Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.147.53

I’ve been using AirVPN for a long time, I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon either. Just a quick question really, why doesn’t AirVPN software (Eddie) have an update notification? Each time a newer version comes out I have to stumble upon it from either the forums or by checking the latest version on the download page. Is there a reason? Is it already implemented but I’m just not seeing it? If it’s not yet been implemented, are there any plans to implement it. Just a little notification that informs you of a newer version.

Can't tell you a reason but did you know that on Linux this would be superfluous because regular update runs usually update all the software that is installed? It makes one's life easier, I tell you!

But yes, it would bug me as well. On Windows I would always rely on the software's update checks. If they're not implemented, it happened that software would not get updates for half a year or more. And I frequently read around here that people update from Eddie versions which have been unavailable for many months or even a year..

Sent via Tapatalk. Means, I don't have a computer available now.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hello!

As Ts says, it's really easy on GNU/Linux, as you can add a PPA and then have Eddie update automatically whenever you normally run system updates. Thus using system updates to update you about Eddie by proxy.

There hasn't been any word on implementing such a feature, to my knowledge and so no it's not implemented.

I don't think it has been implemented because:

1. It's not a priority, given the many other things which need to be sorted out. So I think it's more of a "nice to have".
  2. I imagine Air may have doubts about implementing something which may become superfluous once Eddie really becomes a multi-provider wrapper.
  3. I also think it may conflict with Airs philosophy, slightly, of not adding unnecessary things, which perhaps do things behind the users back; such as check for updates. But I don't know.

But to help you, you could add the News and Announcements subforum to your RSS feed for example. Or you could switch to Linux or even just make the download page your browser startpage.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks for the information to both replies. I understand that it's more of a want it but don't need it feature. It would be great if it was implemented, but I've since installed Linux and I've installed AirVPN (after reading your replies).

I have two questions I'm hoping you could answer though.

1. Once I installed AirVPN and logged in, I was given a message letting me know that AirVPN can't protect against leaks due to IPv6 on Linux with the Network Lock enabled. How do I protect myself from this? Should I be worried? Do I need to disable IPv6 in Linux, how would one do that? I'm using a fresh install of Ubuntu.
  2. Now that AirVPN is installed do I need to do anything to get it to show up alongside the system updates or will it do that automatically?

Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it, this community is really awesome.

Once I installed AirVPN and logged in, I was given a message letting me know that AirVPN can't protect against leaks due to IPv6 on Linux with the Network Lock enabled. How do I protect myself from this? Should I be worried? Do I need to disable IPv6 in Linux, how would one do that? I'm using a fresh install of Ubuntu.

As a user who doesn't use Eddie, I disabled IPv6 by changing it in the network manager: Network Settings > Ethernet > IPv6 > Ignore. There are also ways to do it on the command line, not going to bother you with this.

Now that AirVPN is installed do I need to do anything to get it to show up alongside the system updates or will it do that automatically?

Follow the steps to add the Eddie package repository on the download page. Use the "stable" link.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I use https://www.changedetection.com/ to monitor a web page for change. When there is a change, the service sends an email notification. It's useful when tracking for new program versions.

There are some configuration options. The service is free. They send email about web page changes, nothing more.

Attached is an example of setup for airvpn windows download page.