Not connected, Your IP: 52.90.181.205

I am noticing that my P2P/torrent speeds are much slower when connected to AirVPN. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps to fix the problem, with no success:

- Setup port forwarding on the AirVPN website and configured Tixati torrent program according to the instructions on the AirVPN FAQ
- Tried using a different torrent program (uTorrent)- also configured with the correct port forwarding settings, with no resulting speed difference from Tixati
- Tried all of these steps on my laptop using both a wireless and wired connection to my ISP router; again, no resulting speed difference

I tested this using a single torrent which maxed out at 4,000 kb/s when not connected through AirVPN; when connected, it bounced up and down between 100 and 500. Is there something I'm not doing right? I'm currently using an Arris wireless router provided by my ISP, and an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Windows 10.

Any help is appreciated. I'm fairly new to this, and would like to make the most use of it as I can. Thanks!

Hello!

By AirVPN FAQ, I don't know if you mean the new users guide or not. So just in case it's not, you can refer to the guide in my signature about torrenting, if you wish . Portforwarding isn't the only thing that can be done. There's other settings, as well as other protocols and servers to try.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hi there, LZ1. Thank you for your response to my post.

I looked through the links in your signature, and tried out several things I read about in those links; sadly, none seem to have helped.

This is what I've read/done so far:

- "Mini-guides On How To Improve Torrent Speeds" - talks mostly about hardware, which I don't believe is the issue. I made the same changes shown in that post, but nothing changed. 
- "Mini-guide On Torrenting With Tixati Client" - I set Tixati to only use the TAP adapter; this did not result in faster DL speeds.
- "How To Port-Forward & Use A Torrent Client" - I have tried creating different ports, some with just TCP, others with just UDP, and some with both. Again, no change in DL speeds.
- "Guide To Setting Up VPN For Torrenting On Windows" - This took awhile, but I tried this entire process, and ended with the same results.

I have also tried connecting to various different servers using the various forwarded ports. I got pretty much the same torrent speeds regardless of which server I connected to.

My browser speed is just as fast as it's ever been; it's just the torrents.

What am I missing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Another test, which LZ might consider for the "How To" guide, is that the bittorrent client listening port which is forwarded by AirVPN, is actually accessible from the internet.

With qBittorrent running, I use http://canyouseeme.org/

to check that firewalls and antivirus "Internet Security" are not "in the road".

There may be a better utility around for this, which could provide more/better feedback re TCP and UDP and some check of initial server contact to confirm that the expected service is running and talking.

Hi, serenacat.

I performed that check as you suggested. I said that they can see my service, and that my ISP is not blocking that port.

Maybe any VPN use is detected and throttled. By your ISP, or campus, or some other common facility managers ?

Happens to some misfortunates.

You should try the Eddie Preferences/Protocols/SSL:443 for an extra outer cryptoshield that looks like HTTPS to snoopers.

No, test your setup without VPN, then set the Eddie protocol SSL:443 and restart Eddie and do tests.

Is similar to a transport company putting all the various packets in shipping containers labeled for each destination city. The container has to be unsealed to inspect the content packets and their delivery addresses.

When I am changing network protocol stack configs and processes, I tend to restart the entire operating system between test runs, just in case some weird state somewhere in the code complexity would cause confusing behaviour.

Rather than use perhaps 1 seeder to test AirVPN/etc torrent  performance, I use the qB Search facility to find "ubuntu". This gives many .torrents with hundreds/thousands of seeders, many well connected to whatever Air server you choose. So floods your client/connection with max data rate. And "legal" to talk about with support staff etc.

I made the suggested change to SSL:443, and my speeds are now flawless! Thanks so much to both of you for your help. It's much appreciated!