Not connected, Your IP: 3.83.187.36

Greetings to all. It’s been awhile since I was last here. An extremely annoying and worrisome problem has popped up and I have no idea what’s going on or what to do about it. (Perhaps this is something others are starting to experience in these times of post net neutrality.)

My Air VPN connection keeps dropping out after only a few minutes. It’s happening on my iPad Mini 3 and my iPhone SE. I can reconnect either to a U.S. server or to any other country and the result is the same— a disconnection after just a few minutes. (I just noticed that I’ve not had a VPN interruption in the 10 minutes or so I’ve been logged in here at Air VPN.) The strange thing is that it seems to happen mostly when I’m just web surfing. It’s almost as if my ISP (Charter/Spectrum) detects I’m using a VPN and is disconnecting me.

Suggestions? Solutions? Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

A disturbing update.....

I decided to delete the Open VPN Connect app and start from scratch. I downloaded the app again from the Apple App Store, then came here to set up the config generator. When i attempted to import the first profile an alert popped up on the screen which said:

“OpenVPN” Would Like to Add VPN Configurations

All network activity on this iPhone

may be filtered or monitored when

using VPN.

Allow Don’t Allow

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??!! “FILTERED OR MONITORED”??!! Seriously...... what is this crazy shit about?! What’s the point of using the Open VPN Connect app if the network activity on my devices “may be filtered or monitored when using VPN”?

Obivously I’m not very tech knowledgable as I have admitted before here in the forum. Perhaps I’m missing something that’s readily apparent to others. If so, I sure would love to know what it is.

By the way...... My VPN connection keeps getting disconnected, though it hasn’t happened since I’ve been logged in here at AirVPN in the time it has taken me to post this update.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

iOS explicitly warns users about the potential risk when importing a VPN profile. This is a good thing and up to the user to trust the provider, Apple provides this message as a limited liability disclaimer.

The disconnects have nothing to do with your OpenVPN app - it's either caused by iOS itself sending the app to sleep (to save battery, etc) or your ISP.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Zhang— Thank you for your response. I just finished talking with a customer service rep from Charter Spectrum and she assured me they have not made ANY changes in their internet service. Spectrum doesn’t interfere with the use of a vpn; has not placed any limits or restrictions on bandwidth. Supposedly, everything is exactly the way it was before net neutrality was ended.

I keep my devices fully charged at all times so I’m not sure how or why iOS would send the Open VPN Connect app to sleep to save on the battery.

Update-- I've discovered that my Samsung Galaxy Tab S and iMac Desktop DO NOT get disconnected from AirVPN; just my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone SE. The disconnections seem less frequent compared to a few days ago, but they're still happening.

Another low tech Charter customer here. While connected to Air VPN on my iMac with OS Sierra, the VPN will disconnect in from just a few minutes, up to about two hours. And the computer logs me out and goes to sleep, even when it is set to "never" go to sleep. It is not doing this as far as I can tell, when Air VPN is not connected. Charter has told me that they are not doing anything which could cause this, though of course they could be lying. Does anybody here know of any issues regarding the use of Air VPN/Eddy with a Mac computer?

Do you use vpn on multiple devices at the same time? If yes you can’t use same server on every device or it will disconnect

So it is not Air VPN that is logging me out and putting my iMac to sleep. I ran it without Eddie, and it still did it. Not sure if dj77 was addressing me, but if so, I only use the Air client on one device.

I’m still having the same problem on my 2 Apple devices, but not my iMac or Samsung tablet. I’m beginning to think Zhang may not be accurate on this by saying it’s not OpenVPN app’s fault.

http://speedify.com/blog/how-to/fix-vpn-disconnect-iphone/

Scroll down to read the post by “seanob”.

https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25587

It seems there may be a temporary workaround to getting a stable connection to an AirVPN server by going directly to the OpenVPN app and connecting from there. I’m tryinig it now but it’s much too soon to verify if it works.

I was cautiously optimistic there for a bit... but it doesn’t work for me. Does anyone recommend Private Tunnel VPN or the Speedify app mentioned above?

OpenVPN app has now been updated from version 1.2.5 to 1.2.6. Perhaps this fixes the disconnection issues.

I was having some interesting problems with connection before the OVPN update.  However stable the connection was before the last iOS update, which was pretty rock solid; suffice to say that between the iOS 11 update and before this most recent OpenVPN update things have been quite squirrely.  It seemed to be that every time my phone would go to sleep, the connection would drop and resume upon wake.  Although as of more late it needed MANY manual re-connections.  Now I can't be sure that it is the VPN config of the phone itself in the OVPN settings, although it seems nothing has changed since initially setting up, although that was some time ago.  The other puzzling thing is I never relied on the VPN tab of Apple's doing, except for switching routes, which was almost never necessary.  Instead, I would keep the OpenVPN app available to manually connect, if needed.  Which again, before the iOS update was never really an issue, more so just a quick fix should anything wonky every be on the happs. 

Now, another oddity whilst trying to connect to public WiFi the other day.  I found myself in a large name supermarket, which could have everything to do with it I imagaine.  Every time I would connect, the VPN would interrupt and only say connecting. ( sorry, didn't save the logs, will attempt to duplicate the scenario and post. )  Also attmepting to connect to a VPN proved fruitless once already connected to the network.  Anyone else having that same issue as of late?

The only thing I can think of is to try wiping settings and reissuing the configurations for now. 

After having configured tails to work on my not so new macbook and falling in love with, i think im about ready to just bite the apple tit off, adopt linux, burn belize and move to car.

I have the same problem on Windows 10 64bit, after i updated Eddie. Several disconnections and slow speed on torrents and navigations. I tried to use openvpn with the config file of airvpn and it seems the problems are disappeared, even if i used the common config file in which i can't see the forwarded ports of my airvpn config. 

So i have to guess there are some issues to fix on the last Eddie, hope it will happen soon.