Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.243.184
FloatingVPN

Crappy Discord performance, and gaming lag spikes

Right now I am running AirVPN using OpenVPN on my Pfsense box. General streaming and web browsing works great. When I game or use Discord however, there is a noticeable lag. It makes it really difficult to play or chat effectively. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with my connection? I have also noticed that when using my DDWRT router in AP mode Wifi speeds are essentially quartered. Through LAN on the same device I can get an upwards of 200mbps while on VPN, and through Wifi I can only top 60mbps.

Kind of scratching my head on this one. I have followed the provided guide on these forums to get AirVPN up and running on my Pfsense box, but these two issues have me stumped.

Could anyone with Pfsense chime in here? I know I didn't provide much detail, but... that's because I am still a networking noob.

Would it be possible to have VPN encompass my whole house, then when I game automatically route traffic through my regular ISP connection? I would hate to constantly fiddle with the settings when ever I decide to game. Seems like there has to be an easier way.

Yes, you can do policy routing in pfsense.  But, remember this isn't a pfsense, or discord, or ddwrt forum.

Lots of pfsense talk in the pfsense 2.3 guide thread in this forum, including how to do policy routing.

I ask these questions on this forum because my lag issues have only started since using VPN as my main connection. Pre-VPN everything was fine and dandy.

I ask these questions on this forum because my lag issues have only started since using VPN as my main connection. Pre-VPN everything was fine and dandy.

That's the nature of using a VPN. It makes perfect sense to want to route gaming traffic over clear internet.  I've tried to point you to where you can get help for that.

Yep, and I will be checking that out. I was just pointing out why I posed this question in the first place. My only concern is I am worried about getting doxxed in any form. So I thought whole home VPN was the way to go.

Yep, and I will be checking that out. I was just pointing out why I posed this question in the first place. My only concern is I am worried about getting doxxed in any form. So I thought whole home VPN was the way to go.

I guess you have to begin to create two lives.  One life that's public, used for gaming, etc.  Another that you keep secret behind VPN.  Don't let people in the one life know about the other life you lead.