Not connected, Your IP: 35.168.113.41

Hello Airvpn team.

I have been getting very slow speed while using AirVPN. I’m only getting 30MBps downa nd about 11MBps up. instead of about 300MBps down and 12MBps up. This happens across all server. Some are slower then others. My ISP is Comcast.

Is this an issue on my end or is Comcast throdeling my internet because I’m going through a VPN almost all the time?

Any ideas VPN members?

Hello!

Please try different protocol and location combinations. I assume you're using Eddie.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Have the same kind of issue,

Just got a subscription a few days ago.

Tested it and it worked without any issues and getting my full speed for down and upload.

but 1 day after i lost connection and when reconnecting to several new server the speeds are like max 100 kb/s.

Don't understand why it worked from start and now not anymore.

sometimes i'm not even able to browse a simple website with it.

I've also experienced slow speeds with vpn on. Never had this before and this my third subsciption with AirVPN. Very satisfied customer, so I wonder why is this. Is this due to the deployment of ipv6 support?...

Grtz

I don't use eddie client, but openvpn config files and openvpnservice, Windows 10 Home edition...

I have been having the same issue. I've used this service for atleast 3-4 years without any speed issues, and the last month or so I have only been able to get at 10-11 max Mbits/s if you look at the "eddie speed log"....its excruciating. Torrents are maxing out right around 900KiBs - 1000KiBs. I have comcast xfinity 100Mbps connection. When I disconnect and close Eddie, I instantly go back to getting 7000-8000 KiBs on torrents. Speedtest websites confirm that while connected to eddie/airvpn I only get 10-12mbps.

I've searched all over looking for solutions, and I cant find anything.

Hello everyone. Thank you for all your reply’s.

I’m guessing this is an issue with Comcast throlldelimg openvpn traffic.

Do you guys think it could be the AirVPN servers themselves or just Comcast?

Airvpn staff. You want to pitch in your opinion?

A piece of information I forgot to mention is that this mostly only happens when I on connected to WiFi. When I’m connected through Ethernet, the speed is about 170-278 Mb/s downa dom 10.8-11.6 Mbp/s up.

My WiFi router setting have not changed.

Hello!

Please try different protocol and location combinations. I assume you're using Eddie.

I have tried different servers, protocols. It is the same or slower.

It's not really fair to claim AirVPN has "slow" speeds when you seemingly forget to mention you're connecting over WiFi, which has a far greater variance than a wire to the router. What router are you using (model number is useful too)? What Wifi technology does your router use? Most common is N or AC, and depending on distance from the device to the router depends on speeds (and WiFi is just slower in general. it is wireless after all).

Although, you are seeing an 81% reduction in speed (-227.8 mbps) over WiFi which is a little extreme, but is still very good considering. You will always get far slower speeds over wireless since that's the nature of the technology.

It's not really fair to claim AirVPN has "slow" speeds when you seemingly forget to mention you're connecting over WiFi, which has a far greater variance than a wire to the router. What router are you using (model number is useful too)? What Wifi technology does your router use? Most common is N or AC, and depending on distance from the device to the router depends on speeds (and WiFi is just slower in general. it is wireless after all).

Although, you are seeing an 81% reduction in speed (-227.8 mbps) over WiFi which is a little extreme, but is still very good considering. You will always get far slower speeds over wireless since that's the nature of the technology.

I’m not blaming Air at all for this issue. I’m blaming my ISP. I am aware and farmilar of WiFi being slower. I’m sitting right in front of the router all the time. I’m using a nighthawk x4 R7500v2. This router has served me very well. And I get my whole speed through my router when no connected to AurVPN.

The only conclusion that I’m coming to is that my ISP is using DPI (Deep Paclet Inspection) and notices that I’m using a VPN. So they throttling me.

I’m not blaming Air at all for this issue. I’m blaming my ISP. I am aware and farmilar of WiFi being slower. I’m sitting right in front of the router all the time. I’m using a nighthawk x4 R7500v2. This router has served me very well. And I get my whole speed through my router when no connected to AurVPN.

The only conclusion that I’m coming to is that my ISP is using DPI (Deep Paclet Inspection) and notices that I’m using a VPN. So they throttling me.

Yet you can get full speed over a wired connection using AirVPN, which wouldn't make sense just for wireless. More like something else is causing performance issues that is outside AirVPNs responsibility. 

This is how I usually test, irrespective of how I'm connected to my local network: open speedtest, pick a server from a major city that is not local (if you're in the LA area pick San Francisco or Seattle) and not managed by your ISP; test; turn the VPN on; test again on the same server.

A few reasons for this:

1. Most ISPs will optimize performance to the local speedtest server

2. By choosing a third party server and a different location you're also exciting your ISPs network

3. This will also be closer to the performance you'll get visiting a regular web site

I found that in many cases the performance is comparable, when it's not, I change VPN server

FWIW - Ive been having the same issues the last week or two when connected to AirVPN (also using the LA servers, Sabik most of the time). It ran fine for the last two months since Ive joined, but now its crawled to a halt. Any site I visit or any online operation takes minutes to load a single page now, almost like Im back on dial-up 20 years ago. I was just waiting for like five minutes for a single email to load up in Gmail, and the minute I disconnected from the VPN, everything is now lightning fast as it should be. Nothing has changed on my Mac or my home network at all either, it just started dragging and dragging one day. Maybe there's something going on with the LA area servers? Ive been jumping back and forth between Merope and Sabik, and they're both performing the same.

FWIW - Ive been having the same issues the last week or two when connected to AirVPN (also using the LA servers, Sabik most of the time). It ran fine for the last two months since Ive joined, but now its crawled to a halt. Any site I visit or any online operation takes minutes to load a single page now, almost like Im back on dial-up 20 years ago. I was just waiting for like five minutes for a single email to load up in Gmail, and the minute I disconnected from the VPN, everything is now lightning fast as it should be. Nothing has changed on my Mac or my home network at all either, it just started dragging and dragging one day. Maybe there's something going on with the LA area servers? Ive been jumping back and forth between Merope and Sabik, and they're both performing the same.

I'm having the same experience. Merope is assigned to 10.4.0.1. 

Hello. I have some new develiments.

I have tried a speedtest while using Air while on my laptop connected to an LA server.

7035229659.png

I think I configured the opvpn config files or they are messed up in a way.

Any ideas?

Hmm now I wonder if its Eddie thats causing the problem.. Downloaded the Speedtest App from the Apple Store and did some 'research' a little bit ago..

This is Time-Warner/Spectrum, no VPN. This is what my speeds should look like:

WrMxCCB.jpg

Now this is AirVPN/Sabik Server connected with Eddie:

xpjcVWh.jpg

And Sabik again, only this time connected with Tunnelblick OpenVPN client:

LIYA7sd.jpg

Wasn't just Sabik either. When using Eddie I got the same slow results from all 3 Los Angeles servers, 2 of the 3 Fremont, CA servers (phone is connected to the third so didn't want to mess with that), and one in Canada even.

Hmm now I wonder if its Eddie thats causing the problem.. Downloaded the Speedtest App from the Apple Store and did some 'research' a little bit ago..

This is Time-Warner/Spectrum, no VPN. This is what my speeds should look like:

WrMxCCB.jpg

Now this is AirVPN/Sabik Server connected with Eddie:

xpjcVWh.jpg

And Sabik again, only this time connected with Tunnelblick OpenVPN client:

LIYA7sd.jpg

Wasn't just Sabik either. When using Eddie I got the same slow results from all 3 Los Angeles servers, 2 of the 3 Fremont, CA servers (phone is connected to the third so didn't want to mess with that), and one in Canada even.

Did you try using Eddie with the SSH or SSL protocol?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Did you try using Eddie with the SSH or SSL protocol?

Ok just did a little test. Protocol was set to Auto, so I manually checked each one.. Upload speed is the same all around and doesn't seem affected so Im just going to list the download results.

UDP: 10.2Mbps

TCP: 53.9Mbps

SSL: 30Mbps

SSH: 40.7Mbps

So UDP is dying here, but its always worked before and I got the same speeds I would get when not connected to the VPN. Earlier I upgraded to the Eddie beta, hoping maybe OpenVPN 2.4.4 would fix something, but that didn't do it either. The screenshot tests I posted were from 2.13.6, the ones in this reply were with the beta. Now to further confuse you, I did a little test in Tunnelblick. I noticed all of my connections were using the default OpenVPN v2.3.18, so I changed Sabik's to 2.4.4 and reconnected. Now Tunnelblick went to the same low speeds as Eddie, switch it back to 2.3.18, I get full speed.. The beta Eddie is running 2.4.4, the last release 2.13.6 was running 2.4.3, is there something going on with OpenVPN 2.4 now?? As I said everything was working great up until about a week or two ago when everything dragged to a halt. I was going to build my own OpenVPN 2.3.18 from source and see if I could point Eddie to the custom location but I gave up, for whatever reason, its not seeing the OpenSSL headers and crapping out on me. 

Under most reproducible tests (iperf on LAN) OpenVPN 2.4 performs slightly better than 2.3.

If in your case you came to absolute conclusion that 2.3 works better - you can actually tell Eddie to

use a custom OpenVPN path and binary, so you can point it to your existing one and try.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Sabiks kinda crowded right now but it didn't take too big of a hit off my speeds.. Ive got Eddie 2.14 using the OpenVPN 2.3.18 that comes with Tunnelblick and everything is back to normal.

EFsr0W3.jpg

And here's what Tunnelblick did when I tested it earlier, so apparently its not Eddie??
Using default OpenVPN 2.3.18

Slu6lTB.jpg

And switched it to 2.4.4

YPRY0pL.jpg

Im totally stumped.

Here is my speed test from my wired connection while using AirVPN

7029180985.png

Server: Sabik

Location LA, USA

Down speed 280 Mbp/s

Up speed: 11 Mbp/s

Over WiFi WiFi same server and location

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2476857687

I live in LA and also use Time Warner Cable Spectrum. Can you tell me your settings to get such high speeds I barely crack 60 megs down and without airvpn connected I get 500-600 mb down. 

Thank you.