Not connected, Your IP: 44.212.26.248
Sign in to follow this  
methylene

Accessing a server from inside a Virtualbox VM

Hi, I don't really know where to ask this, so I'll give a try.

I'm currently using eddie 2.12.4 on W10 with virtualbox.  I'm trying to set up an ubuntu server inside virtualbox and install a LAMP stack inside of the VM.  I've been trying to access the server inside the VM from the host, but I have no idea on how to do that.  Using standard NAT adapter on VBox I get internet access from inside the VM, but there's no way to access the server inside the VM.  I would ideally have internet access form inside the VM and be able to locally access the VM without exposing it to the internet.

Any suggestion? I'm happy to give more details on my setup.

Cheers!

I am running Eddie and OpenVPN on W10. I run VirtualBox with guest Linux Mint distro, downstream of Ubuntu. I have an Air assigned forwarded port. W10 firewall advanced options has an added rule to allow incoming connections to VirtualBoxManager on this port. The Linux Mint Firewall which is ufw based has an added rule to allow incoming connections on this port. My qBittorrent listens for connections on this port, similar to any IP server with a published port. It works, for this "standard" server setup.

"would ideally have internet access form inside the VM and be able to locally access the VM without exposing it to the internet."

For this, I think your W10 firewall rules could be set to not allow access VirtualBoxManager from Public networks, only Private.

Hopefully, this gives some guidance on where to focus. You may have to learn a bit about firewalls and MS and Linux implementations. I am reluctant to give more details without testing it myself, but I don't want to mess with my normal operations.

Thanks for the answer.  I haven't tinkered with the firewall, but I'll have a look.  I guess it's the same as with qbittorrent, without open ports it's impossible to reach the program.  Reading a bit more, I think I can secure the VM's server, it's just for learning.

If I manage to make it work I will post an update.

Cheers!