Not connected, Your IP: 18.208.172.3

Hello,

I'm having an issue where I cannot download torrents since I did port forwarding. I forwarded my port through the website because qBittorrent had a yellow "connection status." I set the port in qBittorrent, and now the "connection status" is green, but torrents are not downloading. 

I did this yesterday, and when I initially forwarded my port, it was working just fine, and today it's not. Also, I was able to run the "TCP Test" and got a green light yesterday. I ran it today, and it stays gray. Not sure what that means, but figured I should include that info.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, all

When the same happened to me, I just deleted the forwarded port then added it back.

HTH

That works. Thanks!

My question is this, however; is that supposed to happen? Are you supposed to reset that every time you want to use the port? Seems like you shouldn't have to do that. Maybe I don't understand something.

Happens seldomly, don't worry. You'll most probably never encounter this issue again if you don't forward new ports on a regular basis.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Happens seldomly, don't worry. You'll most probably never encounter this issue again if you don't forward new ports on a regular basis.

So you're telling me I shouldn't have to reset it everytime I want to download a torrent, or every day? It's something I should be able to do once and leave it alone, right?

I've been using the same port for years now. You should be fine with it as well.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I have the same issue as you where the port becomes remotely inaccessible. Normally it closes within 48 hours, but right now I have a new record of 72 hours with a port remotely accessible.

You can verify yourself that the port is listening locally by opening a command box as administrator and entering (Windows):

netstat -ab|find "LISTENING"|find "<PORT>"
#Replace <PORT> with the port number you wish to check for the listening status (remove the enclosing <> but keep quotation marks)

If you want to actually probe the port to test it, you need a 3rd party tool. I use netcat for Windows. You need to extract it to your Windows/System32 directory and open up a command box as administrator.

nc -z -v -w5 <IP> <PORT>
#Replace <IP> with the IP address you want to probe -or- localhost and <PORT> with the port you want to test. Remove the enclosing <>.

So you need to enter the <IP> as the AirVPN exit node IP if you want to test it remotely, or localhost if you want to test it locally.

Please note: on this page: https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/ the important caveat is given:

NOTE: you can't reach your listening service(s) through the VPN server exit-IP address from the very same machine that's running it/them and is connected to a VPN server, or from any other machine connected to that same VPN server.

So if you want to verify the port is open to REMOTE users, you may have to do it on a machine / network adapter that isn't connected to the same VPN server.

That works. Thanks!

My question is this, however; is that supposed to happen? Are you supposed to reset that every time you want to use the port? Seems like you shouldn't have to do that. Maybe I don't understand something.

When the same happened to me, I just deleted the forwarded port then added it back.

HTH

Glad it worked!

As Treiberschreiber stated, it's not a regular problem. It only happened to me twice, seemingly after Air did some server updates. But I can't swear to that. Don't use forwarding anymore, went to a seedbox to save wear on my laptop.

There is a website for that:

Open Port Check Tool http://canyouseeme.org

On W10, hidden away is StartMenu.Windows-rightclick/Computer Management/System Tools/Performance/Open Resource Monitor

which has various useful displays, including Network/TCP Connections and Network/Listening Ports.

This can be useful separating client program config or windows firewall or antivirus internet security or router firewall/nat or airvpn issues.

I copied the link and pasted a shortcut on my W10 desktop and usually start Resource Monitor running after bootup to "keep an eye on" what my system is doing.

There is a website for that:

Open Port Check Tool http://canyouseeme.org

On W10, hidden away is StartMenu.Windows-rightclick/Computer Management/System Tools/Performance/Open Resource Monitor

which has various useful displays, including Network/TCP Connections and Network/Listening Ports.

This can be useful separating client program config or windows firewall or antivirus internet security or router firewall/nat or airvpn issues.

I copied the link and pasted a shortcut on my W10 desktop and usually start Resource Monitor running after bootup to "keep an eye on" what my system is doing.

I was told by a mod here that online port checkers are unreliable (or at least the port checker built into Transmission, which is a similar sort of thing). Plus, using the command line is more "1337".

My torrents stopped downloading a few weeks ago.  Removing and adding the port forward again does not seem to have resolved it.  It worked for almost 2 years before that.  Any other ideas?  Until I get it fixed, it's basically wasting my paid service.  :-(

HTH

Worked for me as well using BitTorrent!  Agonized over this for several days and could not figure out why not working.  Also had to exit and re-open BitTorrent, and once opened it worked like a charm.  Thanks!

I have had some ports forwarded for months without a problem.  Recently I have to delete the ports and open different ones every 24-48 hours.  This is really becoming an issue.  I think I have had to do this four times now in less than three weeks.