Not connected, Your IP: 35.170.66.78
Sign in to follow this  
dopeonarope

ANSWERED Run Eddie at start up Win 10

I have just moved over to windows 10 and whatever i do i cannot seem to get Eddie to run at start up. I have created a new task and also added it to the start folder with no luck.

It worked fine on windows 7 but no joy on windows 10.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I dont think you need any task to make it run, just from Eddie's Preferences - General - make sure you have " Start with windows, connect at startup" Checked

mmm, try this:

hit Windows+R to open the “Run” box, type “shell:startup,” and then press Enter.

copy Eddie's shortcut to this folder. restart.

hope this works

Thanks, I have tried that and even created a new task to run at start up but nothing happens   

I think it may be something to do with UAC? AirVpn has the little shield on it?

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 10 64bit and I'm having a similar problem. When I check the checkbox "Start with Windows" I get the following exception:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.V2Interop.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object UserId, Object password, TaskLogonType LogonType, Object sddl)

at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition, TaskCreation createType, String UserId, String password, TaskLogonType LogonType, String sddl)

at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition)

at Eddie.Platform.Windows.Platform.SetAutoStart(Boolean value)

at Eddie.Forms.Forms.Settings.SaveOptions()

at Eddie.Forms.Forms.Settings.cmdOk_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I've tried all the tricks I found on the internet but nothing worked..

any thoughts or suggestions please?

I would suggest to uninstall Eddie. Do a cleanup if you use a program like CCleaner; consider including the Registry cleanup. Restart the PC. Download a fresh Eddie install file, then reinstall by first selecting Run as Administrator from the context menu on the file.

I'm not sure if this will resolve the issue, but it is something I would do in an attempt.

Thanks for the suggestion. I already did that before but gave it another try again. Uninstalled eddie, ran Ccleaner (fix registry issues 3 times, then clean desk), restart computer, reinstall Eddie with Administrator privileges.. Still no luck....

Online search results point to HRESULT: 0x80070002 as a Windows issue. Some suggestions point to repairing Windows Update or net.framework.

Perhaps a Win 10 reset is in order.

At a point in the past, I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. It didn't seem to work well at all. I personally feel programmers thought most users would upgrade from 8 to 10. In the end I had to completely reinstall Win 10 from USB drive using the Media Creation tool. Win 10 worked well afterward.

Just recently MS Office 2016 suite wouldn't run for any related file on a notebook. In the end, a Win 10 reset is what fixed it. I keep most important files in encrypted cloud storage which helps make it more convenient to reset Win 10 when needed. Online browsers are set to sync and they do that quite well.

I have trouble with getting Eddie to run at startup in Win10.

My problem is that it is very delayed, I have to wait minutes before it runs (and during that time there is no network lock). I see there is Eddie process the whole time in task manager, so even if I try to start it manually it just says that another instance is already running. But if I kill that process and start it manually then it runs immediately.

Online search results point to HRESULT: 0x80070002 as a Windows issue. Some suggestions point to repairing Windows Update or net.framework.

Perhaps a Win 10 reset is in order.

At a point in the past, I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. It didn't seem to work well at all. I personally feel programmers thought most users would upgrade from 8 to 10. In the end I had to completely reinstall Win 10 from USB drive using the Media Creation tool. Win 10 worked well afterward.

Just recently MS Office 2016 suite wouldn't run for any related file on a notebook. In the end, a Win 10 reset is what fixed it. I keep most important files in encrypted cloud storage which helps make it more convenient to reset Win 10 when needed. Online browsers are set to sync and they do that quite well.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather not go that route.. Everything else works fine so to reinstall Windows just because a single app can't start with Windows while all other apps have no such issue at all is drastic.

My subscription to AirVPN will expire in a few months. For now I will try to use OpenVPN instead of Eddie but if this issue is not solved by the time my subscription is up for renewal I will consider switching to a different VPN provider... I like AirVPN but my privacy and security my priority

At last I managed to fix this and now the option "Start with Windows" works fine.

The fix was to delete non-valid AirVPN task entries from the TaskCache. What I did is search in registry and manually delete the keys that contain AirVPN in the task name under the following paths:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

and

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree

After deleting these two entries I was able to set "Start with Windows". I didn't even need to restart the computer

Other users also found entries in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks but I didn't.. If you face the same issue and the registry fix doesn't help try to delete the AirVPN folder or file under this path.

Hope this helps others.

Good luck!

I have trouble with getting Eddie to run at startup in Win10.

My problem is that it is very delayed, I have to wait minutes before it runs (and during that time there is no network lock). I see there is Eddie process the whole time in task manager, so even if I try to start it manually it just says that another instance is already running. But if I kill that process and start it manually then it runs immediately.

I have found a solution to my problem. For some reason process priority for AirVPN.exe was set to below normal. Changing this to normal or something above normal solved my problem.