Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.174.36

I have been using airvpn for over a year, infact i have two more years paid up till i have to renew. Since getting airvpn i have not had any trouble with copyright notices until today.

I have airvpn set to network lock so nothing works unless its running.

I got a notice for a tv show being downloaded with my correct ip! airvpn was running with network lock, all websites show the vpn address as mine. nothing is leaking out that i know of so, how is this possible???

Furthermore, how can i make sure it never happens again?

Just a suggestion, but Qbittorent and set Network Interface to the TAP Adapter in advanced settings. If you have not done so already i would try that.

Just a suggestion, but Qbittorent and set Network Interface to the TAP Adapter in advanced settings. If you have not done so already i would try that.

Thanks ill do that just to be safe.

just the one computer that actually does any downloading.

i have yet to find a guide on how to make airvpn just work with qbittorrent but leave all other activity outside of it. There was a guide in the forums but it is so outdated its useless.

i play some online games and being restricted to the vpn makes them run worse so that is why i dont run airvpn on every machine all the time. if i could set it up that only torrents run through the vpn and nothing else, i would have them run on every machine all the time then.

i have yet to find a guide on how to make airvpn just work with qbittorrent but leave all other activity outside of it. There was a guide in the forums but it is so outdated its useless.

i play some online games and being restricted to the vpn makes them run worse so that is why i dont run airvpn on every machine all the time. if i could set it up that only torrents run through the vpn and nothing else, i would have them run on every machine all the time then.

I know it sounds impractical, but it's easier and safer to use a Virtual Machine if your wanting to split VPN between torrents and the rest of your activity.

Split tunneling solutions that screw with routing and such seem to me like they'd make you less secure and more vulnerable to leaks.

If you install virtualbox or similar software and install a Linux VM and install Eddie and qbittorent on said VM you'd probably be safer than attempting a split tunnel.

EDIT: Essentially doing this would allow you to use your main PC without VPN while a VM running on the machine connects to the VPN in it's own environment, so you could play your online games without VPN and be downloading torrents with the VPN at the same time.

I know it sounds impractical, but it's easier and safer to use a Virtual Machine if your wanting to split VPN between torrents and the rest of your activity.

Split tunneling solutions that screw with routing and such seem to me like they'd make you less secure and more vulnerable to leaks.

If you install virtualbox or similar software and install a Linux VM and install Eddie and qbittorent on said VM you'd probably be safer than attempting a split tunnel.

EDIT: Essentially doing this would allow you to use your main PC without VPN while a VM running on the machine connects to the VPN in it's own environment, so you could play your online games without VPN and be downloading torrents with the VPN at the same time.

Ok i get you, i can be running windows and have my VM running linux with the vpn and keep them seperated.

i normally only need to download off that one machine as its the entertainment server. it always has airvpn running, always on network lock so i still dont know how this happened.

does anyone know?

*im just trying to understand so i can prevent it from happening. my dedicated server, always on vpn, always locked, not used for anything other than that (hell it only has medusa, qbittorrent, airvpn, and microsoft security essentials installed) somehow leaked my real ip address that got me "caught". whole point of having a vpn is for that NOT to happen...........

Which OS are you using? An anti-virus program could be the reason. (Third party firewall)

Windows 7 x64, i use windows firewall.

Hello!

- Which version of Eddie are you running?

- Have you checked the guides to setting up torrent clients, found in the New User guide in my signature?

- Did you download the test torrent from ipleak.net to see which IP address shows?

- Did you disable IPv6 and was it an IPv6 address that was shown to be your address, in the notice?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

- Which version of Eddie are you running?

- Have you checked the guides to setting up torrent clients, found in the New User guide in my signature?

- Did you download the test torrent from ipleak.net to see which IP address shows?

- Did you disable IPv6 and was it an IPv6 address that was shown to be your address, in the notice?

Eddie v2.12.4

This guide

https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/

is over 4 years old and while somewhat useful a lot of it is not.

ipleak did say there was WebRTC leak which i fixed.

IPv6 is disabled by default i believe but i have always had it disabled and no it was not IPv6 shown in the notice, it was my IPv4.

Network lock is always on.

That is what is making this so frustrating. Being on VPN is suppose to stop people from finding out my IPv4 and yet, this one time, they did. I personally decided to screw getting this specific show since its rarely watched but that is just a temporary solution. Without knowing how this happened then it cant be prevented which means either AirVPN is not doing what its intended to or there is a new way to detect your IP in which case AirVPN isnt doing what its suppose to.

Well you're quite a few versions out of date then.

That's not the guide I meant. There's other guides on actually setting up your torrent clients properly. Which I've linked to in the New User Guide, in the section "AirVPN Guides & Community Threads Of Interest".

So you didn't check the torrent actually. You only checked WebRTC and IPv6. I asked if you actually downloaded the test torrent from ipleak.net or not, which specifically shows you if your IP address is hidden during torrenting or not.

The vast majority of users get by fine and so you won't find much traction for the idea that it's AirVPNs fault; even though I empathise with your frustration . To suggest it is, is a serious accusation, because it undermines the trust in Air and trust is the fundamental currency of any VPN trying to be a quality VPN. It's also not exactly "fair play" to suggest it may be AirVPNs fault when and if you're not using the latest iteration of their software. Also, one of the first posters mentioned some changes you could make in qBittorrent, which you apparently hadn't made. Which to me suggests you therefore didn't set up your client properly and/or could've done more to prevent a leak. Thus, please do check out the relevant guides on setting up torrent clients.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

[...]

This is contradictory. If you had a "WebRTC leak" then either Network Lock was NOT on, or the firewall rules had been modified after Network Lock was turned on.

When/if you manage to reproduce the issue make sure to print and store all the firewall rules. That's the first step to start troubleshooting.

Kind regards

[...]

This is contradictory. If you had a "WebRTC leak" then either Network Lock was NOT on, or the firewall rules had been modified after Network Lock was turned on.

When/if you manage to reproduce the issue make sure to print and store all the firewall rules. That's the first step to start troubleshooting.

Kind regards

I havent messed with firewall rules but you are saying if network lock isnt on then you are leaking your ip address which isnt good.

Well you're quite a few versions out of date then.

That's not the guide I meant. There's other guides on actually setting up your torrent clients properly. Which I've linked to in the New User Guide, in the section "AirVPN Guides & Community Threads Of Interest".

So you didn't check the torrent actually. You only checked WebRTC and IPv6. I asked if you actually downloaded the test torrent from ipleak.net or not, which specifically shows you if your IP address is hidden during torrenting or not.

The vast majority of users get by fine and so you won't find much traction for the idea that it's AirVPNs fault; even though I empathise with your frustration . To suggest it is, is a serious accusation, because it undermines the trust in Air and trust is the fundamental currency of any VPN trying to be a quality VPN. It's also not exactly "fair play" to suggest it may be AirVPNs fault when and if you're not using the latest iteration of their software. Also, one of the first posters mentioned some changes you could make in qBittorrent, which you apparently hadn't made. Which to me suggests you therefore didn't set up your client properly and/or could've done more to prevent a leak. Thus, please do check out the relevant guides on setting up torrent clients.

Thats how i found that guide again through your links.

i did download the torrent from ipleak, its how i knew webrtc was leaking,,,,,I did show the proper the ipv4 address.

they might get by "fine" because they dont know or it just hasnt happened....

yes, i didnt have qbittorrent using only the tunnel but if airvpn was already on with network lock, would it have mattered? using either adapter it still needs to go through the vpn to connect to the internet. Having it only use the tunnel sounds more like if airvpn wasnt on and network lock is off, then qbittorrent wont work at all which still brings me back to how this happened.

I havent messed with firewall rules but you are saying if network lock isnt on then you are leaking your ip address which isnt good.

Good or bad this is how things work. If you bind a program to an interface different than the tun/tap interface you can't expect in general that the traffic of this program is tunneled or blocked, unless the previous default gateway is completely removed obviously. This is not an optimal solution for a couple of good reasons and Network Lock should be preferred.

That's the basic of how WebRTC works, and that's why with Network Lock you don't only prevent WebRTC leak, but any leak caused by any "wrong" or "unintended" binding. For more clarifications please see https://www.clodo.it/blog/an-alternative-approach-to-so-called-webrtc-leaks/

Therefore, once again and hopefully for the last time: if you experienced a "WebRTC" leak either Network Lock was not on, or the firewall rules were modified after Network Lock had been enabled.

When/if you manage to reproduce the issue make sure to print and store all the firewall rules. That's the first step to start troubleshooting. All the other speculations at this time are just time wasting chattering.

Kind regards