Not connected, Your IP: 54.167.52.238
Sweden78

VPN services banned in Russia from the 1st of November

From what I understand, he is mandating ISPs to block VPN services. If you get around it, all the power to you. Just know it's likely to be another cat and mouse game. A smart mouse will always win.

My response to Russia and all the countries that are ramping up their fight on our privacy is this - when there's a will, there's a way so shove that where the sun don't shine... History is on our side.

As to all those that are impacted by these draconian laws: focus on the last mile - hint: privacy (cryptic, I know.. won't disclose circumvention techniques publicly)

Today Putin has signed the law to ban VPN and Proxy services in Russia.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fstrana.life%2Fnews%2Fputin_zapretil_anonimajzery_i_servisy_vpn%2F2017-07-30-9205

One more country with a "Great Firewall"?

Will you use your VPN service anyway when visiting Russia?

The block is for providers, not users. Providers who do not comply with the blocklist provided by Roskomnadzor can be blocked. Not a big technical hurdle to overcome.

Well, I'm from Russia...

2017-06-08 - the law was introduced

2017-06-15 - I read about it and decided to gather some info about VPN services (never interested before)

2017-06-23 - the law was preliminary adopted

2017-06-29 - I paid to test some VPN services

2017-07-29 - I made my choice (obviously it's AirVPN) and bought 1 year subscription

2017-07-30 - the law was signed

Good advertising))) Hey AirVPN staff, have you paid to Putin?

2017-06-29 - I paid to test some VPN services

2017-07-29 - I made my choice (obviously it's AirVPN) and bought 1 year subscription

Let me ask what criteria were used as the basis for your choice. Thanks.

Average connection speed. It varied from time to time and sometimes it was even the worst, but in average it was the best.

Average connection speed. It varied from time to time and sometimes it was even the worst, but in average it was the best.

​Thank you very much for your response.

And which VPN services were rejected?

I found this interesting article from the VPN provider PIA about this topic:

“The Russia VPN ban doesn’t forbid personal or business use of VPNs at all”

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2017/07/russia-vpn-ban-doesnt-forbid-personal-business-use-vpns/

Great article. Bypassing the censorship will depend on the method they'll use to implement censorship. We have strict censorship regarding adult content, gambling, terrorism, cp etc. here in Korea, but if the website simply offers encrypted HTTPS connection, it is easily bypassed. Not sure which method they use (probably MITM), but regardless of what method what the Russian ISPs will use, always better to have tor downloaded and vpn subscription before the censorship happens. Better safe than sorry.