bug Report

Samsung Galaxy S9+

Android 8.0.0

Eddie version 1.0 beta 2 (latest version)

When the VPN is connected and I tap on the "Logs" on the side menu, the whole app freezes and does not get fixed until I force stop and restart the app

Hi guys,

Downloaded beta 2 from Play Store and works almost flawlessly

Like com version it shuts suddenly down after a while, but I can't tell after how much time because it happened overnight

I can't provide a log because when I restarted Eddie, the app provided new session's log

Thank you for the report!

As you know one of our testing machines is extremely similar to yours and we could not manage to reproduce the issue, which makes it even more challenging to be shot.

Please note that in our Play Store console we have NO crash reports for the beta 2 so far. Therefore we can't even see a crash report in your case. We will keep investigating.

Kind regards

Hi, guys,

after 48h nothing happened and everything seems OK.

May I ask you if it could be possible having the same infos of OpenVPN for Android in the notification center? I mean

• Speed Up/Down
  • Connected for XX hours

Thank you in advance for the amazing work

eddie 1.0 11 work ok updated to 1,0 beta 1crashes app does not open same whith 1.0 beta 2 running android x86 oreo 8.1 for pc

Hello!

Eddie for Android is distributed with ARM7 and ARM8 libraries. We have never planned to publicly distribute x86 libraries but we use them for the emulator, of course. Currently there is no plan to include x86 support, we are not convinced that the remarkable increase in size of the apk would justify this support, we're sorry. You can anyway compile Eddie Android edition for x86 of course.

Kind regards

Kind regards

Can confirm - crashes have been resolved. Thanks for the quick work here.

Only feature I am desperate for is network lock for Nougat or less (Oreo has native VPN lock but many devices won't see that).

Now I get an error "Error: Internal error (m_ServiceMessenger is null)". To fix this, if you've used other VPN apps, you need to 'forget' the other VPN: system settings -> VPN -> cog icon -> 'Forget VPN'.

Hello!

We're very glad to know that the crashes do not occur anymore.

About Network Lock, Oreo does have this option but various manufacturers (for example Samsung) keep it disabled. It is not realistic, at this time, to plan an Eddie that relies on Oreo Network Lock, so we are working to improve the "best effort against leaks" that you already have with "tun persist" and "Save battery" options when they are both enabled.

The anomaly you mention about the ServiceMessenger is now under investigation, thank you.

Kind regards

Hi, guys,

after 48h nothing happened and everything seems OK.

May I ask you if it could be possible having the same infos of OpenVPN for Android in the notification center? I mean

• Speed Up/Down
  • Connected for XX hours

Thank you in advance for the amazing work

Hello!

Great stability, thank you for the report.

Yes, they are planned, with other features as well, for the next version which will quickly go in alpha and then beta testing as soon as we have the 1.0 stable. As you know, ideally the current roadmap includes the 1.0 RC1 for July the 15th and the 1.0 just before the end of July. Therefore, it's plausible that you can have some 1.1 beta 1 within the first half of August with various new features, including the ones you ask for. Gradually, we will implement various features that you can find in Eddie for desktop platforms.

Kind regards

Bug Report

Samsung Galaxy S9+

Android 8.0.0

When the VPN is connected and I tap on the "Logs" on the side menu, the whole app freezes and does not get fixed until I force stop and restart the app

Thank you!

We see. The issue is caused by how Android inflates webviews. The problem was born when Google decided to implement ChromeWebView, with more features at the price of a slower and larger code. When Android inflates the view, it needs a lot of time, and on some systems this can cause the application to "freeze".  We will get rid of webview in Eddie to make it faster, starting from 1.0 beta 3.

Kind regards

Bug Report

Samsung Galaxy S9+

Android 8.0.0

Thank you!

We see. The issue is caused by how Android inflates webviews. The problem was born when Google decided to implement ChromeWebView, with more features at the price of a slower and larger code. When Android inflates the view, it needs a lot of time, and on some systems this can cause the application to "freeze".  We will get rid of webview in Eddie to make it faster, starting from 1.0 beta 3.

Kind regards

Thank you guys! I really like that AirVPN staff actually listens to it's customers!

Bug Report

1+3

Android 8.0

I've tried "OpenVPN for Android" and OpenVPN Connect as well as Eddie

In the settings for Android (More>VPN>VPN app) and then I enable both "Always on" and "block connection without VPN".

The issue is, when I switch from WIFI to mobile data, the VPN can't connect to any server and so I have to disable both "Always on" and "block connection without VPN" settings, then I have to turn off mobile data and turn it back on for it to even be able to get a 4g connection.When I connect to the server I can re-enable the always on and Block connection options.

Going from Mobile to WiFi is fine and it always connects without a problem. Sometimes, even after I've connected, it will lose VPN connection and I have to redo the process above.