Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.196.206
~Daniel~

Looking for confirmation on proper way to use AirVPN Speedtest to test protocols in Eddie

I may be making some wrong assumptions, so I thought I'd ask if I'm simply barking up the wrong tree.

I thought it would be interesting to take Eddie off "automatic" and try some specific protocols, looking to see if I could bypass my ISP's throttling.

First question... Can I flip protocols (and expect it to take effect) in Eddie on the fly, or do I need to disconnect, change my setting, and reconnect for each protocol that I want to test?

I noticed the website tool can throw some errors when running the test... usually the initial "out of tunnel" tests... which leads to my second question.  Is Network Lock supposed to be disabled for a proper AirVPN Steedtest?

I seem to be having some success with NL either way, and wondered if that was just browser caching... third question... Should I be closing my browser tab (or whole browser) when switching between Eddie configurations and/or VPN server disconnects/reconnects?

I've also wondered if letting Eddie automatically pick the server skews my tests.  Fourth question... Should I lock Eddie to a server when doing these tests?  Fifth question... Might that help the web-site app too, or eliminate having to refresh the site or close the tab/browser?

Thank you!

Hello!

You need to disconnect between protocol changes. The active protocol can be seen on the Stats menu entry. Try alternative UDP protocol ports.

I've never seen any indication that NL needs to be disabled or not. You're of course welcome to try both. It's also recommended to try other speedtests besides Airs, depending on what you're testing. Say, torrent DL speeds.

You don't have to close your browser between changes. You could simply clear your browser cache too, if your wondering gets the better of you.

If you want to test your connection to a specific server it can be beneficial to lock Eddie to that server naturally. It really depends on what you're trying to test.

Latency to servers change all the time and therefore the recommended server that Eddie picks will also change eventually.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks for the reply LZ1. I think I knew some of these answers... just it was just unexpected that some Air Speedtests would fail, or the web-page would fail to refresh (or I was too impatient to wait), so I thought I'd throw these question out there.

I usually use ookla's speedtest, but air's had the ability to show in and out of tunnel speeds which I thought was awesome!  I also noticed some wide deviations between the reported speeds between the tools which as weird as well.

The good news is this was just some simple Q&A... no issues with my connections, so I'm good on many levels.

You're welcome.

The Air speedtest does fail now and again and I think the causes differ a fair bit between each case. I think there's a consensus on not taking the Air speedtest as the final word regarding speeds.

You need to

on your commitment to trust yourself

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.