Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.190.167
serenacat

Net Neutrality Is Trump’s Next Target

Interesting article in NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/technology/net-neutrality.html

ISPs can be just like the cable companies of yesteryear greatness, with extra features like encryption for privacy, and server listening ports, for registered premium/business subscribers.

VPNs are sure to be attacked on various fronts.

Why are there no Air / other VPN exit nodes in Mexico ?

Because Mexico is a corrupt state where police and judges can be bribed, and with the internet connectivity of a 3d world country that still peers via U.S.

I don't need to provide examples, many of them can be Googled.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Yes, I was just adding another possible side effect not mentioned in the NYT article, which raises various issues and political/social/economic conflicts of interest. Could be another drama/farce/realityshow mixup.

Went to Ciudad Juarez in 99 when tourist/traveling for 3m around the USA, bus from El Paso hotel for sightseeing and shopping. Most of the day at a summer heat market with desperate peons with the same cheap junk in all the stalls begging to sell anything. Hung out in the best shade near the musicians with the security dudes, admiring their guns and smoking ganja and drinking fruit cocktails. They all probably died young. Not a reputable address. Pretty useless border check in those days for the bus back to USA.

Personally, i would like to see servers that are in similar conditions to Europe in terms of privacy without having to jump across the Atlantic ocean. So countries in Central to South America would be ideal- that is theoretically.

The main arguments that are probably worthy of mention here are that

1: There are no countries in the western hemisphere that offer the same level of privacy as comparable to Europe, in the northern hemisphere or the southern. The only countries with the infrastructure needed are the hosts and complicit partners of the government dragnet operated by the US.

2. Any country even coming close to matching the conditions matching the first argument (If any) are likely too far away and would result in an even higher ping time than if we simply connected overseas.

Sometimes i am quite jealous that European users can connect safely to other countries that have strong privacy laws without going above 140+ ms ping.