Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.178.126
Sign in to follow this  
AftrshoX

uTorrent setup and port forwarding

hi, i just moved here from torrentpricay, due to lack of customer and magentic link support, and everything is great. i just have a question about port forward setup for utorrent and torrenting in general.

after reading this line in the FAQ;

"IMPORTANT: do NOT forward on your router the same ports you use on your listening services while connected to the VPN. Doing so exposes your system to correlation attacks and potentially causes uncencrypted packets to be sent outside the tunnel from your client."

I have setup UDP and TCP port forward on the website and set my utorrent listening port to the same, 4553. but on my router do i need to forward port 4553 to another port? im using a billion 7800nl and its currently set up to forward external port 4553 tcp+udp > internal port 4553. is this correct or is this what the warning is advising not to do?

any help and advice would be greatly appreaciated.

thank you

OP: router setup

also, here it says my internal ip address is 10.4.12.166, but the DHCP says its 192.168.1.2?

Hi,

"im using a billion 7800nl and its currently set up to forward external port 4553 tcp+udp > internal port 4553. is this correct or is this what the warning is advising not to do?"

Yes, that is exactly what you are being advised not to do. You should have no ports forwarded in your router whatsoever while using VPN.

"also, here it says my internal ip address is 10.4.12.166, but the DHCP says its 192.168.1.2"

Your ip address from your router is 192.168.1.2, the ip address you have on your vpn tunnel (from airvpn) is 10.4.12.166

This is how it should be. Your computer is connected to your router with the 192. addy and the vpn tunnel is connected to airvpn with the 10. addy.

Hope that helps. Also check here to see if you have potential port leaks. It will tell you at the bottom of the page if your forwarded ports are available on the open internet (and therefore your router is still allowing forwarding) : https://airvpn.org/ports/

Also check this forum article about DNS leakage.

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=2506&Itemid=142

Best wishes,

jz

thank you for your help.

should i disable automatic port forwarding in utorrent and have the listening port set to 4553 in utorrent and on the airvpn web page and leave it at that?

thanks again

after running the leak test i get one leak (see attachment). after installing the fix and restarting airvpn i get the same result? any ideas?

the Ip check returns an Ip address and location that is not my own (yay) but the majority of my taffic has a bad or medium rating. so should i start using the recommended jondofox firefox plugin?

thank you

thank you for your help.

should i disable automatic port forwarding in utorrent and have the listening port set to 4553 in utorrent and on the airvpn web page and leave it at that?

thanks again

Hello!

Please do not forward port 4553 on your router. Also disable UPnP on uTorrent, you don't need it since it must listen to port 4553 only. Read jessez message, he is right.

Finally, consider to prevent leaks in case of accidental VPN disconnection (the following instructions will also fix your DNS leak):

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=1713&Itemid=142

Kind regards

ok, thanks. I have disabled all of the above in utorrent and stopped any port forwading on my router. do i still need to port forward 4553 on the airvpn web page?

sorry for the confusion.

thank you

ok, thanks. I have disabled all of the above in utorrent and stopped any port forwading on my router. do i still need to port forward 4553 on the airvpn web page?

sorry for the confusion.

thank you

Hello!

Yes, you need to forward port 4553 for optimal performance. It is also necessary if you want to do initial seeding.

From the screenshot, it is visible that uTorrent uses a SOCKS proxy. Please be aware that according to proxy features, you might not have port forwarding anymore.

Kind regards

Hi,

My apologies, I wrote a reply last night but for some reason it didn't go through to the server.

Anyway, as far as the proxy in utorrent goes, you should uncheck the box that says "Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections" and under the proxy server "Type" see if "None" is an option, and set it for that. That could be why your speed isn't so hot.

As for your question about JonDO, that forum article is just pointing to places that you can get info about your browser and connection security. I personally wouldn't go through another proxy like jonDO, but there are people that do want lots of layers. Only you can decide how much of a performance hit you want to take for the added layer of security.

The way airvpn works, is that all the traffic on one server is mixed together going in and out of the internet, so that scrambles things up pretty well, and as long as you aren't downloading copyright materials from the USA servers you should be reasonably protected from anybody figuring out who or where you are. If you do want more layers, you could try tor/vidalia and see if that works for you.

There is a forum article here about multi-layering the security, but that can become quite complicated to work out in the first place and to fix when things aren't connecting. Again, you have to decide based on what you are doing.

This is some messy stuff to illustrate connection issues with proxies:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=2438&Itemid=142

Well, I can't find the other article I was thinking of, most likely the admins can help there. It was by someone who wanted socks proxy, then vpn, and then through to the tor network if I remember correctly.

"after running the leak test i get one leak (see attachment). after installing the fix and restarting airvpn i get the same result?"

I don't know if you got this fixed, but it looks like you are possibly using google DNS servers and one other one, so check that in your DNS settings, in control panel, network connections, "your current connection" / properties. I'm assuming you are using the airvpn software, and there should be a setting in there to make it use airvpns DNS server when connected to the vpn, although I don't use windows so that's a guess.

Here's the IP's of two DNS servers that the privacyfoundation.de have for public use: 87.118.104.203 and 87.118.109.2

Using those will give you more anonymity than using other public, ie Google, OpenDNS, etc, DNS servers, but maybe not better than airvpns. Again a judgement call.

I hope that helps,

jz

Well, I can't find the other article I was thinking of, most likely the admins can help there. It was by someone who wanted socks proxy, then vpn, and then through to the tor network if I remember correctly.

Hello!

Thank you for the post.

Maybe you refer to this thread:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=1928&Itemid=142

The way airvpn works, is that all the traffic on one server is mixed together going in and out of the internet, so that scrambles things up pretty well, and as long as you aren't downloading copyright materials from the USA servers you should be reasonably protected from anybody figuring out who or where you are. If you do want more layers, you could try tor/vidalia and see if that works for you.

The anonymity layer is just as strong in the USA servers as in any other server. p2p usage should be avoided in AirVPN over TOR, for both technical and ethical reasons about the TOR network.

@AftrshoX

If you don't have a proxy, just do not configure any program to use a proxy. Tunneling over a proxy may add an anonymity layer but may significantly decrease performance.

If you wish to tunnel transparently all the applications over Air over a proxy, look at this example:

https://airvpn.org/tor

If you want to perform partition of trust, Air over TOR is a strong solution. Please see also this post:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=54&limit=6&limitstart=6&Itemid=142#1745

Kind regards

Hi,

"Maybe you refer to this thread:

airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&a...=1928&Itemid=142"

Yes, that was the one, I don't know why I couldn't find it again, and thank you, I think it's an interesting concept to think about.

"The anonymity layer is just as strong in the USA servers as in any other server. p2p usage should be avoided in AirVPN over TOR, for both technical and ethical reasons about the TOR network."

Sorry, I should have explained what I was thinking better, which is not to imply the anonymity is any different in the US, just that because of the affiliation between the movie industry, the music industry and the US government, it's would be much more difficult for them to track down cases of piracy through torrents if the servers are not in the US. Not that I condone piracy, but each to his own as to why they are using a vpn.

I agree about using tor; there could be many unknowing people providing bandwidth for criminal purposes and could be many governments, hackers and who knows who-else hosting servers to see what they can dig up. I see tor as being somewhat of a crap-shoot.

Thanks again for a great service and the best tech support anywhere.

regards,

jz