Not connected, Your IP: 3.90.33.254
Sign in to follow this  
Bloopie

Anything I can try to increase speeds?

Hi,

I'm currently using a trial AirVPN account as I wanted to see how fast the servers are. My connection is 200/200 and I'm maxing it out in the speed tests, but with the VPN on I'm only getting about 70MBps. I've tested multiple servers, mostly the ones closest to me with the best pings. The speed seems to fluctuate a lot between them but the max I've seen was 100MBps. I remember reading that it's not unheard of to get around 200MBps through AirVPN so I would just like to see if I can get closer to that.

I tried to look for tips to increase the speed and changed my send and receive buffer sizes to 256 KB. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

What CPU you are using? Some devices cannot go beyond a certain level of speed with AES-256.

Using an Intel i5-2500k.

6 years old end of life CPU, might not be enough. Do you have a possibility to try with something newer?

Not at the moment. Is there any way around it, or a way to tell that that is indeed causing a problem?

If you tried all servers and with all protocols, there is nothing much left to do at this point. The servers are fine with these speeds and you can see it in the stats,

if you can achieve these speeds from your ISP, the next thing to check would be your hardware. Anything beyond 100Mbit/s with AES-256 requires a modern CPU.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Ah, that explains it - I'm only getting about 45Mbit/s with an Intel Atom processor (my home-brew server). It's annoying because the core running OpenVPN is only getting to about 40% utilisation at these speeds. Is there any way to encourage OpenVPN to use more of the CPU cycles?

Perhaps `nice --adjustments=-20 ...`, or you could experiment with renice -p.

You could bind other processes to one core, and openvpn to another (i forget the command to do that right now), in order to give openvpn a more 'exclusive' core ... maybe (openvpn is not multi-threaded).

You could read this, or the equivalent amd page. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/improving-openssl-performance

That page has some handy openssl benchmarking commands.

Run multiple openvpn processes (assuming multi-core processor) and do some kind of load balancing over them?

You could find some other hardware that has aes-ni and use that as a openvpn gateway.

I dunno. Maybe you could find some AES pci card that will work with whatever setup you have. pfsense supports some stuff like that. What speed atom processor?

It's a 1.80 D525 dual core CPU on a JetWay board. Sadly doesn't seem to support AES-NI instruction set.

It's my Ubuntu based NAS and mail/web/calendar/media server.  I tried renicing the process to -20 and it gives me an additional 10-20% throughput when connected to a fast server, and increases CPU utilisation by the same amount - so I can now get 50Mbit/s at 50% CPU (on one of 4 virtual cores).

I tried to add the renice command to my up script. Oddly it works when starting the VPN with

sudo openvpn airvpn.conf

but fails when starting the service with

service openvpn@airvpn start (or service openvpn restart)

I will look into the possibility hardware acceleration.

Found this on EBay: SOEKRIS VPN1401 PCI VPN Hardware Computer Encryption Safety Acceleration Card

Is it worth a try under Linux?

On pfSense forums, people got 100-130Mbps with CPU at 2.4Ghz minimum.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)