Not connected, Your IP: 54.87.17.177
in1t3r

Enormnous usage of CPU with eddie client

Your eddie portable version of the client which is written in C# make enormous not needed usage of CPU on my ArchLinux. It continually uses around 50% of the CPU which from some reason make load on my machine goes over the 120 load after few minutes. My machine is two core four threads and it uses two cores fully all the time which is insane. I used simply openvpn with generated certs from the website and had minimal under 1% usage. Why does the eddie have that much use of cpu resources. Also one bad thing why there is no possibility to minimize your client. That is a bit irritating.

Btw I have disabled checking for servers first I have selected checking for servers every minute then I thought maybe badly written code have problem with checking of the servers. Its not that. I dont write C# I write C and C++ I can write C# I just don't want to. And I expected at least a decent client. Btw I'm using your portable version I might try with AUR version. version is 2.13.6 which is the latest version.

Would anyone like to help rewrite this software in either QT C++ or some functional paradigm language because client that behave like this is insanity. Simply mono framework and C# are buggy on Linux and there is always an issue with something if you guys do have a target audience in Linux users too it would be nicer to write it in some Linux frameworks either QT or gtk. I mean I might switch again to using my archlinux openvpn client and use ovpn files but that removes one nice functionality which is easy switch of servers. If I wanted to use only single server I would use some of my machines and setup vpn server on them.

Btw 2 months without release and any commit on github is a bit scary for professional project. If you guys use some private repo for development you should just have faster release cycles if not then just involve more people in project and have the gitrepository at least a bit more active.

I too find Mono to be a bit misplaced in the world of GNU/Linux. Eddie 3 will have a GTK-based GUI, though.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Now I have different issue with it it look like the previous issue was connected to some earlier versions of the libs. Dunno after I did update the issue went away with consumption of CPU but now eddie die after a few seconds of connection the vpn connection stays as it is connected as root but still the gui dies. I use i3wm so issue might be wm specific. Anyway that is one of the reasons I hate mono.

Some nice but more rare distributions like Arch do not get the testing cycle as the main big ones (Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora etc),

so bugs and memory leaks (both in Eddie and underlying Mono) which are not reproducible in popular distributions can occur.

i3wm is another factor that can affect the behavior of Mono, as it was probably never tested like it was with Gnome/KDE.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.