Not connected, Your IP: 54.234.45.33
Sign in to follow this  
vdidwania

DNSMasq setup on ASUS Merlin with OpenVPN client

Hello, have a ASUS RT-AC68P with the latest Merlin firmware with an unRAID server running behind it with Nextcloud. Trying to setup DNSMasq on the router and followed the guide here. I am using AirVPN for the VPN service. Have the following in my jffs partition with port forwarding already setup on AirVPN and IP tables setup. 192.168.1.75 being my unRAID server.

Code:
address=/airdns.org/192.168.1.75

This works fine so when on LAN and type in the DDNS Nextcloud server address ***.airdns.org:PORT it redirects to the internal server. Externally it works fine also.

However, this breaks the WAN access and keeps me from accessing any websites, etc. Actually the WiFi even stops working - i had to hardwire to get it all reset.

In the WAN -> WAN DNS Setting - i have it set to Yes, automatic

AiProtection -> Enable DNS-based Filtering is OFF

LAN -> DNS Server 1 -> 192.168.1.1

VPN -> OpenVPN Clients -> Accept DNS Configuration to "Exclusive" and Redirect Internet traffic to "Policy Rules"

Any ideas?

**SOLVED**

Need to setup DNSMasq on the router side and reverse proxy on the server side. Works fine that way in case other had similar issues. I'm sure there are better ways to do this but this is what worked for me.