Not connected, Your IP: 54.198.157.15
LlamaLord

Better Speeds? I just upgraded my internet...

So i just upgraded my internet to 1GB down & 35 up and wanted to know how i can get my torrents to get a little after over AirVPN?  I get a good 5-8MB down but that is about it and always have for the most part and able 1MB up sometimes.  Anyway to get t he speeds a bit faster?  I have seen a few ports around here but nothing helped...

Hello!

Do you mean gigabit speeds?

You can refer to the guide in my signature, to find guides on how to set up a torrent client properly. This includes port-forwarding.

Other than that, it could be helpful to know how you're running things:

- Are you using the Eddie client?

- Is it a wired connection?

- Did you try using different protocols, such as SSL 443, through Eddie?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

With just that information, it is hard to say where the problem is.

First you should check what kind of speeds you get via VPN. I personally like iperf, but speedtest.net is more userfriendly and gives accurate enough results.

If you aren't getting decent speeds, try other servers. Remember that the server closest to you might not be the fastest one! If you are in EU, the NL servers might give you good speeds.

Also OpenVPN is known to be problematic on some Windows machines, IIRC it was something about the TAP-drivers. There might be some posts on the forums about that, but I am unable to help with that.

As far as torrents go, try downloading some of the popular linux distros via torrent. They are usually seeded by many servers with fast upload speeds, so you should be getting the maximum download speed you can manage via VPN.

However getting 1Gbit speeds via VPN is gonna be almost impossible, but I can confirm that Air servers are able to saturate my 300Mbps fiber just fine.

Be aware that connection is encrypted with a pretty strong encryption.

A download at 350mbps for me eats a modern Intel core @ 4 Ghz completely ( 100% utilization on one core ), it can't get any faster.

I believe that for 1gbps through OpenVPN you would need a CPU that will not yet be invented for another 10 years at least, on both ends of the connection.

Be aware that connection is encrypted with a pretty strong encryption.

A download at 350mbps for me eats a modern Intel core @ 4 Ghz completely ( 100% utilization on one core ), it can't get any faster.

I believe that for 1gbps through OpenVPN you would need a CPU that will not yet be invented for another 10 years at least, on both ends of the connection.

Actually the crypto isn't that hard on your processor, especially if you have somewhat recent CPU with AES-NI enabled.

You can test the crypto performance with these two commands (AirVPN thread about this: https://airvpn.org/topic/18322-how-to-quicly-test-theoretical-openvpn-throughput/):

dawind@wind:~$ openvpn --genkey --secret /tmp/secret
dawind@wind:~$ time openvpn --test-crypto --secret /tmp/secret --verb 0 --tun-mtu 20000 --cipher aes-256-cbc

Then divide 3200 with the time it took to run the last command and you get the speed in Mbps. For example, I am writing this on my old laptop which got 650Mbps, so I am quite sure my desktop or server could go near 1Gbit.

Gbit speeds are possible in theory, but in real life you obviously won't see those speeds. Especially on Air, as you would need an empty server to achieve those speeds anyway.

But thanks for bringing this up, I completely forgot that the hardware could actually be bottlenecking @LlamaLord, 8MB/s would be expected if he has an old processor with bad singlecore performance and no AES-NI.

Hello!

Do you mean gigabit speeds?

You can refer to the guide in my signature, to find guides on how to set up a torrent client properly. This includes port-forwarding.

Other than that, it could be helpful to know how you're running things:

- Are you using the Eddie client? (2.13.6)

- Is it a wired connection? (Wired)

- Did you try using different protocols, such as SSL 443, through Eddie? (Yes using UDP 443 )

My current setup.

CM1000 Moden

R9000 Router

I am not looking to use 1GB of speeds i now i will not get that but i was hoping to get better download and upload speeds.

dawind@wind:~$ time openvpn --test-crypto --secret /tmp/secret --verb 0 --tun-mtu 20000 --cipher aes-256-cbc

Any way to do this on Windows ?

The openvpn itself is doing whatever it's doing, and it took a few seconds to complete, but "time" has a different meaning on Windows.

Any way to do this on Windows ?

The openvpn itself is doing whatever it's doing, and it took a few seconds to complete, but "time" has a different meaning on Windows.

Never had time anything on Windows, so I am just relying on Google, but the equivalent seems to be Measure-Command

Eddie and AIR are pretty easy on my systems.  I am not on torrents now but I just checked on a 210 meg line and using a one hop AIR server I am pulling 198 meg down consistently.  All linux and strong processor to remove bottlenecks.

What do you expect? 198mbit on a 210mbit line sounds totally fine, a little speed hit when using OpenVPN is totally normal....

I run into this exact question all the time in other forums I'm in. I think we should better understand how a VPN, VPS, and remote servers work. There's a bunch of factors that can and will effect speeds down and up. I obviously won't get into here because it'll be TL;DR.

There absolutely will be bottlenecks, Openvpn creates it's own small bottleneck, you're connecting to a server likely in another country with other users populating that server so ya your data throughput will slow down - regardless of how fast your ISP sub is - that is just a fact of tech science. 

I've tested many VPN's both in the lab on glass and home connections on glass with different configurations that always results in normally slower speeds. 

Some VPN's are worse than others and (I'm not blowing smoke here) I can say Air's servers are faster than most . It's a very small trade off we make when we decide that security/privacy will take precedence over our unrealistic expectations of ISP-like speeds.

You can try the basics first like switching to servers that are closer to you, try different ports and protocols, use a lan cable instead of wifi, easy stuff like that. Even sign up for trials with other VPN's and do speed tests: you'll find that there isn't a single vpn that can actually produce the speeds you are looking for.

But what ever you do, do not lower your crypto! - it's just a no brainer imho. You can try port forwarding and such but at the end of the day you are only going to be as fast as your hardware/software and the server you are connected to. 

Peace!

Very nice summary, inradius! Just one experience I want to add: With one ISP, I had abysmally low speeds when using AirVPN until I switched to OpenVPN over SSL (which of course carriers a higher speed penalty than only OpenVPN). I'm not sure what caused the issue or whether this ISP was actively throttling OpenVPN. Generally, AirVPN servers are very fast compared to other providers I tried- have a look at the status page to get an realistic idea of what to expect.

I understand i am not going to get the speeds i am paying for through Eddie but when i am downloading a torrent i am hoping to get a bit better then what i am getting now...I just want to make sure all my settings are good.  I have followed the tuts that are on here and seems to not make a difference. Downloading something now and i am cap at around 3MB and i have connected to the closest server next to me with a 17 ping.  Just did a speed test and got the following.  25MBPS Down 26MBPS Up.  Would love to get that on my torrent client...if i can.

Are you running OpenVPN on a router (you have written something about r9000 above)? If so, please try using it on your PC via eddie or openvpn directly for comparison. Most people achieve far higher speeds with AirVPN - personally I get 40-48mbps on a 50mbps line consistently with fast torrents such as linux distributions. Have you read the suggestions in this thread? There is little we can help you with as long as you just write that the speeds you are getting are rather slow. Please describe your setup and what you have tried so far in detail following the suggestions in this thread.

Are you running OpenVPN on a router (you have written something about r9000 above)? If so, please try using it on your PC via eddie or openvpn directly for comparison. Most people achieve far higher speeds with AirVPN - personally I get 40-48mbps on a 50mbps line consistently with fast torrents such as linux distributions. Have you read the suggestions in this thread? There is little we can help you with as long as you just write that the speeds you are getting are rather slow. Please describe your setup and what you have tried so far in detail following the suggestions in this thread.

Here are my following setup.

Running a windows 10 PC with VM workstation and a windows 7 VM.

The windows 7 VM is running my torrents and Eddie.

I am using qbittorent

Eddie Settings

Protocols - UDP 443

TAP-Windows 9.22.1. 

If i missed anything else please let me know.

Bridged or NAT for the VM? Have you tried other protocols? Is this only an issue with qbittorrent and if so, a bad configuration? What speeds are you achieving outside the VM with AirVPN? And just out of interest: you have set up a VM for the purpose of torrenting as it seems - why on earth would you not use GNU/Linux for that?