Not connected, Your IP: 54.82.44.149
tioker

Eddie freeze after a inactivity time - Linux Mint 18.2

Hye,

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french (nobody is perfect).

As it's explained in a similar topic, AirVPN has a freeze state in this kind of usage:

- my VPN is opened

- my computer has NO sleeping delay

- after a long non usage time, the connection VPN is right but AirVPN is freezed. I can't close it, kill it (kill -9 after a ps aux | grep airvpn command)

- it is necessary to restar the computer, launch AirVPN, open a VPN channel and close it immediatly to return in a stable state of my computer and my internet link

Is any body have the same problem ?

Previously I have destroyed my Linux-Mint installation; it was necessary to re-install it from crash. In my last test I leaved AirVPN in run state to verify if it was a software issue. It's seem to.

PS: this kind of problem seems to be equivalent in OSX operatinf system. See this topic and this one.

Best regards.

Hello!

What a great post. I chuckled at the first sentence. Being French fortunately isn't a disadvantage.

Which version of Eddie are you using and have you tried upgrading to the latest experimental releases? Are you using Network Lock?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hi tioker,

Hopefully @LZ1 will be able to help but in the mean time, you're not alone with this issue, although https://airvpn.org/topic/22654-eddie-2124-keeps-crashing-on-mint-181/ was a few months ago when Mint 18.1 was the latest. I haven't been using the eddie gui for some time as I've switched to using .opvn files with network manager once I followed https://airvpn.org/topic/5586-prevent-leaks-with-linux-firestarter-also-stop-traffic-when-vpn-drops/page-3 to use ufw as a network lock.

Anyway, when  eddie (airvpn's gui) disappears, I open up 'System Monitor' and look for 'mono' and 'openvpn' and kill both which allows you to fresh eddie restart.  If  you can't kill it mono because it's zombified, the following example from my notes worked for me, saving the need to reboot. This assumes you installed the standard .deb package.

Note: The pid numbers (24442 and 24383) are examples only, and the commands are in Bold.

#when eddie freezes and mono is a zombie
#find mono's pid

pidof mono

#find mono's parent pid ie) if mono pid = 24442

ps o ppid 24442

#kill the parent, ie) parent pid = 24383 (which is sudo)

sudo kill -9 24383

Hi tioker,

Hopefully @LZ1 will be able to help but in the mean time, you're not alone with this issue, although https://airvpn.org/topic/22654-eddie-2124-keeps-crashing-on-mint-181/ was a few months ago when Mint 18.1 was the latest. I haven't been using the eddie gui for some time as I've switched to using .opvn files with network manager once I followed https://airvpn.org/topic/5586-prevent-leaks-with-linux-firestarter-also-stop-traffic-when-vpn-drops/page-3 to use ufw as a network lock.

Anyway, when  eddie (airvpn's gui) disappears, I open up 'System Monitor' and look for 'mono' and 'openvpn' and kill both which allows you to fresh eddie restart.  If  you can't kill it mono because it's zombified, the following example from my notes worked for me, saving the need to reboot. This assumes you installed the standard .deb package.

Note: The pid numbers (24442 and 24383) are examples only, and the commands are in Bold.

#when eddie freezes and mono is a zombie

#find mono's pid

pidof mono

#find mono's parent pid ie) if mono pid = 24442

ps o ppid 24442

#kill the parent, ie) parent pid = 24383 (which is sudo)

sudo kill -9 24383

greerd,

I started a thread on what appears to be mono-related issues earlier last month and am still looking for a solution. The thread is here: https://airvpn.org/topic/23911-eddie-client-memory-leak-on-linux/

Looks like it's the same issue that you are referring to in your reply, yea?

In my case, the system becomes so bogged down that I am unable to even bring up a console (directly or via SSH) to kill the mono process. I often have to yank the power entirely to force a reset...

Sys2:

I'm having the same issue as tioker, it's been discussed in some other threads. Your issue seems different but may be related. In my case Eddie freezes, but no other processes are affected.

Tioker: I have been successful killing AirVPN, then killing openvpn. Then I have to do the thing where I reopen Eddie, reconnect, disconnect and exit to reset the network settings. But killing openvpn saves me a reboot.

Problem doesn't exist on XFCE?

Most of the time, I'm using the system below as my deskop:

Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Still having the same old problems, if I leave Eddie open for 2-24 hours, the window disappears, OpenVPN is still on and functional, and I have to kill a bunch of processes and restart Eddie. Constantly hoping a mono or Eddie update will fix this annoying behavior.

So... I decided to start a tightnc server so I could remotely manage my desktop using my laptop downstairs. I set up tightvnc to create a new desktop using XFCE since its simpler graphics should work better over the network. Also, messing with desktop settings in XFCE and Cinnamon tend not to interfere with each other.

Anyway, I have had Eddie running continuously on XFCE on tightvnc on LM 18.3 for 84 hours without a problem. This seems promising to me. 
If I'm on the upstairs desktop and want to adjust Eddie settings, I can login to vnc through localhost:1 and fix things pretty easily.
Another thing to try might be making a special user that defaults to XFCE desktop. I installed XFCE through the repositories, and I think it was simple.
So you could log out your regular user, log in your eddie user, clicking the XFCE option, start up Eddie, and switch users again.

This is all a pretty lame workaround but it's working for me. Hopefully the Mono/Eddie/Cinnamon thing will get figured out in the near future.