Not connected, Your IP: 3.128.190.102
VpnAndMe

Eddie 2.11.15 takes too long to connect and speeds are low

I recently upgraded to Eddie 2.11.15 from Eddie 2.7 (i know I haven't been updating my client for a long while). I like the network lock function but Eddie now takes way longer to connect and flush the DNS. Websites are not accessible for a few minutes and when they are, speeds seem to be very low at least for a while. Changing servers doesn't seem to help a lot unless I chose a local one. Did anyone else experience similar problems or am I the only one who is unhappy with Eddie 2.11.15.

Hello!

Let's underline that performance in the VPN has nothing to do with Eddie, while the handshake time is due to two factors: OpenVPN TLS handshake and key negotiation, and then Eddie testing routes and DNS. This second part has been greatly improved but it can actually be slower of some seconds. Since it is a procedure which occurs only once per connection it is inessential to discuss about it but you may disable both route and DNS check if you keep Network Lock enabled, because if the tunneling does not occur you will realize the issue anyway with Network Lock.

Finally, a slightly lower TLS handshake speed can occur while we replace SHA1 signed certificates with SHA512 signed certificates, but this time difference is really minimal.

Kind regard

Hello!

Let's underline that performance in the VPN has nothing to do with Eddie, while the handshake time is due to two factors: OpenVPN TLS handshake and key negotiation, and then Eddie testing routes and DNS. This second part has been greatly improved but it can actually be slower of some seconds. Since it is a procedure which occurs only once per connection it is inessential to discuss about it but you may disable both route and DNS check if you keep Network Lock enabled, because if the tunneling does not occur you will realize the issue anyway with Network Lock.

Finally, a slightly lower TLS handshake speed can occur while we replace SHA1 signed certificates with SHA512 signed certificates, but this time difference is really minimal.

Kind regard

I would like to personally affirm parts of Staff's post.  Due to my writing my own firewall rules, I don't need to check DNS or route since only absolute tun0 will pass through my connection.  Based upon my personal setup I can confirm that Eddie's connection is virtually instant.  Always under 5 seconds.  Speeds are also 80 megish before entering the TOR circuit, and that is with an SSL wrapper in place too.  Couldn't be any happier!