Not connected, Your IP: 44.223.31.148

Qubes offers great protection of your privacy. First, since everything is compartmentalized. a compromised browser/PDF reader etc will not give the attacker access to the rest of your system and sensitive files.

Secondly, the networking system and ProxyVM's make it very easy to route your(or part of your) traffic through VPN/Tor, and if the VM is compromised, it cannot obtain your real IP address since all its traffic is routed through the ProxyVM.

Mullvad has already donated to Qubes OS.

They have a decentralized bitcoin fund (https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/07/13/qubes-distributed-fund/) and are also on Open Collective(https://opencollective.com/qubes-os) which offers great transparency and pays the individual developers directly.

Hi Casper31. Thanks for the heads up. I'm a very much a novice here and am getting my head around QUBES and WHONIX. [One problem seems to be, I think I read, that QUBES has problems with some graphics cards.]

A problem, I think, is that ToR appears to be compromised to some extent, according to news reports on the Snowden docs and also multiple court filings. So, if you want anonymity, privacy and security, you need a VPN + Tor or VPN + Qubes/Whonix.

I have been reading up on the various tech collectives helping folks in repressive countries avoid being detected. For them, it can be a matter of life or death - and so these discussions. There are a number of people advocating a VPN cascade /multihop and ToR - another approach I've seen. But I do not have the technical expertise to judge.

Given the way the West is itself engaging in mass surveillance, we may all need such technology soon. Even keeping a hand written diary is now illegal in some countries, if you work for or worked for the government there. Hello 1984.