Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.161.116
BeefJerky

Dallas servers and SSL/SSH

I am experiencing a weird issue with all of the Dallas servers and connections via SSL/SSH. When connected this way, I can hit a maximum of about 10Mbps download, and it seems to be a pretty hard wall I hit. Connecting to other servers (i.e. Jacksonville, Atlanta and Chicago) via SSL/SSH easily achieves 40Mbps or more. When I connect to a Dallas server via standard UDP, I can easily get 150+, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the route between my ISP and the Dallas servers.

The reason SSL/SSH is important to me is because my work connection now requires me to connect that way, and I would like to be able to just leave Eddie set to SSH/SSL when going back and forth to work and not worry about it. Also, the Dallas servers are important to me since they are the closest.

I get the same speed via any TCP (that includes SSL) tunnel to the dallas servers - only about 10mbit/s.  It's either my ISP or the cogent routers that are traversed. 

Sounds like you are throttled on some TCP connections.

The same slow speeds are apparent at work as well; it's not just my home internet connection. Connecting via SSL/SSH to the Dallas servers at work is slow as molasses, but other servers, such as Atlanta and Chicago, are normal. Before they killed off UDP at work, Dallas was very fast when connected that way. It is something specific to SSL/SSH only on the Dallas servers from two different internet providers.

I'd like to followup and state that I have tried the new Dallas servers and had mixed results. Draco still has the exact same issue, but Tonatiuh seems to be fine. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I would love to figure it out.

I'd like to followup and state that I have tried the new Dallas servers and had mixed results. Draco still has the exact same issue, but Tonatiuh seems to be fine. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I would love to figure it out.

I'm telling you it's cogent.    tonatiuh is the only dallas server that's not reached from comcast via cogent.  I'm guessing other providers (if you're not using comcast) are using the same routing...because cogent is known to be cheap.

I'm telling you it's cogent.    tonatiuh is the only dallas server that's not reached from comcast via cogent.  I'm guessing other providers (if you're not using comcast) are using the same routing...because cogent is known to be cheap.

I'm on AT&T at home, and not sure what at work, so I'm not sure if routing is the same or not. But, that really doesn't explain things, since the speed is perfectly normal when not using SSH/SSL on the other Dallas servers. I highly doubt that the routing would be different based on the protocol, nevermind with two different ISPs that I connect from.

I'm on AT&T at home, and not sure what at work, so I'm not sure if routing is the same or not. But, that really doesn't explain things, since the speed is perfectly normal when not using SSH/SSL on the other Dallas servers. I highly doubt that the routing would be different based on the protocol, nevermind with two different ISPs that I connect from.

I'm not saying the routing is different.  And I very well could be wrong in my thinking that cogent is to blame.  My only thought was that cogent was clamping down on TCP connections.  Thus, UDP are faster.

I have since tried SSL and SSH to Tonatiuh and they, also, are slow.