Not connected, Your IP: 44.210.239.12
routeninja

Recommendations for OpenVPN Router

Hello all,

I am looking for an all around great router. I want one that will connect to Air, route certain IPs/Users out that tunnel and do the rest out normal WAN. I have a DDWRT router right now that is double NATting, so all users on that WiFi or plugged into that router go out through Air. However, I am only getting about 8Mbps and my connection is 50/50. I am not seeing the CPU go above 30% so I am not certain why that is.

I have heard that PFSense is the best option to use, but I dont want to spend $300 and it also sounds complicated. I have separate WAPs so a simple wired router would be fine for me. I want it to be good to go as soon as I gt it, I dont want to flash DDWRT or anything like that.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I am not an expert in this field, but if you don't want/can get your hands dirty with flashing custom firmware, you are probably out of luck. Simply because there is no OEM firmware (to my knowledge) to support OpenVPN connections and allow custom routing or create some advanced routing rules (all wifi to AirVPN, etc..)

I have router with Qualcomm IPQ8065 CPU (Zyxel NBG6817 flashed with LEDE - https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/zyxel/zyxel_nbg6817) and it is quite powerful in terms of routers (I can get 50mbps both ways - currently max for me. My line is 250/100 Mbps). Also if you use OpenVPN 2.4 and above on client and server side this can also help with throughput.

There are more powerful routers that cost around 100-200 eur (in my country) but I doubt they will do what you need without flashing custom firmware.

Turris Omnia or a pfSense own box. Anything less will not be as good and will not justify the financial expense.

Both are around for this or a little more than your budget so try to be a little flexible if you want something decent.

Note that this is a future proof expense, and you can use this hardware for around 5 years more with no need for upgrades.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I really like Ubiquiti's Edgerouter line. I think pfSense is better, but the difference is made up in cost.  The Edgerouter X costs around $50 and will do just about anything that you would need. You will get more speed out of a PC based pfSense router, but again...there's cost.

I've got an Edgerouter X setup with a dedicated tunnel to AirVPN. It's doing policy based routing, and my Guest WiFi network routes through AirVPN. In addition, I run a personal VPN server on the Edgerouter to securely access my camera network remotely. When I VPN into my home VPN, I can access my local cameras, and my home VPN will egress through AirVPN on the same router. This is great if you need to access your home network remotely and browse privately with AirVPN at the same time. It's a double VPN, but transparent to the client.

I've documented the process for AirVPN with Edgerouter and will be posting it here when I get my notes organized (I didn't see any Ubiquiti guides in the forums). I'm working out some issues with DNS leaks when policy based routing is in effect for LAN clients, but they should be easy to resolve (bad pun).

I have heard that PFSense is the best option to use, but I dont want to spend $300 and it also sounds complicated. I have separate WAPs so a simple wired router would be fine for me. I want it to be good to go as soon as I gt it, I dont want to flash DDWRT or anything like that.

I tried pfsense a few weeks ago, and i`m a total noob with networking and firewall stuff. Bought some hardware for a mini-itx system, an Intel dual nic card and it took many days of reading and trying to get it working. But now it works like i wanted (that`s almost 30MB/s trough vpn for the whole lan), without fans or moving parts so it`s totally silent, small and low-energy consuming.

I tried pfsense a few weeks ago, and i`m a total noob with networking and firewall stuff. Bought some hardware for a mini-itx system, an Intel dual nic card and it took many days of reading and trying to get it working. But now it works like i wanted (that`s almost 30MB/s trough vpn for the whole lan), without fans or moving parts so it`s totally silent, small and low-energy consuming.

30MB/s is a very decent speed, if by that you mean ~200Mbit/s connection in real tests and benchmarks like speedtest.net.

If you have a few minutes, it will be really helpful if you could post your setup, ISP and OpenVPN setup in the "Reviews" section:

https://airvpn.org/forum/29-reviews/

Thanks in advance, this might encourage other users to adjust to the same config.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Based upon some of the sage advice I've seen here, I, too, am considering upgrading my ISP service and some hardware, to include a pfSense router (looking into the SG-3100 -https://store.netgate.com/SG-3100.aspx). I'm not that tech savvy and would balk at attempting to flash firmware. I was told the SG-3100 might be as close to plug`n' play as currently possible; and, it's within my hardware budget. Has anyone had firsthand experience with it - especially with AirVPN?

My current ADSL speeds are only 6/.4, hence my motivation to upgrade ISP service. Unfortunately, from a pragmatic perspective, only two possible vendors adequately serve my region; one is a cable company with abysmal reliability and customer satisfaction ratings (speeds from 100/10 to 1G touted, but rarely delivered). The other is my current ISP who is pushing another version of their "internet service" that will offer (optimistic) speeds of 50/10. The respective vendors' costs are similar. Cost is not necessarily a determinate factor; whereas, reliability and satisfaction would be.

Any insights, advice, and guidance would be appreciated . . . Thanks.

i am using a Netgate SG2220 currently with the service..

1.7ghz processesor with 2gb of ram. Still working on getting everything working the way I need it

i am using a Netgate SG2220 currently with the service..

What speeds do you get on that one download/upload?

my connection is 100Mb down 10Mb up.  depending on the server i can get most of that speed.    sometimes its 80Mb down 10Mb up.

just depends how busy the server is i connect too.     the 3100 would be my next purchased or a quad core minnowboard 

Turris Omnia or a pfSense own box. Anything less will not be as good and will not justify the financial expense.

Both are around for this or a little more than your budget so try to be a little flexible if you want something decent.

Note that this is a future proof expense, and you can use this hardware for around 5 years more with no need for upgrades.

no that that's a router, was this company a kickstarter or something like that at one point or another?

no that that's a router, was this company a kickstarter or something like that at one point or another?

yes, if I recall correctly.

Based upon some of the sage advice I've seen here, I, too, am considering upgrading my ISP service and some hardware, to include a pfSense router (looking into the SG-3100 -https://store.netgate.com/SG-3100.aspx). I'm not that tech savvy and would balk at attempting to flash firmware. I was told the SG-3100 might be as close to plug`n' play as currently possible; and, it's within my hardware budget. Has anyone had firsthand experience with it - especially with AirVPN?

The SG-3100 will be my next router/choice .....to replace my Asus rt-16 routers.