Not connected, Your IP: 34.228.168.200
corrado

Alternative AirVPN client with provider-independent double-hop support (GNU/Linux)

Hi,

Bypass works from the terminal and GUI, thanks

Although I'm still struggling to get Connect to connect, I will keep trying.

I concur.  Your development cycle is certainly fast...!  I hope you don't run out of ideas and improvements!

Another tweak - concerning the downloading and uploading monitor with the data and speed display - could it be user controlled for units, or automatically switch to higher units...ie MB to GB, etc?  Also, prevent the left and right jumping of text by using a monospaced font or just arrange to a vertical layout?  This one is not a biggie.

Great work - thank you again.  Your latest fixes helped me revert to a normal state in my system upon exit.

Qomui keeps getting better and better with each new version.

Thank you @corrado

Hi Corrado,

I seem to have a problem again starting qomui.

Qomui 0.6.4 was running fine for a while, then suddenly

I couldnt connect anymore selecting a server in the server

list of the gui. I saw that you had a new version released so

I decided to remove qomui completely and reinstall using the

new .deb

I removed qomui with: sudo apt-get remove --purge qomui

And then also did a 'sudo apt autoremove'

then I ran the installation of the new deb (0.7.0)

Now when I try and run qomui-gui I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/qomui-gui", line 6, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3088, in <module>
    @_call_aside
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3072, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3101, in _initialize_master_working_set
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 574, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 892, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 778, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'pycountry' distribution was not found and is required by qomui

Do I have missing dependencies? How can I fix this issue?

Thanks Corrado.

Hi,

Bypass works from the terminal and GUI, thanks

Although I'm still struggling to get Connect to connect, I will keep trying.

So you could start it in bypass mode? I'm not sure kde connect will work in bypass mode properly as those kde apps are deeply integrated in the plasma ecosystem.

Another tweak - concerning the downloading and uploading monitor with the data and speed display - could it be user controlled for units, or automatically switch to higher units...ie MB to GB, etc?  Also, prevent the left and right jumping of text by using a monospaced font or just arrange to a vertical layout?  This one is not a biggie.

Thanks for your suggestions. I generally don't want to bloat the gui with too many options but automatically switching to higher units is a great idea.

I dropped the pycountry depedency in the last release, so I have no idea what went wrong there. You can install pycountry via "apt install python3-pycountry" to fix this issue but it is definitely not needed anymore.

So you could start it in bypass mode? I'm not sure kde connect will work in bypass mode properly as those kde apps are deeply integrated in the plasma ecosystem.

Yes it started the connect GUI, both devices remain unreachable but I know its not an issue with Qomui now.

Version 0.7.1 released: You can now start a secondary vpn tunnel for bypass applications (e.g. running firefox and bittorrent via different vpn servers).

Changelog:

- [new] secondary vpn tunnel in bypass mode - EXPERIMENTAL
- [change] download statistics switch to higher units automatically
- [change] using QThread for OpenVPN/WireGuard process now
- [change] using alternative url if checking external ip address fails
- [change] 20 sec timeout for Openvpn connections attempt
- [bugfix] some temporary files not deleted after importing servers
- [bugfix] Qomui doesn't recognize when OpenVPN connection attempts fail due to fatal errors

Additional notes:
- cli is not working with versions 0.7.0 and 0.7.1

DEB-package:

qomui-0.7.1-amd64.deb

RPM-package:

qomui-0.7.1-1.x86_64.rpm

Hi Corrado,

I seem to have a problem again starting qomui.

Qomui 0.6.4 was running fine for a while, then suddenly

I couldnt connect anymore selecting a server in the server

list of the gui. I saw that you had a new version released so

I decided to remove qomui completely and reinstall using the

new .deb

I removed qomui with: sudo apt-get remove --purge qomui

And then also did a 'sudo apt autoremove'

then I ran the installation of the new deb (0.7.0)

Now when I try and run qomui-gui I get the following:

File "/usr/local/bin/qomui-gui", line 6, in <module>

from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3088, in <module>

@_call_aside

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3072, in _call_aside

f(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3101, in _initialize_master_working_set

working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 574, in _build_master

ws.require(__requires__)

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 892, in require

needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 778, in resolve

raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'pycountry' distribution was not found and is required by qomui

Thanks Corrado.

I dropped the pycountry depedency in the last release, so I have no idea what went wrong there. You can install pycountry via "apt install python3-pycountry" to fix this issue but it is definitely not needed anymore. It would be interesting to know if /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qomui-0.7.0-py3.7.egg-info/requires.txt contains a reference to pycountry. If so, you can also delete the line there.

Small update with some bugfixes - version 0.7.2:

- [change] cli supports new import and connection methods
- [bugfix] timer for connection attempts may close active OpenVPN tunnel
- [bugfix] multiple widgets shown if bypass VPN reconnects
- [bugfix] wait cursor doesn't always reset
- [bugfix] Openvpn not reconnecting when process dies unexpectedly

DEB-package:

qomui-0.7.2-amd64.deb

RPM-package:

qomui-0.7.2-1.x86_64.rpm

Hi Corrado

I downloaded the latest version of .deb Qomui for linux mint but have issues starting it (I must admit I am new to linux).

When I to start it it asks me whether I want to start/enable/cancel. I choose start or enable but then nothing happens.

This is what the Terminal says after sudo qomui-gui:

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
DBus Error: Qomui-Service is currently not available
  File "/usr/bin/qomui-gui", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('qomui==0.7.2', 'gui_scripts', 'qomui-gui')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qomui/qomui_gui.py", line 3534, in main
    ex = QomuiGui()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qomui/qomui_gui.py", line 198, in __init__
    self.qomui_service.disconnect("main")
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.459 was not provided by any .service files

Maybe you can help me with that^^

Thanks

@Triss_M: Did this happen right after installation? In rare cases, it is necessary then to reinitialize the dbus.service. As this can be tricky, though, I recommend a reboot. Also, never start qomui as root - it is not designed to work that way for security reasons.

Hi !

I wanted to try this new client, but : I run on SolydX Linux (a debian 9 with xfce), and I can not install the 0.6 .deb. «Dependency is not satisfiable : cgroup-lite»

I wanted to try this new client, but : I run on SolydX Linux (a debian 9 with xfce), and I can not install the 0.6 .deb. «Dependency is not satisfiable : cgroup-lite»

Version 0.6.0 is outdated. The dependency issue with Debian stable has been fixed in recent releases. Here is the link to download the latest deb package.

@Triss_M: Did this happen right after installation? In rare cases, it is necessary then to reinitialize the dbus.service. As this can be tricky, though, I recommend a reboot. Also, never start qomui as root - it is not designed to work that way for security reasons.

Thank you! I reinstalled it again and it works more or less. However, I doubt that the double hop works properly. I click on hop on one server, and then on connect to another. It says that it connects to the second server (the loading status above stops at the half, however, I can see it in the logs) but there is no word whether the actual hop was done properly. Is there a way I can check this? Otherwise, I have to establish a connection through Eddie first and then make the second through qomui.

Thank you! I reinstalled it again and it works more or less. However, I doubt that the double hop works properly. I click on hop on one server, and then on connect to another. It says that it connects to the second server (the loading status above stops at the half, however, I can see it in the logs) but there is no word whether the actual hop was done properly. Is there a way I can check this?

If you initialize a double hop connection you should receive at least two desktop notifications informing you whether the connection to each of both servers was successful. There is only one progress bar, though. Also, the progress bar doesn't really measure the progress but just goes back and forth to indicate that Qomui is connecting. You can also check the log to see whether two connections have been made or why it failed. If it worked, both servers should be displayed: "Active connection" server2 "via" server1. To really find out, you'd have to use tools like wireshark to monitor the traffic. Alternatively, you can look at the routing table. If it didn't work properly (and the firewall is active) you shouldn't be able to connect to the internet, too.

The crucial lines in the routing table ("ip route show") assuming "192.168.178.1" is your gateway, "eth0" your main network interface and tun0 is your first server's tun adapter are:

$remote_ip_second_server via $ip_tun0 dev tun0 
$remote_ip_first_server via 192.168.178.1 dev eth0

$ip_tun0 is usually something like 10.4.0.2. You can find the exact ip from your Openvpn logs. Look for the following line:

/usr/bin/ip addr add dev tun0 10.4.0.2/16 broadcast 10.4.255.255

Otherwise, I have to establish a connection through Eddie first and then make the second through qomui.

This won't work unless you fiddle with custom directives. You need to use "route-nopull" and then use up-scripts to set the routing manually. You can find those under /usr/share/qomui: hop.sh & hop_down.sh.

Version 0.7.3 is online. It mostly consists of bugfixes and some improvements for the firewall, particularly for those of you who don't want to have it always activated.

Changelog:

- [change] firewall is reloaded on gui startup
- [change] checking for presence of other firewall services such as ufw when configuring firewall
- [change] selection box for protocols adjusts size
- [bugfix] previous iptables rules are now properly saved/restored
- [bugfix] sometimes external is displayed twice
- [bugfix] Qomui crashes when adding folder and provider not specified
- [bugfix] WireGuard dns-servers not set correctly when second tunnel in bypass active
- [bugfix] manually imported WireGuard configs are not added to server list - [issue #24](https://github.com/corrad1nho/qomui/issues/24)
- [bugfix] potential permission error for temporary files created during importing configs

DEB:

qomui-0.7.3-amd64.deb

RPM:

qomui-0.7.3-1.x86_64.rpm

Version 0.7.4 is online. Main change is that I'm now building packages (except for Arch) with OpenSuse Build Service. Those can be download from here. The added benefit is that this allows adding Qomui as a repository to your packet manager.

Changelog:

- [change] source and binary packages now provided by OpenSuse Build Service
- [change] added support for OpenSuse Leap 15 and OpenSuse Tumbleweed
- [change] split Qomui into more modules and started commenting code
- [bugfix] bypass tab not shown even though it is active
- [bugfix] progress bar shown twice for the same action
- [bugfix] manually adding config files fails if "proto" line not present
- [bugfix] import may fail if directory for certificates/keys does not exist
- [bugifx] timestamp not updated after auto-updating servers

I can't install 0.74, as I couldn't install 0.73 yesterday. (.deb)

I added the repository, but no change.

The error message I get is :

E: qomui: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Suggestions : I would like have anywhere a witness of the status of the «network lock». I must add that when qomui exits, it doesn't free the internet connection. I have to restart my machine when this happens.

All right. I could now install 0.74. But not through the package manager (synaptic) : that one gave the same error message. So I uninstalled the whole thing, downloaded the .deb, and I could install it through GDebi. I had to fumble around : all the preferences were gone, and of course I had no internet connection. Good that I still a functional Eddie around...

All right. I could now install 0.74. But not through the package manager (synaptic) : that one gave the same error message. So I uninstalled the whole thing, downloaded the .deb, and I could install it through GDebi. I had to fumble around : all the preferences were gone, and of course I had no internet connection. Good that I still a functional Eddie around...

Glad it finally worked and I'll look into the synaptic issue - could it be that the previous, broken package was still cached? I'm sorry your preferences were lost, but this only happens if you uninstall Qomui. I made the switch to OpenSuse Build Service as it makes it much easier to support a wider range of distributions but it meant that some "hacks" I used before to make the deb-packaging work  could not be used any longer.

I have a few questions about the «pings». What does mean when the answer is N/A for one server, while I can actually connect to it, and get through it a connection to the Internet. Second question, about the «Server» part of Qomui : I had the impression that the servers were listed by smallest ping (so, by smallest latency), but now it's not so clear, since I have right now 3 N/A on top of the list.

This not an emergency, everything works (as far as I know). I'm just curious. And of course, it would great to know where the server with the least latency  is to find.

Oh, I forgot : I don't have any «Bypass» tab. And since I have to exit qomui (or eddie, for that case) to use my scanner, I would have really liked to try...

Oh, I forgot : I don't have any «Bypass» tab. And since I have to exit qomui (or eddie, for that case) to use my scanner, I would have really liked to try...

The bypass-tab only shows up when you activate it in the options tab.

I have a few questions about the «pings». What does mean when the answer is N/A for one server, while I can actually connect to it, and get through it a connection to the Internet. Second question, about the «Server» part of Qomui : I had the impression that the servers were listed by smallest ping (so, by smallest latency), but now it's not so clear, since I have right now 3 N/A on top of the list.

N/A basically means that pinging the server failed or the ping is too high (> 999 ms). That does not necessarily mean you can't connect to it. Normally, servers are sorted by ping (lowest at the top) and N/A servers should be at the end. Does this happen all the time and are all other servers in the correct order? Maybe try restarting qomui and see if N/A servers are still at the top.

Another thing: I realize now that my deb & rpm packages were broken (mainly because of systemd service files) - I'm in the process of fixing this now and will let you know once you can add the qomui repository. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but proper packaging and particularly integrating qomui as a systemd service is hard....