Not connected, Your IP: 44.193.80.126
Guest fangorn

Eddie is lacking documentation

I am using Eddie and all the options are lacking documentation! There should be a document that explains each possible option. A few examples I just came across. I am using the Linux version of Eddie.

Routes:

• When inserting a hostname to whitelist, I get the following message:

WARNING: you used hostname in routes, but your DNS is not whitelisted in Network Lock. We reccomend to use only IP address or enable 'Network Lock > Allow DNS'. Continue anyway?

Setting aside the typo here (reccomend), this message could be clearer. What is the difference between addresses allowed in Routes, and addresses allowed in Network lock?

So I go to Network lock. There is no option called "Allow DNS".

• There is an option called "Allow detected DNS." What does "detected" mean here? Who detects what? From where? My system DNS? The DNS manually configured in AirVPN? The DNS owned by AirVPN (the default one)?
  • Allow ping: Does this mean if I ping servers, it will not go through the VPN?
  • Mode: What is the difference between Automatic and Linux iptables?
  • Addresses allowed: Again, what is the difference to allowed routes?

DNS:

• DNS Switch mode: Automatic/Resolvconf/renaming. What do these options do?
  • Check AirVPN DNS: What does it check? What does this mean?
  • DNS Servers: Are these additional to the included DNS? What are the priorities?

Advanced:

• IPv6: What is the difference between None and Disabled?

I'm a computer professional but still couldn't make sense of these options, so there is clearly something going wrong here If anybody could answer these questions right here, that would be great.

Best regards

Hello!

It's actually on my to-do list to create such (further) documentation of Eddie's features, so you may get your wish at some point

Also, to see the latest changes, I strongly recommend that you use the experimental client. The how and where of that, can be found in the link in my signature. It adds, takes away and/or moves some things you mentioned.

Here's some stuff on some features, from the FAQ.

Here's some stuff on Network Lock features, from the FAQ.

Then there's the standard page about Eddie, with references to the actual software itself.

As for actually using the Routes feature, I created a small writeup on that.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Ok thanks! So what does "Allow detected DNS" do? Will it leak my DNS requests? Of course that's a big no-go.

Ok thanks! So what does "Allow detected DNS" do? Will it leak my DNS requests? Of course that's a big no-go.

I am also interested in the answer, I cannot find anything about it in LZ1 links (other than "we enabled "Allow detected DNS", as you would otherwise get a warning" in the small writeup, but it is not explained).

Any update on this?

Documentation that explains every single feature inside Eddie would be enormously helpful.

Nope, no update.

I keep thinking about how to do it however.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I too am perplexed by the "allow detected DNS" setting. I've been wondering what it does since I first noticed it about 5 years ago?