Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.88.17
qbban

Connection stops working every few seconds / minutes

This only just started happening yesterday. Running latest Eddie client with Network lock on Fedora 25, whenever I am connected to AirVPN, the connection stops working after a few seconds to minutes. Downloading something or trying to load bigger websites makes the connection drop faster. Eddie's client doesn't show anything in the log when this happens and is showing as still connected to the server, but bandwith drops to 0 bytes download and upload. When I then connect to another AirVPN server, it will work again for a few seconds / minutes.

How can I solve this?

I'm having a similar issue. It seems to occur on my laptop using the CLI openvpn or NetworkManager's OpenVPN tool. It also seems to happen on my iPhone using the OpenVPN client. This is using both Americas and Europe configs.

I've actually tried it on my other devices, and it's the same. It's also not an Eddie-related issue, as even on my phone, the AirVPN connection keeps failing every few minutes. Is this issue known to AirVPN? Is there a way for me to fix it or is something going on with your servers? Like I said, I've never had any problems with this VPN prior to this.

Since we don't know your setup, your logs might help.

Logs of what? The connection works perfectly fine and then after a few minutes / a few MB downloaded, no more download packets go through until I reconnect to another AirVPN server, and then it's the same thing all over again. There is no error message or anything unusual in the Eddie client, and the problem has occured about 2 days ago out of the blue on all of my devices.

Sure. But did you tell us what OS you are using? Which Eddie version it is and which software/library versions it has? Which ports and protocols you tried to use? All this is packaged in the Holy Lines of the Log Output. Maybe even more you don't see but others might.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I am experiencing this as well. None of my devices have changed their connection in any way. For the ones using Eddie or going through Air VPN DNS, it's dropping connection within twenty minutes or less. Flushing DNS, releasing/renewing IPV4, restart DNS service does not solve it. 

I have to reboot each machine manually.

I also tried different ports/protocol/DNS servers from Air VPN and the result is the same.

If I disable Eddie, and set IPV4 DNS to automatic or manual (Google for example), it works fine indefinitely.

Hope this gets fixed soon - do not like running the network without VPN.

Old Setup:

pfSense 2.1.5 on :

Dell PowerEdge R860

2x Xeon E5620 @2.6ghz
16GB DDR3 EEC

Old ISP :

BT Infinity Clearnet - 79.5mbps BRAS ; 74.3mbps DS  / 20.0mbps US
AirVPN -------------- - --------------------  ; 69.0mpbs DS /  19.50mbps US

Would like to add that apparently, Torrents keep downloading, even when the rest of the internet stops working. Could it be that the AirVPN DNS server isn't working right at the moment? Any comment from the staff would be much appreciated. The connection problems are happening accross all my systems (Linux, Windows, Android), and other people in this thread are reporting the same.

Could it be that there's a problem with AirVPN's DNS server(s)? I noticed that torrents keep downloading, even when browsing is impossible. Has been ongoing for about 3 days now across all my systems (Android, Linux with Eddie, Windows with Eddie), with other people in this thread reporting the same.

Any comment from staff? If there are problems right now, would like to now it as it would spare me the time to try and fix something that might not be broken on my end.

I remember to have read similar reports in the past, one of them nailed it down to his own system... but I can't find this one thread anymore

And stop posting those "I have the same issue" posts. They don't help at all, they're bloating up the thread.

And stop posting those "I have the same issue" posts. They don't help at all, they're bloating up the thread.

It couldn't be that they actually have the same issue and are simply reporting that it's not one individual all by his lonesome? Numbers = strength, it's a simple yet effective tactic.

I tried reinstalling the TAP V9 adapter as well. It worked for a while longer than kicked the bucket again.

Old Setup:

pfSense 2.1.5 on :

Dell PowerEdge R860

2x Xeon E5620 @2.6ghz
16GB DDR3 EEC

Old ISP :

I could be way off base here (definitely not unknown) I started experiencing some disconnects a few days ago, yesterday I decided to increase my list of one instance to a few more and then tried swapping between the instances (switching from Netherlands to Netherlands servers and from Netherlands to UK servers and none of them worked. I use Ubuntu 16.04 but I've re-enabled Network Manager and successfully managed to make the VPN activate on system start, but as mentioned it worked initially on system start but as soon as I tried to switch my DNS would die, only switching the VPN off or a full reboot would enable the VPN again, and then only that instance.

I just followed the instructions in the thread below and it seems to have resolved the issue, also over a reboot, basically it's just this:-

https://askubuntu.com/questions/838948/16-10-fail-to-resolve-dns/897074#897074

"DNS behavior during OpenVPN connection improved immediately when I followed a suggestion on ubuntuforums:

1. Open /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in an editor with root rights.
  2. Delete (or comment out with a dash #) the line that reads dns=dnsmasq
  3. Restart NetworkManager via sudo service NetworkManager restart "

It couldn't be that they actually have the same issue and are simply reporting that it's not one individual all by his lonesome? Numbers = strength, it's a simple yet effective tactic.

This is not some democratic society you're in. The real strength in support forums are solutions.

Let me give you one of the best examples there is for bloating up threads. Last year a certificate ran out of its lifetime and everyone using Eddie couldn't connect. Although the error was really on AirVPN's side, by the time Air nailed it down and fixed it three threads have been opened with a total of 183 replies in just a bit over 24 hours. They have been merged later on.

To see why I write what I write, try to find a post in the linked thread with a workaround. Then read further and see what people posted next.

I could be way off base here (definitely not unknown) I started experiencing some disconnects a few days ago, yesterday I decided to increase my list of one instance to a few more and then tried swapping between the instances (switching from Netherlands to Netherlands servers and from Netherlands to UK servers and none of them worked. I use Ubuntu 16.04 but I've re-enabled Network Manager and successfully managed to make the VPN activate on system start, but as mentioned it worked initially on system start but as soon as I tried to switch my DNS would die, only switching the VPN off or a full reboot would enable the VPN again, and then only that instance.

I just followed the instructions in the thread below and it seems to have resolved the issue, also over a reboot, basically it's just this:-

https://askubuntu.com/questions/838948/16-10-fail-to-resolve-dns/897074#897074

"DNS behavior during OpenVPN connection improved immediately when I followed a suggestion on ubuntuforums:

1. Open /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in an editor with root rights.
  2. Delete (or comment out with a dash #) the line that reads dns=dnsmasq
  3. Restart NetworkManager via sudo service NetworkManager restart "

I've noticed behavior that sometimes it will be fine for quite a while ..such as running some server work or doing anything other than web browsing. Then without fail after a few minutes of browsing sites, the DNS fails.

I appreciate your input for Linux environment, but for normal Eddie/Windows/DDWRT/PFsense users, it's not always as simple as amending the dnsmasq.

Additionally, most days now, the VPN won't even connect to any servers unless I uninstall the TAP driver(s), reboot and start again where upon it installs the TAP driver for me when trying to connect.

Old Setup:

pfSense 2.1.5 on :

Dell PowerEdge R860

2x Xeon E5620 @2.6ghz
16GB DDR3 EEC

Old ISP :

and the reason we all post the "I have the same issue" is so people can see how bad the issue is and how widely its affecting people, obviously some people have telepathic abilities dont need this information, how lucky for them, but us mere mortals find it very helpful

This is illogical, please tell me the quintessence of you reading a "I have the same issue" post. What are your next steps towards the solution?

The biggest mistake, as I already told you and others, is to think, numbers equals strength. Even a few weeks after my post support forums are still no democratic societies. Create "I had the same issue, here's the solution" posts instead, because it does not only eases minds but eases work - for the rest of us.

This is illogical, please tell me the quintessence of you reading a "I have the same issue" post. What are your next steps towards the solution?

The biggest mistake, as I already told you and others, is to think, numbers equals strength. Even a few weeks after my post support forums are still no democratic societies. Create "I had the same issue, here's the solution" posts instead, because it does not only eases minds but eases work - for the rest of us.

Several reasons.

One is the sense of community and familiarity. Sure it's frustrating to see "aah, a new reply, maybe this is the solution!" and read that yet another user suffers from the same issue. But better then having no new replies and just be forgotten in the long run.

With several users having the same issue makes it go from "hey, what an idiot, he didn't/did check that box with ambigious information" to "hey, this is an issue that tricks several people, maybe we should look into it".

As for my "I got this too"-post: It happens if I open Chrome or qBittorrent (with active torrents) most of the time. It takes a few minutes, then it functions normally. I can however close the programs and have it function as intended right away.

Sometimes it never happens, which just makes me scratch my head.

I have the same issue.....

Bit more information though.  I do find that the connection drops for the internet, but not for the current website I'm in.  So i can pretty much browse round the current site, some of the pictures don't load, but as soon as i go else where....nothing.  Need to reset PC.

Some Specs

Firewall: Comodo (windows defender disabled through group policies, Windows Firewall on)

Antivirus: Avast Free

Windows 10 pro

If staff think this is an issue 'at Our end' then please assist with suggestions that might help as the problem does not exist when connecting directly to the net without VPN.  If any further information is required, happy to post more.

This is the 1st comment I have made since being an AirVPN subscriber on and off for 2 years. Treiberschreiber, part of your statement is patently false; "The biggest mistake, as I already told you and others, is to think, numbers equals strength."

It irritates me to see helpful forum members make such statements. You are forgetting the power of statistics. Numbers do mean a lot, and can easily equate to strength in any argument where objectivity is being taken seriously. What, are you forgetting about statistical power, which is linked to sample size/ incidence/ prevalence? If there is a subjective perceived issue, that seems to be raised by multiple users, the correct approach is to withhold judgment and do some math.

Measure the variables (reported user issues) vs 2 time groups, and do some basic inferential/ summary statistics with some valid test statistic, e.g. t-test (assuming everything is normal), under some threshold (p value). Otherwise you make these stupid subjective statements that come too early. Heck you can even do a simple logistic regression and see if the slope changes over time. This would show if more users are reporting problems. If there is an increase, that in itself should be reason enough for AirVPN too look deeper, rather than just bluntly state its a problem on the user end. The admin posted 1 hour after a user posted. How did the admin analyze the situation, what did they look at? We get no information on this.

Maybe there is no problem, maybe there isnt. Just dont bear down like this, you can do better

So in your case, to paraphrase you; The biggest mistake, is to think numbers do not equal strength, and to talk too early, without objective analysis.

AND TO MAKE explicitly clear, im not debating with you about the proliferation of different threads and posts regarding issues, and how it can be too much. This is an issue of communication/ user base education, etc. etc. Im only demonstrating that you cannot dismiss numbers.

Also democracy comments are stupid on a consumer oriented forum for a product, in this i agree with you Products and corporations are not democracies. Still should never ignore numbers though.

LASTLY, i too have been having noticeable issues with connections currently, approximately 1 week, im EU based. It takes seconds for websites to connect, which is highly unusual for AirVPN. I have tried a range of different protocols with Eddie, none which worked. I have also tried removing the AirVPN DNS address from the tunnel adapter IP4 settings and setting to automatic, did not resolve the issue. Removing and disabling all AV and firewalls (ESET and COMODO) made no difference. P2P works ok.

My 2 cents. 

Dropped connections happen to me as well. Win7, LAN, Wifi Router (but wired connection), cable modem. It is not just dropped connection, the incident will deactivate the LAN port, TAP adapter will freeze. Cannot be resolved using device manager (disabling/enabling or uninstall/scan for hardware changes to reinstall). Needs a hard reset every time to reset the connection as the computer freezes during shut down. Win7 version of the latest Eddie client installed. Going back to TAP 9.9 driver from 9.21 did not resolve the issue.

A Win10 laptop on WiFi does not suffer a similar incident (Win10 version of latest Eddie). Both have Comodo internet security installed. An overnight test of the laptop (kept powered ON) did not indicate any issues. TAP driver is 9.21 (default in the latest version of Eddie).

On the Win7 machine, the issue will start with an auto send of SIGTERM command in the Eddie. Within a few seconds, the connection will drop and the LAN port and TAP adapters will freeze as described above. Windows troubleshooting will indicate that the LAN port is not connected by a cable. Eddie client forced into Win7 compatibility mode produces the same error.

Both machines connect to Yildun and IPV4.

Reading up on the OpenVPN website on the SIGTERM indicates that it is used to "gracefully" exit and close all connections. Do not know why the command is sent, while the client is not deactivated manually.

The issue persisted in both udp443 and TCP/IP modes on the Win7 machine.

Ran the following netsh commands, restarted the machine as required and the Win7 machine does not seem to disconnect. 

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset catalog

It's been about 48 hours and looks like there are no issues so far. 

From the above, it seems that the Win7 version of Eddie might be causing the issue on some machines. Or something else on the servers side was resolved and my netsh commands resolving the issue was a mere coincidence.

After more than a month of frustration of repeated disconnects (previous versions of Eddie as well), visiting the forum repeatedly without any resolution, had to research on my own. I am not a computer expert by any means, so if more people have similar issues and had reported them, hopefully some expert would post a solution. So there is strength in numbers, to make the service providers aware of the issue.

If the issue returns, will provide an update. The netsh commands "worked" for now or appears so, may be for the wrong reason. If any one with similar issues try it and solves the issue, please do post.

There is nothing to resolve since it works for the other 14000 clients connected right now! Your issues are at your end, as Mr. zhang already pointed out, and if you want to solve this with our help you better start providing information, such as your OpenVPN logs, hwinfo/inxi output or anything else you have.

What's so difficult here, people? We can't do anything with simply knowing that you seem to have a similar thing! Now we argue about sense and nonsense of those posts and we're not a single step further in helping you. Now, can be please adopt a more "professional" approach to troubleshooting? Help us helping you!

Where I am at with this : 

After speaking with the AirVPN staff, we looked at a few of the advanced settings and tried to use logs before, during and after the disconnects.

Firstly, I updated to the latest Eddie version. This did not solve the problem out right. 

We then noted that in Eddie under Preferences>advanced  there is a section 'Microsoft Windows only.' In that area I had 'Force all network interfaces for DNS' and 'Ensure DNS lock' enabled.

Now while I had always had it like this, and never faced the DNS and disconnects as detailed in this thread by myself and other users, disabling those two features did seem to reduce the amount of disconnects overall.

Next, I made sure to set my normal Windows Ethernet adapter to manual/static despite it already being static in my router. And for DNS, I used my own gateway address as the first DNS (left second DNS blank).

Things were going well for several days and then it happened again. However there was one noteable difference. After the disconnect, I was able to close Eddie down and run via my normal Ethernet connection, without delay. Before with the old version of Eddie and settings, I would have to restart the computer for Eddie to let go of the Ethernet connection and release it.

Then I got really busy and didn't use the internet much. I moved, setup new machines, reinstalled Windows and subsequently due to the move, am on a new internet line/connection. Using the same Eddie version and configuration, I have been consistent and stable without any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

I informed the guys on the team..it's not very conclusive but there were some things above that did contribute to a more positive experience, regardless of whether the issue is actually solved.

Personally I still think it was on Air's side and either it went away on it's own or they figured it out and silently fixed it.

Old Setup:

pfSense 2.1.5 on :

Dell PowerEdge R860

2x Xeon E5620 @2.6ghz
16GB DDR3 EEC

Old ISP :

Personally I still think it was on Air's side and either it went away on it's own or they figured it out and silently fixed it.

Absolutely not, we confirm once again that the problem was never on our side. Not only for logical inferences, because such a gigantic problem would have caused a massive amount of complaints by the 15000 users that at any given time are connected to our servers, but because your own description clearly shows that the problem is in your local network segment or local equipment.

Kind regards