Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.169.110
loopy123

New to AIrVPN, my speeds are ~ 4Mbps in VPN, but > 100Mbps outside

Down: 4.288 Mbit/s Out, 5.025 Mbit/s In (117%), 20MB - Up: 4.203 Mbit/s Out, 3.474 Mbit/s In (82%), 10MB - Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:00:20 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/10MB - Laps: 3, Time: 244.67 secs

This is much slower than when off my tomato router based VPN connection to AirVPN - is there a problem here?

Tried several VPN servers but everything is < 10Mbps:

6206603610.png 6206595977.png

6206479540.png

What ports and protocols have you tried?  If I understand correctly you're running the openvpn client on a router.  What router is it?

Using port 443, UDP on an ASUS RT-N66U running Tomato (by shibby  Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-132 K26 USB AIO-64K).

This should be the fastest protocol and it is unclear why a different port would be better.

Using port 443, UDP on an ASUS RT-N66U running Tomato (by shibby  Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-132 K26 USB AIO-64K).

This should be the fastest protocol and it is unclear why a different port would be better.

Some ports and protocols are faster because the ISP and transit/peers allow it to be.

But, your problem is the router running VPN.  That's a very weak CPU for trying to run openvpn.  That speeds you're getting are the most you'll get so long as that router is your openvpn client.

OK,  thanks for the help.  I tried using the pc openvpn client to test speeds and got only slightly better results over a couple of servers, including: 

6206761181.png

OK,  thanks for the help.  I tried using the pc openvpn client to test speeds and got only slightly better results over a couple of servers, including: 

6206761181.png

if on the PC use the Eddie (AirVPN) software and try different ports and protocols.

Using Eddie - what a huge difference:

6207121099.png6207128543.png

Using the .ovpn file in the openvpn pc client:

6207134821.png

and the bad news for me - when running the same param from the .ovpn config file on openvpn router (ASUS RT-N66U) client:

6207147027.png

Thanks for the help.  Not sure why it was so bad at my post #8 above when running the PC openvpn client, maybe missing the rcvbuf and sendbuf params.

It's your router. It doesn't have the required processing power to do 100mbps. Nothing you can do than either use eddie or get a router that can handle such speeds. They are not cheap so if you have an old computer setting that up to distribute the vpn connection is probably a better idea. 

Thanks for guiding me to my router hardware limitation on bandwidth.  

I am thinking that offloading the vpn to a virtual machine and route my traffic to it such as here:

https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202721486-Using-Linux-Virtual-Machine-instead-of-a-router-for-VPN

Haven't tried it so i can't comment but i would still try and find an older pc none uses for really really cheap and use that. A vm will use resources on your pc and restarting the specific pc means internet will go down for all.