Not connected, Your IP: 3.90.242.249
B3nB3n

Alternative for China 2018 (a second VPN)

Hello everybody,

first of all, I love AirVPN, and I will continue to use it. It works perfectly 99,9% of the times. But for these 00,1% I need a good alternative.

I am living in China. I need a good VPN for China. Price isn’t important. It would be nice to run on Android and Windows and have a similar excellent policy like AirVPN.

Does anybody have a suggestion? (and be sure that it works in China in the year 2018).

Thank you very much for your help!

If you're looking for something that just works, I might recommend ExpressVPN. Recently they've added a network block feature in their latest version - your connection is blocked if you lose your connection. That's one of the reasons I've preferred AirVPN since it's integrated into their client. I tend to trust AirVPN a bit more than Express since some of their server locations are in areas that I don't consider secure (Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, etc), but they have proved to be reliable. 

If you need something that works in a pinch in Windows, you might want to consider setting up your own VPN on a private server (or at a friend's house) using SoftEther. It can be slow at times in China, but it usually connects if other things aren't.

Hello!

OpenVPN over SSL works just fine and you don't need anything else.

However, we're also interested in trying to bypass some blocks in UDP, where UDP is not blocked globally, or in TCP without the aid of an additional TLS tunnel.

For such purpose tls-crypt might help. It is now available in Chara and Castor, and will be deployed onto most or all servers in a month or so. We would be glad to receive feedbacks (not here, only in private tickets) from China or Iran. Please run Eddie 2.14 to support the new feature or re-generate properly the configuration files to test. UPDATE: tls-crypt is now available on all servers, please see next messages in this thread.

Kind regards

Hi! New user. OpenVPN + SSL or SSH seems not working... It connects, but speeds are very slow.

Where can I find eddie 2.14?

edit: ofc top of the forum... nvm!!

Hello!

OpenVPN over SSL works just fine and you don't need anything else.

However, we're also interested in trying to bypass some blocks in UDP, where UDP is not blocked globally, or in TCP without the aid of an additional TLS tunnel.

For such purpose tls-crypt might help. It is now available in Chara and Castor, and will be deployed onto most or all servers in a month or so. We would be glad to receive feedbacks (not here, only in private tickets) from China or Iran. Please run Eddie 2.14 to support the new feature or re-generate properly the configuration files to test.

Kind regards

I've been using the TLS CRYPT servers for the past few weeks, and I've seen even more being added.   so far I have had no issues or complaints.

thank you for your work on these upgrades 

Hello!

We have now multiple confirmations from various mainland China towns according to which simply connecting to exit-IP addresses 3 and 4 with protocol TCP is perfect to bypass blocks without any additional tunnel. Port 443 is recommended but it looks like connections to port 80 work fine as well.

Kind regards

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but is it possible to use VPN over SSL with tls-crypt on iOS. Don't see any way to do it. Thanks!

2 hours ago, jgiambona said:

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but is it possible to use VPN over SSL with tls-crypt on iOS. Don't see any way to do it. Thanks!

iOS can't run stunnel unless it's jailbroken.  Besides, this question is offtopic for this thread.