Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.1.33
rosslev

Linux CLI, openvpn, virgin media, connecting but no internet access

Hi,

Im hoping somebody might be able to help with this problem.

I am using Ubuntu linux server edition and openvpn, I am able to connect but once the connection is established I cannot get out to the internet. If I try to ping google.com I get 'ping: unknown host google.com'

I have tried switching from UDP to TCP, I have also tried TCP using ports 443, 53, 41185 and 80 and get the same results

To give some extra back story I have just moved house, it was all working fine until I moved and I am with the same ISP (Virgin media) the only difference is that they gave me an upgraded model of router.

I cant try it with the old router in my new place as this is cable internet and thus the ISP account is MAC address specific.

Can anyone out there help me to diagnose the ussue?

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi. I have the exact same setup here, also with Virgin as my ISP. My router is in router mode and I've configured openVPN to run as a daemon, but the same config works when called from the CLI.

In my case I also have bind9 configured as a DNS forwarder for my LAN pointing at Googles DNS servers. If you're not doing that, I think you need to call /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf as your 'up' and 'down' scripts to allow AirVPN to update your system to use AirVPN's DNS servers.

Doesn't explain why moving house has stopped it working, I'm afraid.

Have you checked the firewall within the router? IIRC they ship on "high" . Try putting it at the lowest setting, check if Air works, then work your way back up and see if it breaks again.