Not connected, Your IP: 44.213.80.203
raoulduke

ANSWERED Windows 10 creator update Airvpn DNS slow ?

Hello,

I'm not sure so here I am to ask

I just upgraded to windows 10 creator build (1703) and noticed that when AirVpn is connected (latest eddie) websites take a few seconds to resolve hostnames.
I'm using fiber connection,and without AirVPN website are showing quite instantly.

I also read that another vpn provider had the same issue but resolved it with an update of their software.

I just wanted to say I got the same issue, very slow hostname resolving since the windows 10 Creator Update.

hi,

try leaving the dns section (--> network adapter) empty.

this worked for me.

greets

Thank you but I'm sorry I don't get it. Where ? In AirVpn ?

Are you talking about the setting called "Obtain DNS server address automatically" or something else? Selecting that option did not fix the problem for me.

Besides, the Eddie software sets that DNS address each time one connects to AirVPN, so I assume one would need to reset it each time a connection is made.

Hello,

I'm not sure so here I am to ask

I just upgraded to windows 10 creator build (1703) and noticed that when AirVpn is connected (latest eddie) websites take a few seconds to resolve hostnames.

I'm using fiber connection,and without AirVPN website are showing quite instantly.

I also read that another vpn provider had the same issue but resolved it with an update of their software.

Im using Vivaldi and though that it was the issue since its last update, but you are right.  I too installed the creators update yesterday and since then when clicking a link it takes about two to five seconds before a response.  

@kbps

ticket is good idea. seems to be a common problem.

@U&^TUB&NI

here is my 'workaround':

I hope air get on top of this asap, it's slow to the point where the VPN is unusable. There will be a lot more people piping up about this very soon as the update is rolled out.

Posted ... (edited)

to get it all a bit together. here's the link where i started the topic:

https://airvpn.org/topic/22395-windows-10-build-15063-dns-problem/

i get this error (in german):

dhcp-client - error 1002

Die IP-Adress-Lease 10.4.3.xxx für die Netzwerkkarte mit der Netzwerkadresse 0x00FF191BC152 wurde vom DHCP-Server 10.4.xxx.254 verweigert (der DHCP-Server hat eine DHCPNACK-Meldung gesendet).

this means that 10.4.3.xxx was refused by dhcp server 10.4.xxx.254.

greets

Edited ... by kiwi

I literally just updated to Creators Update and immediately noticed this same issue, went here to see if anyone else had noticed and sure enough. Will try kiwi's temp fix if nothing is done, but surely this will be fixed soon. Extremely annoying!

Reported it more than a week ago and a temporary fix that is using dnscrypt or something similar to avoid using airvpn dns. I must say i was completely ingored and when i gave them the solution i found they just closed my ticket.

Just download,install and setup dnscrypt. 

https://simplednscrypt.org/

Reported it more than a week ago and a temporary fix that is using dnscrypt or something similar to avoid using airvpn dns. I must say i was completely ingored and when i gave them the solution i found they just closed my ticket.

It can be frustrating.  Just keep in mind

1) they're very busy with thousands of customers, keeping their network maintained, trying to find new server locations, keeping software on all kinds of machines working, etc.

2) they saw you had a solution and figured you were happy

3) I've seen tickets closed with no reply but the fix actually happened on their end.  don't take it personally.

4) Most importantly, we are from all over the world with different cultures.  I've found that Air culture (Italian) is quite different from American, etc. and I just have to learn to let things go.

It can be frustrating.  Just keep in mind

1) they're very busy with thousands of customers, keeping their network maintained, trying to find new server locations, keeping software on all kinds of machines working, etc.

2) they saw you had a solution and figured you were happy

3) I've seen tickets closed with no reply but the fix actually happened on their end.  don't take it personally.

4) Most importantly, we are from all over the world with different cultures.  I've found that Air culture (Italian) is quite different from American, etc. and I just have to learn to let things go.

Not personal at all. Just letting them know if they want to go check my logs and information i gave them if they can't reproduce. They might help i don't know. 

I am sure they are busy and all that is the only sure thing. 

... so there did all my speed go. The workaround by not enterinng a DNS address didn't solved it for me. Browsing the internet is awfully slow whereas down-/upload speeds are fast. I tried different browsers with no addons/ addons disabled/ only some disabled and the only way to have a speedy experience is to go without using Air at all at the moment.

Work round didn't work for me either. As you commented, UL/DL speeds are good, DNS is soooo slooooow it completely spoils it.

Wish Staff would at least say they know about it and are working on a solution.

Asus RT-AC88U [Hardware:A2] Mode: Wireless Router

Firmware by @RMerlin

i'm sorry, that it doesn't work for you.

i'm fine with no dns entry. when entering 10.4.x.x or my router adress (192.168.x.x) i have to wait up to 10 sec or more for a website to open.

by the way: with no pre-entered dns adress in the network adapter eddie doesn't enter the 10.4..x.x either, when started - but i'm in the tunnel ....

ps: even mac users seem to have dns problems right now ...

https://airvpn.org/topic/22679-checking-dns-dont-match-os-x/

I submitted this as a support ticket and was told they "couldn't reproduce the problem". So those of us who continue using AirVPN may be on our own.

Just as an update, I have also tried using a non-VPN DNS resolver address (Google's) entered explicitly in the IPv4 config for the TAP device. This does not solve the problem of DNS resolution taking ten seconds each.

Any other workarounds till they get this fixed?

I was concerned when I read this Thread, but on the one PC that upgraded to the Creator's Update, I am having no speed problems with Air. using Eddie latest, portable.

Been havin' the same problem since I updated, but I managed to solve it by reinstalling Eddie:

* Uninstall Eddie through Apps & Features (formerly Programs & Features)

* Uninstall TAP-Windows through Apps & Features

* Open Windows Powershell (Admin) or a Command Prompt (Admin) and type: 'netsh winsock reset' en hit enter

* Open Windows Firewall and click 'Restore defaults'

* Restart the computer

* Download the latest version of Eddie

* Install it and your good to go

Eddie is btw the name of the AirVPN client .