Not connected, Your IP: 18.206.238.189

Yeah, their servers are good, and I hate their client.  I'm logging into to ProtonVPN through Eddie.  Love that feature.

how do you do that?

It's a bit complicated, but it works.

https://airvpn.org/topic/19909-eddie-with-other-providers-or-custom-openvpn-configuration-files/

https://airvpn.org/topic/22200-i-cannot-add-other-providers-eddie-reverts-to-original-options-upon-startup/

ProtonMail routes their email traffic through an Israeli telecom with links to the Mossad whenever they're under a DDoS attack. I imagine they probably do the same with their VPN servers. I would stay clear from ProtonMail. It's not worth the Jews having your Internet traffic.

https://cryptome.org/2015/11/protonmail-ddos.htm

ProtonMail has a FAQ explaining why this isn't a problem, but I still don't trust them.

ProtonMail routes their email traffic through an Israeli telecom with links to the Mossad whenever they're under a DDoS attack. I imagine they probably do the same with their VPN servers. I would stay clear from ProtonMail. It's not worth the Jews having your Internet traffic.

ProtonMail has a FAQ explaining why this isn't a problem, but I still don't trust them.

ProtonMail has a FAQ explaining why this isn't a problem

That's it. And it not "a problem", it's not TRUE (it goes to Germany) and this system is activated only when a DDoS is performed.

First, it's not the case (about Protonmail), and even if it was, your emails are end-to-end encrypted.

Then, this only applies to Protonmail, not ProtonVPN and this for a very simple reason: most of ProtonVPN datacenters are also used by AirVPN (they do not own most of the servers).

If Israel want to spy  you, they can do it waayy more easily and globaly that doing this kind of thing 

For others, see: https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/protonmail-israel-radware/

ProtonMail has a FAQ explaining why this isn't a problem

That's it. And it not "a problem", it's not TRUE (it goes to Germany) and this system is activated only when a DDoS is performed.

First, it's not the case (about Protonmail), and even if it was, your emails are end-to-end encrypted.

Then, this only applies to Protonmail, not ProtonVPN and this for a very simple reason: most of ProtonVPN datacenters are also used by AirVPN (they do not own most of the servers).

If Israel want to spy  you, they can do it waayy more easily and globaly that doing this kind of thing 

For others, see: https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/protonmail-israel-radware/

It goes through Israel, you can test this yourself easily next time ProtonMail is under a DDoS attack. It's a little suspicious that Radware offered this service to them (Radware came to ProtonMail), now anytime the Mossad wants someone's emails they only have to DDoS ProtonMail and then bingo. Yes the emails are end-to-end encrypted, but you don't know what kind of zero days or technology the Mossad is sitting on. ProtonMail will end up getting a Palestinian political activist killed one of these days.

And that's not the only issue. Only their front-end web UI is open source, we have no idea how trustworthy their encryption implementation is, and they refuse to answer questions about it. At least Tutanota (their main competitor) is transparent, open, answers questions, and doesn't route their traffic through Israel.

It seems to me that the recurring issue with any kind of encryption service is when a provider lacks the will to be as transparent and open as possible. It seems to be the most efficient way to gauge how much you can really trust a service. Can it be that the only way for crypto services to operate legitimately is for them to keep all of it open source and own no proprietary code? 

It goes through Israel, you can test this yourself easily next time ProtonMail is under a DDoS attack. It's a little suspicious that Radware offered this service to them (Radware came to ProtonMail), now anytime the Mossad wants someone's emails they only have to DDoS ProtonMail and then bingo. Yes the emails are end-to-end encrypted, but you don't know what kind of zero days or technology the Mossad is sitting on. ProtonMail will end up getting a Palestinian political activist killed one of these days.

And that's not the only issue. Only their front-end web UI is open source, we have no idea how trustworthy their encryption implementation is, and they refuse to answer questions about it. At least Tutanota (their main competitor) is transparent, open, answers questions, and doesn't route their traffic through Israel.

No, it doesn't go through Israel. It may be suspicious to you, but you have not a single proof nor a legitimate idea about why they want to have ProtonMail clients IPs (and only IPs) this way (which is stupid because they you can also say that Israel is Directly linked to the USA and the USA can whatever they want). Israel can and probably monitor Palestinian telecam in a waayy more global way).. 

The only important code is only the Frontend. Because you can see that the outgoing/ingoing datas are end-to-end encrypted. Backend is on their servers so even if they releease the code, they can do whatever they want, so it's only a matter of trust. 

If I follow your reflexion, I can say that Tutanota is in Germany, which is deeply linked with the NSA (the most linked country with UK in EU, and probably in the world with Israel).

Also, Protonmail answered every technical questions I've asked.

You use AirVPN right? AirVPN does not own their servers, they are in different company datacenters (Like UK and USA based company, even if the servers are not in those countries). If you have this level of "security matter" (which is in top of that a bit senseless to me) why do you use it? Protonmail (not ProtonVPN) datas are way less critical.

Anyway, this is offtopic

I've been using them for a couple of days and I'm really not a fan of the speed. I barely get half my OG bandwidth while AirVPN gives me almost full speed and have the Network Lock.

The server choices are good, they have an Iceland server, something Air doesn't have (yet?), but the lack of client for macOS is a downer too, forcing me to use third-parties clients like Viscosity. I miss Eddie though.

Not renewing.

I dont know what to expect from the "protonvpn"...

I hope it will be so good as protonmail

forcing me to use third-parties clients like Viscosity. I miss Eddie though.

Did you try Eddie with other providers? Not much of it is implemented but it should work.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Service has been officially launched. There is also a free tier with "slow" speed and limited server choice. Actually I could not find what the low speed means in terms of kb/s.

​UPDATE: just tested free tier with android phone, using OpenVPN app and connecting via wifi to one Swiss server.

​Speed tested with SpeedTest app.

​Speed with VPN off: 5.79 Download, 0.40 Upload (I know I have a shitty DSL..lol)

​Speed with VPN on: 3.41 Download, 0.23 Upload.

​Nearly half of the speeds but for some casual using like messaging and so on, it does not change much.

Yeah, their servers are good, and I hate their client.  I'm logging into to ProtonVPN through Eddie.  Love that feature.

how do you do that?

It's a bit complicated, but it works.

https://airvpn.org/topic/19909-eddie-with-other-providers-or-custom-openvpn-configuration-files/

https://airvpn.org/topic/22200-i-cannot-add-other-providers-eddie-reverts-to-original-options-upon-startup/

It's easier with the new version of Eddie (available now as Experimental).

GIF:

EddieWithProtonVPN.gif

Note: only in Windows and Linux edition. macOS will be available soon.

Note that AirVPN account or subscription is not required: AirVPN can even be totally removed as VPN provider.

Remember: The features 'Check Tunnel' and 'Check DNS' are AirVPN servers specific, so they will not be performed on other .ovpn files.

The full conversion of Eddie to a generic OpenVPN wrapper is still under development, currently it's an hybrid (for example Settings contains AirVPN specific options that will be moved in the future).

In any case, collecting feedback about how Eddie works with .ovpn of other VPN providers will be interesting. Maybe a dedicated forum.

Setup in DD-WRT router and kept disconnecting so I canceled their service after many days not being able to get support to fix the issue.

Yep -- it's really buggy.  They've had problems randomly leaking real IPs out from behind their kill switch, and tons of issues with users not able to connect with the kill switch enabled.  It should be a little disconcerting to active or potential users that a company that's touting it's qualifications (CERN PhD CRYPTO) as often and as loudly as ProtonMail/VPN is can't get an OpenVPN client working right.

It seems like a fine service, I guess, but they're also juggling expansion for free users alongside expansion for paying users, with overloaded free servers as the only options available in many US cities, too; and it's slow compared to Air or Mullvad -- the two services I'd consider the best.  It's essentially a beta in usability, and while it might mature into a solid offering in this space, it doesn't seem worth the money right now.

Hi.

I tried Protonvpn free service and also I later took a 1 month subscription to test it.

I won't be renewing.

I use linux (U, 16.04). Speeds are good, connection good, and servers in one country where Air has none. Core and ToR connect easily. BUT: dns leaks on securecore and normal servers, using CLI and also network manager. Proton say there are leaks on network manger, but not cli - but they are wrong. Also, DNS leaks on ToR when using network manager and really odd results, ToR  on CLI - I tried ipleak.net, 30 sec apart  - two different tabs in F/F, and was given wildly different results.

My friend replicated these results. He posted a note to their linux set up page - and it has not been approved for posting. I was not rude.

Until they sort the DNS problem I won't use them as my secondary vpn - I'll stick with Air for all of it, though it can be inconvenient, if more than three people want to use the VPN. I use protonmail - very impressed and I want so much to support groups like Air and Proton.

Thanks for reading.

Further to my earlier post about protonvpn. It has the makings of an excellent service - if they can get on top of the DNS leaks AND provide a linux GUI. As the admins here have pointed out - linux network manager and even cli leaks. But there is another issue now.

A mate of mine also took out a one month subscription. After 5 days, it locked him out, saying that he needed to renew. I've actually seen the screens, the receipts and so forth and so have no doubt that he does have a paid up subscription to at least the middle of October. So, they have some problem with their billing. He's emailed them, but so far no response (likely because its a weekend). Mine has not booted me. Yet.

I'm sticking to airvpn - at least for home use. The limit of 3 devices, means each slot is tied up a lot of the time. So, I'm looking at options. I do not want to install on router as one of the people in the house does a lot of gaming and needs direct access to the net.

Another friend looked at Mullvad. It has a linux gui, but not as elegant as eddie, is about the same price as airvpn, provides for 5 devices, does not leak DNS. However, when it is active on her PC (running ubuntu, 16.04) - she is unable to connect to her NAS. I do not know enough about crypto to know if their cyphers are as good as airvpn. SSLLabs says they have an A+, on their server test - which is a good sign.

A good vpn is absolutely essential for the research I do, given the geoblocking etc that is going on - but also just for privacy (does google really need to know the music I like?) and to be left alone. And for those in freedom unfriendly locales.

Thanks for reading.

Does ProtonVPN allow P2P/torrenting?

Sent via Tapatalk. Means, I don't have a computer available now.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Does ProtonVPN allow P2P/torrenting?

Yes, on certain servers, but obviously do your research on them.  I haven't been overly impressed by what I've come across, yet reviews and comments on reddit can't be fully trusted either.  Review sites tend to push providers like, ExpressVPN, way too much, which probably means they pay more than others (i.e., Proton or Air) to advertise.  I love Proton email but I think they have a ways to go in the VPN arena for my tastes.

I use ProtonMail and it's OK, kinda slow compared to Mailbox, which, for me is faster than gmail.  No complaints about ProtonMail, though.  Proton's sites are not particularly information packed and they seem rather slow to react to requests but have a number of job openings posted, so maybe they'll become a more lively organization.  Proton's been promising client email support for a long time but haven't implemented it yet, that I can see.  I understand the issues with POP and IMAP but am just sick of gmail and all the google crap in general.  I don't need a mother chasing me anymore!      I tried Proton's free VPN and had no issues with connecting, it was slow as expected but just their servers are too far away for decent speed in one of the paid versions, so I saw no point in signing up.  VPN's seem to evolve and devolve, repeat as needed,  Proton's worth watching.

I use 3 paid VPN's (Air, Mulvad and Windscribe), mostly to avoid the accumulating slowdown from tracking and the paranoia it gives.  They all work, Air has the best configuration interface but is the slowest to connect and disconnect and the network lock is somewhat unpredictable if something goes wrong, it just locks up my browsers and the Air interface.

turned out to be (major blush) an underpowered AC adapter that was affecting everything, particularly wi fi, apparently.  Got the right one and my laptop starting working perfectly again.  First hand experience with erroneous blaming.

The other two are much faster connecting and disconnecting; speeds are equivalent with all three.  They all have locks but only Eddie occasionally requires log in/out, manual DNS flushing, task manager process stops, etc., to get going again if a connection issue occurs.  None of the three have ever shown IP leaks, at least to the extent I can check. I use Win 10 64 bit with the junkware CU.   Time will tell which VPN wins out when my subscriptions end in a year. 

Seems like it makes some sense to try out for a month or so whichever services get decent reviews from reliable sources and have the features you want. It doesn't cost much to play with the ones that only free trial low speeds.  Kinda difficult to weed out the ones that don't work well for you without experimenting.    

You should always dig a little deeper when looking for a vpn or secure mail provider ... follow the money.  Proton is comprised of multiple graduates from U.S. Universities.  They are backed by U.S. corporations and also have corporate offices on U.S. soil.  Do some research and follow your gut, it will tell you to walk away.  The VAST majority of review sites are fake reviews, don't trust them.

If you did your research you would discover that AirVPN is the only VPN provider that provides unique security certificates ... all other providers use shared certificates, all it takes is somebody to get your login info (that's not very difficult) and they can mirror your sessions.  Ask your vpn provider if they have unique security certs, if they offer to tell you the truth, they will tell you 'no', they'll all know what you're talking about.

... and no, I do not work for AirVPN, I just perform my own due dilligence.

Want to see unique certificates? Try making yours here.

https://airvpn.org/generator/

AirVPN has everything you want and more.

(Just adding the link for your post in case anyone did not understand @stx. Good day everyone.)

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Want to see unique certificates? Try making yours here.

https://airvpn.org/generator/

AirVPN has everything you want and more.

(Just adding the link for your post in case anyone did not understand @stx. Good day everyone.)

and that is why I picked AirVPN ... 

I use Win 10 64 bit

No VPN will keep you secure when you're using the biggest spyware o/s on the internet ... drop back to Win7/8.1 or make the switch to Linux or osx.

I have registered my own for a free account and I use the * .opvn files

just like for air  and no eddy or whatever. Works well for me

I use (almost) no P2P so a good alternative next to Airvpn