Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.23.50

Hi I love airvpn .... 

I have used Shimo with it for a longer period of time, sometimes the connection seams to drop though (and I was a bit worried it would get me in trouble). 

Then my subscription ran out, so I started using Eddie. 

Now I have just started using setapp, which mean I can use Shimo for free. 

And I'm a bit in doubt if it would be best to dump Eddie and use Shimo again instead? 

Eddie seams to work fine, but the interface and ui is a bit hmm unpolished? 

Haven't really experienced it drop any connections though (haven't used it that much either though). 

So whats the best route for me to go here? 

Whats the best option? Shimo vs Eddie? 

Thnx

Hello!

We can't tell you what's best for you, because it comes down to your preferences. But we can look at some things:

1. Network Lock is Eddie-only. So if you want that kill-switch feature for your security when the connection drops, then Shimo may not be ideal.
  2. Eddie is FOSS software and therefore free, while it appears Shimo is commercial software and not necessarily open.
  3. For the 49€ Shimo costs, you could nearly get a 1 year Air sub. It seems Shimo is free until the next release.
  4. Eddie allows for easy changing of protocols and access to Tor while using Air.
  5. Eddie works on all major platforms, while it appears Shimo is MacOS-only.
  6. Eddie only uses OpenVPN, as that is the protocol Air prefers for many reasons. Which means it's not so important if Shimo supports all sorts of other protocols.
  7. Eddie has a highly specific purpose and so it seems it's more lightweight than Shimo, as Shimo caters to business clients too and so maybe it's less bloated.
  8. Eddie is going to become a client which is open for more than just Air.

I'm not sure what you mean with setapp. As far as I can see, it's a subscription service. How would it then be "free" to use Shimo, when you're paying $10 dollars a month for the ability to do so?

I would ask why you wouldn't just use the same money on Air and then use Eddie. As otherwise you're paying twice it seems.

I'm also surprised you think the interface is unpolished. Perhaps you should check out some of the competitors? I suppose you need to decide what matters most to you: functionality or a pretty UI.

You're not forced to use Eddie either. Many people don't.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hi again, thnx for the detailed answer. 

How I read your answer is basically this: 

Shimo looks like it's the best (most functional) but is not. 
Eddie does not look like it's good but really is the best in terms of functionality and stability. 

So it sounds like I should just keep using Eddie then, even if I don't think the UI design is as nice. 
It's only really the asthetics of the app that bugs me anyways + that I can't get rid of the dock icon. 
It seams to preform fine, and I like the "lock". 

Setapp is a subscription package I'm already using - and Shimo is part of that - so it won't cost me anything extra to use Shimo. 
Even if I use Eddie I will still be paying the 10 usd a month for setapp. 

The same way, I will keep using airvpn, even if i shift back to Shimo. 

Well Shimo looks like it has plenty of functionality. But I for instance don't need a built-in maps function, but perhaps you do.

Maybe I'm just from a different generation than you, but I think it's strange to pay a subscription fee for software that could be obtained for free legally.

Which was why I said you were sort of paying for Shimo . It's of course up to you how you use your money.

A number of people brought up issues with the dock icon I think.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Just in time:

https://github.com/VerSprite/research/blob/master/advisories/VS-2018-001.md

[VS-2018-001] Shimo VPN Client for MacOS Root Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

01-29-2018 - Contacted Shimno Support

01-29-2018 - Contacted Mailbutler GmbH at support@mailbutler.io

01-29-2018 - Received automated response from support system

02-02-2018 - No response Shimno Support

02-02-2018 - No response Mailbutler GmbH

02-07-2018 - Advisory released

Looks like security is not their priority/interest.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.