Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.19.251
itguy2017

Slow speeds, every node...

Guys, I am getting between 20-40Mbps speeds, no higher, regardless of settings.

My primary connection is a 800/50 fiber connection. Without the VPN on I can peg 700-800Mbps solid without any issue. Once the VPN is on this drops to 20-40..  I've tried all of the protocol options and I am using OpenVPN to connect and have gone through all of the settings at this point.

Primary Router is a Fortigate 200D (about $4,000), behind this is a purpose built Untangle Box (Quad Core, 16GB, etc) in transparent mode. Both the Untangle and Fortigate are set to 'bypass' on sessions with the protocols used by the VPN and I have verified passthrough is active. Desktops use Emsisoft Anti-Malware with no localized firewall. Emsisoft is set to exclude files/folders/processes associated with AirVPN.

I coming to the conclusion AirVPN may be throttled to around 40Mbps, is this inaccurate? What's the resolution? I would like an uncapped VPN at least capable of 100Mbps+ per connection.

Hi,

I highly recommend you install the AirVPN app Eddie, it'll give you multiple options to determine whether the problem comes from your desktop or your ISP.

In Eddie:

AirVPN > Preferences > Advanced: change TCP/UDP send/receive buffer size to 256 or 512kb.

If your speed remains the same

AirVPN > Preferences > Protocols: untick Automatic and select UDP53, TCP443, SSH22 or SSL443.

NOTE: each time you change a setting, you need to disconnect then reconnect.

AirVPN doesn't claim to be fast - just secure. Read the T&Cs and you will see the minimum bandwidth they guarantee.

For me, pings have gone from 200ms to 600ms on Kitalpha and Speedtest (app not browser version) now reports 1Mbps.

Even AirVPN's super cool micro-routing feature is not cool enough to tolerate that sort of performance.

Guys, I am getting between 20-40Mbps speeds, no higher, regardless of settings.

My primary connection is a 800/50 fiber connection. Without the VPN on I can peg 700-800Mbps solid without any issue. Once the VPN is on this drops to 20-40..  I've tried all of the protocol options and I am using OpenVPN to connect and have gone through all of the settings at this point.

Primary Router is a Fortigate 200D (about $4,000), behind this is a purpose built Untangle Box (Quad Core, 16GB, etc) in transparent mode. Both the Untangle and Fortigate are set to 'bypass' on sessions with the protocols used by the VPN and I have verified passthrough is active. Desktops use Emsisoft Anti-Malware with no localized firewall. Emsisoft is set to exclude files/folders/processes associated with AirVPN.

I coming to the conclusion AirVPN may be throttled to around 40Mbps, is this inaccurate? What's the resolution? I would like an uncapped VPN at least capable of 100Mbps+ per connection.

just keep an eye on the network status top users https://airvpn.org/topusers/ and you'll see that Air users aren't throttled to 40mbps.  somebody his hitting 374mbit/s as I type this!

What type of processor does your box have? What have you tried to use as far as servers and done as far as testing latency to different servers? As of this posting there are a number of people with active connections transferring upwards over over 100 to 200 Mbit/sec... in various locals. Have you noticed a drop in speed or gain on different protocols? How are you doing your speedtests vs on a VPN With?

​-can your hardware handle the encryptions at high speed?

​-is all your software up to date?

​Encryptions ask a lot from your processor and openVPN (the software that eddie uses) can only use 1 core so older and slow processors will get problems with high speed encryptions.

​An not up to date OS or client will also give speed and/or unstablke connections.

​I'm no expert but i learned quite a lot in the 1.5 years that i used this vpn service, this forum is a great source of information if you take the time to look into it.

​After research and some trial and error my speeds are great using this VPN, my speeds with speedtest are:

​Ping 7 ms Download 153.22 Mbps Upload 15.51 Mbps without a VPN

​Ping 12 ms Download 144.57 Mbps Upload 14.60 Mbps with airVPN

​There are no caps, just take a look at what speed other users achieve like others have said in this thread already.

Ryzen 1700 w/16GB Mushkin DD4, Samsung Pro SSD. eVGA 1070GTX FTW edition.

I think it should handle the performance just fine. I have 12 Desktop/Laptops in the home and 2 servers. The slowest laptop is a i5 Quad 2.6, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD...

Speed tests the same on multiple devices - slow...  Even on my Galaxy s7 connected to WiFi (AC), pulls the IDENTICAL speed as the desktops.

​Encryptions ask a lot from your processor and openVPN (the software that eddie uses) can only use 1 core so older and slow processors will get problems with high speed encryptions.

​An not up to date OS or client will also give speed and/or unstablke connections.

​I'm no expert but i learned quite a lot in the 1.5 years that i used this vpn service, this forum is a great source of information if you take the time to look into it.

​After research and some trial and error my speeds are great using this VPN, my speeds with speedtest are:

​There are no caps, just take a look at what speed other users achieve like others have said in this thread already.

I think it should handle the performance just fine. I have 12 Desktop/Laptops in the home and 2 servers. The slowest laptop is a i5 Quad 2.6, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD...

Speed tests the same on multiple devices - slow...  Even on my Galaxy s7 connected to WiFi (AC), pulls the IDENTICAL speed as the desktops.

have you tried Eddie and setting it to the various SSH and SSL options?  sometimes those bypass ISP throttling. 

I will do this when I get home. It's highly possible my ISP are being douches.

However, at work we have a nice healthy pipe, and I am still getting 10-40Mbps on my phone.

have you tried Eddie and setting it to the various SSH and SSL options?  sometimes those bypass ISP throttling. 

However, at work we have a nice healthy pipe, and I am still getting 30-40Mbps on my phone.

makes sense that your phone isn't that fast as usually those processors can't crunch openvpn super fast.

However, at work we have a nice healthy pipe, and I am still getting 30-40Mbps on my phone.

makes sense that you're phone isn't that fast as usually those processors can't crunch openvpn super fast.

s7 Edge is a very powerful phone and I run it in Nugat performance mode. My s8 should be here in a couple of weeks and that will unquestionably be the most powerful phone in the world. However I don't see any major CPU spikes when the VPN is running and traffic is passing.

Sadly, right now it's down to 10-15Mbps.. If I turn on F-Secure Freedome, I can pull 72Mbps.

It's working much better right now with Eddie.

120Mbps-160Mbps, that's good enough but only a fraction of my 800Mbps fiber but I can live with that. LOL

Also, this speed was only possible by piping the vpn through DNS (53). It's quite likely most ISP's only monitor 53 at the very basic level, and I highly doubt they do quantum injection, packet interception or MiTM through port 53 as that would require a lot of work.. I even bypass 53 layer 7 scanning on my network to keep DNS snappy and network loads lower.

As of right now, AirVPN is the fastest, most consistent VPN I have tested. This surpasses the previous VPN speed record in my testing which was held by Freedome.

120Mbps-160Mbps, that's good enough but only a fraction of my 800Mbps fiber but I can live with that. LOL

Also, this speed was only possible by piping the vpn through DNS (53). It's quite likely most ISP's only monitor 53 at the very basic level, and I highly doubt they do quantum injection, packet interception or MiTM through port 53 as that would require a lot of work.. I even bypass 53 layer 7 scanning on my network to keep DNS snappy and network loads lower.

As of right now, AirVPN is the fastest, most consistent VPN I have tested. This surpasses the previous VPN speed record in my testing which was held by Freedome.

Yes, UDP 53 is fastest for a good number of people I bet.  So the SSL and SSH options were tried and not fast?  Frankly, they aren't fast for me either.  But, for some, they are the only way to get good speed.

Yes, UDP 53 is fastest for a good number of people I bet.  So the SSL and SSH options were tried and not fast?  Frankly, they aren't fast for me either.  But, for some, they are the only way to get good speed.

I've tried almost every protocol and and 512kb buffer. I am caping out at ~20 Mbps download / upload. I have ~300 Mbps download...that's a huge drop off. Funny enough, my phone over wifi is getting 50-80 Mbps download. How could a phone outdo a high end laptop? Phone is using just plain old OpenVPN app. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I have a strong consumer router that was pushing ~360 Mbps download without VPN.

Btw. I am using the speed test on this website. Is it a good test to use?

I've tried almost every protocol and and 512kb buffer. I am caping out at ~20 Mbps download / upload. I have ~300 Mbps download...that's a huge drop off. Funny enough, my phone over wifi is getting 50-80 Mbps download. How could a phone outdo a high end laptop? Phone is using just plain old OpenVPN app. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I have a strong consumer router that was pushing ~360 Mbps download without VPN.

Don't use the speed test on this site.   

Use fast.com if you want to see actual throughput.

Alternatively, I like beta.speedtest.net and/or speedtest.wowway.com 

I am going to tweak more settings over the weekend, but 120-160Mbps is fine for now.

I am going to tweak more settings over the weekend, but 120-160Mbps is fine for now.

fast.com. What a great minimalist speed test website. But it doesn't capture upload. I just tracked at 60 Mbps while I am downloading stuff...that's a good sign. Have to retest when I am not downloading. I wonder why the speedtest on this website is not accurate if it's directly connected to their servers.

Btw, is a router like this (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC88U/) capable of being a client without slowing down the speed drastically? Unfortunately using a router as a client you lose the functionality Eddie provides like connection block when VPN drops off.

fast.com. What a great minimalist speed test website. But it doesn't capture upload. I just tracked at 60 Mbps while I am downloading stuff...that's a good sign. Have to retest when I am not downloading. I wonder why the speedtest on this website is not accurate if it's directly connected to their servers.

Btw, is a router like this (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC88U/) capable of being a client without slowing down the speed drastically? Unfortunately using a router as a client you lose the functionality Eddie provides like connection block when VPN drops off.

I think you can count on about 50mbit/s with that router.

I do like Asus routers with Merlin firmware.  He's built in an option that WILL block things should the VPN drop. 

Wow. This Merlin firmware looks awesome. Adds a lot of flexibility and it looks like asus firmware still. So I take that it's worth installing this on my router?

Wow. This Merlin firmware looks awesome. Adds a lot of flexibility and it looks like asus firmware still. So I take that it's worth installing this on my router?

definitely.  I use it. 

Router VPN isn't an option for me, I would give up way too much security.

Anyway the slow speeds are back and have reached intolerable levels. Right now I am pulling a whopping 4Mbps on one note, and 25Mbps on another. Same exact configuration as last night, nothing has changed. Changing protocols doesn't help. AirVPN is really too unpredictable for me at this point. Highly discouraging.

Anyway the slow speeds are back and have reached intolerable levels. Right now I am pulling a whopping 4Mbps on one note, and 25Mbps on another. Same exact configuration as last night, nothing has changed. Changing protocols doesn't help. AirVPN is really too unpredictable for me at this point. Highly discouraging.

you sound like an intelligent person so I'm surprised you'd say something like this.  surely you're knowledgeable enough about the internet of things to know that AirVPN can't control anything outside their server.  is the server you're connected to overloaded?  can you think of any reason whatsoever that they'd slow down and speed up their server at random just to annoy customers?

also, many people run pfsense routers and you already have something similar.  I don't think you'd convince any of us we're sacrificing security.

My 200ms pings are back on Kitalpha - awesome!

But I'm also get 200kbps downloads - not so cool. Upload is 10Mbps.

The security sacrifice is unless you have a local NGFW generated MiTM certificate then your desktop/mobile VPN is going to bypass your NGFW. That's what I mean.. In my case, the VPN would punch through my Untangle L7 in transparent, and punch through my Fortigate 200D as the primary NGFW. Totally defeating the purchase of having $6,000 worth of security hardware on my network, and for what? So my ISP can't monitor me? LOL That was my point here.. Sure, I could run a VPN server off of my primary NGFW/UTM, but that wouldn't bypass the ISP snooping. 

I wouldn't for a minute put an ASUS on my gateway and since Chris Buechler left PfSense their future is in a bit of doubt. Also PfSense is a packet mangling fool unless you toss a rack mounted server build onto it. I'd much rather run my Fortinet with ASIC's and not have to worry about that.

Hi,

I highly recommend you install the AirVPN app Eddie, it'll give you multiple options to determine whether the problem comes from your desktop or your ISP.

In Eddie:

AirVPN > Preferences > Advanced: change TCP/UDP send/receive buffer size to 256 or 512kb.

If your speed remains the same

AirVPN > Preferences > Protocols: untick Automatic and select UDP53, TCP443, SSH22 or SSL443.

NOTE: each time you change a setting, you need to disconnect then reconnect.

Thanks for that m8, changing to TCP443 made a big difference, worked like a charm.