Not connected, Your IP: 54.242.22.247
sys2

Eddie Client Memory Leak on Linux?

Hello,

Seeking assistance on an issue I am seeing with the Eddie Client on Linux (Raspbian). Over the course of 3-4 days, "available memory" (as checked by console command "free -m") gradually drops until system lockup occurs and a full hard reset is required. As available memory reaches <50MB, terminating the Eddie client results in a near immediate release of the vast majority of the used memory, and system responsiveness returns to normal.

Running the command:

ps aux | awk '{print $6/1024 " MB\t\t" $11}' | sort -n

reveals that process "mono" is the culprit -- memory usage grows and grows over the course of a few days until it runs out.

Then by running the command:

ps -ef|grep mono

this results in the output:

root       740   739 13 Oct05 ?        03:03:51 mono /usr/lib/AirVPN/AirVPN.exe   --path=/root/.airvpn

Which leads me to believe that the gradual memory consumption is tied to the AirVPN.exe software.

Once again, terminating this process does immediately release the memory.

Please advise! Thanks.

Hello!

What Eddie version are you running? Can you also test Eddie 2.13.6, if you haven't already done so, and report at your convenience?

Kind regards

Thanks for replying. I am using 2.12.4 -- I will test Eddie 2.13.6 over the next couple of weeks and report back if the issue remains. Thanks!

I have the same problem. Running Debian unstable and Eddie 2.13.6.

The memory leak seems to stem from a process called mono that executes the AirVPN client. I hope there's a fix for it soon.

Just wanted to check back in and say that the update to 2.13.6 did not resolve the issue. Memory is slowly consumed over a period of ~48-72 hours until the system locks up and requires a hard reset. On a couple of occasions, the Eddie client has crashed as available memory approached zero, which freed up the memory and left the computer idle. I am unsure if the network lock survived the client crash.

Ditto this issue for the stable client on Archlinux running Xorg. (Wayland is preferred, but the app won't run under that environment.)  

Monitoring memory usage via HTop shows mono is the primary issue. (And like the reports above, 48-72 hours is max before an 8gig system is brought to its knees.

Shutting the client down and restarting it before this will free up RAM and bring the app to about a 100meg usage, but it then begins to immediately leak again.

I'm also having this problem on Ubuntu 16.04 and Eddie 2.13.6.

I have updated mono to latest (5.4.0) but still memory leaks.

Any update on when the new version will be released?

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Hi, I also have this issue using lubuntu. 4GB of memory, the OS has to kill ovpn every week or so. Ideally I'd like to leave it running permanently. Is the fix in sight yet?

Hello!

We can confirm that a new version of Eddie which addresses the issue is going to be released in the near future during December (before the 25th).

Kind regards

Hello!

We can confirm that a new version of Eddie which addresses the issue is going to be released in the near future during December (before the 25th).

Kind regards

We are 28 december, no news ?

Hello!

Kind regards

New Eddie version release has been postponed to the first half of January, we're sorry.

Kind regards

Hello!

Kind regards

New Eddie version release has been postponed to the first half of January, we're sorry.

Kind regards

Is there any news regarding Eddie 3.x? I'm eager to see the mono dependency dropped and to be able to minimize it to system tray (linux)

can anyone confirm if the memory leak is fixed in eddie 2.14.0 ?

Been running for almost 2 days now and memory has steadliy increased to 1 gb for the eddie process.

Is this normal?

will continue to monitor and see if it continues to grow.

running portable mono for 40h and memory has increased to 1GB resident.

Fully updated ubuntu 16.04, portable mono 2.14.0 and mono 5.8 

Problem seem to persist.

Can someone from AirVPN please provide an update on the status of this issue ?

I'm running:

eddie-ui_2.13.6_linux_x64_debian.deb  (tried running as GUI,  and then as CL, with same memory leak in both instances after circa 48 hours).

Linux Mint 18.3

Please advise:

RoyG

I've been running eddie 2.14 from the PPA on Mint 18.3 cinnamon for over 5 days, system monitor shows mono is using 137 MiB. It's been stable so far with none of the mono freezes that I was getting with previous versions, and the tray icon is working without issue, very nice.

I've been running eddie 2.14 from the PPA on Mint 18.3 cinnamon for over 5 days, system monitor shows mono is using 137 MiB. It's been stable so far with none of the mono freezes that I was getting with previous versions, and the tray icon is working without issue, very nice.

Which mono version are you using?

Which mono version are you using?

$ apt policy mono-runtime

mono-runtime:

Installed: 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4

Candidate: 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4

Version table:

*** 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4 500

500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status