Not connected, Your IP: 54.145.82.104
ms1SDR4ppBabRSjrP18H

Ubuntu Network Lock Deactivated when Eddie Closed

Hi AirVPN forums.

I'm using 2.13.6 of Eddie on Ubuntu 16.04 and noticed today that when I close the client (or as happened overnight it crashed) the IPTables firewall rules were reset, and all traffic was allowed!!

I definitely only want to allow network traffic when AirVPN is connected.

I believe this worked in the past - any suggestions?!

Kind regards,

randomusername 

I'm using 2.13.6 of Eddie on Ubuntu 16.04 and noticed today that when I close the client (or as happened overnight it crashed) the IPTables firewall rules were reset, and all traffic was allowed!!

Hello!

iptables rules restored when you close Eddie: intended and expected.

When Eddie crashes, we can't see how it can modify iptables rules or do anything else. Network Lock is a set of iptables and ip6tables rules, please feel free to clarify.

Kind regards

Hello!

When Eddie crashes, we can't see how it can modify iptables rules or do anything else. Network Lock is a set of iptables and ip6tables rules, please feel free to clarify.

Kind regards

I'm running Mint 18.3 (or 18.2 and 18.1 and so on in the past) in a VM and as happens sometimes the Eddie GUI crashes, but openvpn is still running.  I'll just reboot at this point.

When I rebooted in the past the network lock rules were still running because Eddie wasn't shut down properly.

But, I've noticed lately that network lock rules are not in place upon reboot.

Sounds like I'm seeing the same thing as the OP.

Hello!

That's expected and intentional. Eddie does not set "permanent" iptables rules, they will not survive a system reboot.

Kind regards

Hello!

Kind regards

I'm running Mint 18.3 (or 18.2 and 18.1 and so on in the past) in a VM and as happens sometimes the Eddie GUI crashes, but openvpn is still running.  I'll just reboot at this point.

When I rebooted in the past the network lock rules were still running because Eddie wasn't shut down properly.

Sounds like I'm seeing the same thing as the OP.

Hello!

In case it's of any interest and you don't want to reboot for some reason, you can open the System Monitor go to Processes and search for "Mono" and then "openvpn". Killing both, will enable you to restart Eddie without a hitch. I can't speak to the security of it .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

That's expected and intentional. Eddie does not set "permanent" iptables rules, they will not survive a system reboot.

Kind regards

I would just like to mention that the users can proactively protect themselves by closing down via UFW accordingly:  I set UFW (frontend for IP tables) to permanently deny all outgoing and incoming and disable routed and logging.  Now when I initiate Eddie and use network lock the client handles the new tables temporarily leaving only tun0 access to the internet.  When I reboot the next day I have no internet access UNTIL Eddie because again UFW has everything blocked.  This would handle any circumstance where a non-Eddie connection is attempted.  Works without fail on my family machines.  I don't use Eddie's network lock on my other machines because I want to manually control any and all connections.  Part of why I like this configuration is that "family" cannot connect to the internet without going through Air.  Slick and sure fire!