Not connected, Your IP: 44.203.58.132
icedearth1776

ANSWERED My isp is 300+ mbps but on AirVPN it's 10 mbps

Greetings.

I have an intel processor so I have all the hardware crypto settings set for Intel / rd-rand.  Is this where the action is at or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks.

Thanks for the tip!

So I used Eddie on my laptop and I get close to 200 mbps connecting to a server in the NL.  This bypasses pfsense. I'm only getting 10-20 mpbs in pfsense via openvpn when connected to the same server.  

I'm not sure what to look at to try to fix this.

Greetings.

I have an intel processor so I have all the hardware crypto settings set for Intel / rd-rand.  Is this where the action is at or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks.

so, actually, an AES-NI CPU is used by openvpn/openssl automatically.  In fact, many people find better performance completely disabling hardware crypto support in the advanced settings of pfsense.  Sounds crazy, but I tested it on my AMD CPU and performance is increased.

again, try selecting "none" in system>advanced>miscellaneous>cryptographic hardware.  Also select "none" for hardware crypto in the openvpn client setup.  Then reboot.

However, your speeds are so diminished as compared to Eddie that I suspect something else needs to be fixed first.

Look there, you'll probably get more information.

What is the CPU of your pfsense box?

It's an Intel Core i7 4785T.  Yes, that was the awesome guide I followed.

When I get home I'll try it without the hardware crypto and see what happens.  Does Eddie use hardware crypto by default?

Greetings.

Thanks.

so, actually, an AES-NI CPU is used by openvpn/openssl automatically.  In fact, many people find better performance completely disabling hardware crypto support in the advanced settings of pfsense.  Sounds crazy, but I tested it on my AMD CPU and performance is increased.

again, try selecting "none" in system>advanced>miscellaneous>cryptographic hardware.  Also select "none" for hardware crypto in the openvpn client setup.  Then reboot.

However, your speeds are so diminished as compared to Eddie that I suspect something else needs to be fixed first.

I will try turning hardware crypto off tonight but yes, I wonder what could possibly need fixing... I'll have a look at the switch tonight.. maybe something is up with auto-negotiation or who knows what else...

Update: I disabled crypto in both places and now my downloads are hovering around 50-60.  It's an improvement! But I am under the impression I would take about a 10-50% hit, so I was expecting speeds around 150 at least.

Hmm.. I'm at a loss, not sure what to look at.

EDIT: I completely ignored the recommendation to try to find local servers.  I just tried this and yes, there is even a larger improvement.  But I'm in a habit of not choosing local servers, and with Eddie I'm getting 110, with pfsense/openvpn, I'm getting 60.

Update: I disabled crypto in both places and now my downloads are hovering around 50-60.  It's an improvement! But I am under the impression I would take about a 10-50% hit, so I was expecting speeds around 150 at least.

EDIT: I completely ignored the recommendation to try to find local servers.  I just tried this and yes, there is even a larger improvement.  But I'm in a habit of not choosing local servers, and with Eddie I'm getting 110, with pfsense/openvpn, I'm getting 60.

Are pfsense and eddie using the exact same port and protocol?  Have you tried messing with mssfix settings, receive and send buffer in pfsense?

Update: I disabled crypto in both places and now my downloads are hovering around 50-60. It's an improvement! But I am under the impression I would take about a 10-50% hit, so I was expecting speeds around 150 at least.

EDIT: I completely ignored the recommendation to try to find local servers. I just tried this and yes, there is even a larger improvement. But I'm in a habit of not choosing local servers, and with Eddie I'm getting 110, with pfsense/openvpn, I'm getting 60.

Are pfsense and eddie using the exact same port and protocol? Have you tried messing with mssfix settings, receive and send buffer in pfsense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait where are these settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those are settings you'd write in the custom options of the openvpn client

Oh right.  I remember pasting it there, but rather nonchalantly.... So if I find anything that differs from Eddie, I suppose changing it accordingly would be in good order.

Ok, not sure what happened here but I added a few other settings such as 

tun-mtu 1500;
keepalive 5 15;

and then speeds went back down to 10mbps.  I reverted to what I had before with simpy mssfix 1450, and now I'm unable to replicate the 150 mbps speeds as it's now stuck again in the 10-20 mpbs range.