Not connected, Your IP: 44.193.80.126
asafniv

Troubleshoot unusable speeds

Hi.

When I use OpenVPN Connect on my phone (WiFi), I'm only getting around 3Mbits where on my PC i'm getting 20Mbits.

Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Wifi is not a catch all for all types of wireless connections. What TYPE of Wifi do you have? Most of the time, your router limits how fast your connection can be via Wifi because it simply has to. There are only a limited number of channels available, and each has a limited amount of bandwidth that you have to share with anyone who likes close to you. And different parts of the world have different legal limits on just how much, so I cannot even guess how much is available for your router where you live.

In addition, the main limit on most mobile devices has for a long time been the CPU. OpenVPN does some very heavy mathematics that stresses the CPU to its limit. If your phone allows such, install an appliation to allow you to see how active the CPU is and you may see that it simply cannot handle the mathematics faster than the 3Mbit/s rate you mentioned.

I wish I could give you better news. But sadly, mobile devices are still very weak at the mathematics that strong encryption is done with. Most of them lack a mathematics co-processor altogether, so doing floating point mathematics is a hell of a chore for them. But in recent years they have had some that are getting close to the capacity of lower end notebook computers, so in time they will likely have mobile devices that really can do the work as fast as a desktop PC. But that day I fear is not yet today.

I hope this little rant helps illuminate the issues a bit. If you learned even one single thing from it, then I consider it a victory. Good day everyone.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

I have a similar issue to this, only using the AirVPN client on my desktop.  If I'm on the VPN, I get between 2 and 7 Mbps.  If I leave the VPN, I get 15 Mbps.  It's a bit frustrating, to say the least.  

I have noticed the same problem.

I have a 50mbps connection. when using open VPN via android regardless of UDP or TCP port I get 18mbps. I have the same when using VPN on IOS as well. Ussing Eddie via PC I get 48mbps

I have ran a test where I purchased IP Vanish and used that via android and managed to hit 40mbps. I suspect it has something to do with OpenVPN processing ?

Wifi is not a catch all for all types of wireless connections. What TYPE of Wifi do you have? Most of the time, your router limits how fast your connection can be via Wifi because it simply has to. There are only a limited number of channels available, and each has a limited amount of bandwidth that you have to share with anyone who likes close to you. And different parts of the world have different legal limits on just how much, so I cannot even guess how much is available for your router where you live.

In addition, the main limit on most mobile devices has for a long time been the CPU. OpenVPN does some very heavy mathematics that stresses the CPU to its limit. If your phone allows such, install an appliation to allow you to see how active the CPU is and you may see that it simply cannot handle the mathematics faster than the 3Mbit/s rate you mentioned.

I wish I could give you better news. But sadly, mobile devices are still very weak at the mathematics that strong encryption is done with. Most of them lack a mathematics co-processor altogether, so doing floating point mathematics is a hell of a chore for them. But in recent years they have had some that are getting close to the capacity of lower end notebook computers, so in time they will likely have mobile devices that really can do the work as fast as a desktop PC. But that day I fear is not yet today.

I hope this little rant helps illuminate the issues a bit. If you learned even one single thing from it, then I consider it a victory. Good day everyone.

So what do you recommend, people keep talking about PF sense boxes, i'm not entirely sure what this is....

I've been using AirVPN for 9 or 10 months.  Last weekend speeds went in the tank.  I was getting 1 or 2 MBps speeds, now no more than 10KBps.  Completely unusable.  If I'm not tunneled, I get full ISP speed as expected.

I'm not sure where the problem resides, but there have been no config changes from my end.  I'm using OpenVPN with the config generated by AirVPN, connecting to nl.vpn.airdns.org.  It all resides in a Debian VM running in Virtualbox where nothing has changed.  It went from good one day to unusable the next.

How can I troubleshoot and isolate the source of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: had been using the NL servers.  Now using the HK servers and things are back to normal.  I don't understand how the NL servers can suddenly be so slow for me but no one else complains.

I'm having the same problem, very slow speed using openVPN GUI on Windows and openVPN for Android.

Hi! My connection is currently fiber 1000 download, 200 upload.

As of right now I'm getting 4.1 Mbps on Fast.com when using AirVPN and 610Mbps when not using AirVPN.

Win 10 Pro x64 1703 version, latest security patches installed. Eddie 2.13.3. I'm trying to install 2.13.6 to see if anything changes.

Until some time ago I was not seeing this kind of results.

Installing 2.13.6 did not solve anything. Fast.com outside VPN is 760Mbps, inside VPN 2.9Mbps.

Some difference is understandable but something here is clearly not right.

Speedtest outside VPN: 726.16 down, 200.55 up

Speedtest inside VPN: 3.69 down, 154.65 up

With Speedtest, upload speeds are more in line with what I would expect and I've come to expect after years of using AirVPN.

Currently testing on Atik server, previously I was on Miram. Both were at the top of the recommended servers.

Having the same problem. Using a Linux laptop connected via Ethernet. Very disappointing results trying to use OpenVPN w/ AirVPN from the command-line. Eventually I'll find a decent connection trying different config files, but this is still unacceptable to me. I would rather not use Eddie/Mono because I find it too resource heavy!

I run a 250mb fibre optic cable to my house but have to wait approx 1 minute for google to load when connected to airvpn. It's driving me crazy!!!

Same here in the netherlands. 200 MBs without airvpn, max 2MBs with. Not funny!

Hello!

Did you try using a different protocol? Assuming you're using Eddie.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.