Not connected, Your IP: 3.230.162.238
airvpn1q

TOR>VPN - security risk, need advice.

Hello I have a security concern. I like the idea of using TOR>VPN it is a great layer of security and a way to partition the trust, my only concern is when I am browsing if the VPN connection where to drop without me realizing I would be left naked with my real IP showing. I have thought about downloading VPNetMon (basically kills programmes when connection drops) but seems unreliable to me. I am currently running Ubuntu privacy remix.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Hello!

Isn't Network Lock enough for you?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

if the VPN connection where to drop without me realizing I would be left naked with my real IP showing

This does not make sense. You are left with your Tor connection, so no leak occurs.

Actually not, in this case if the OpenVPN connection goes down the routing table is restored by OpenVPN and the machine will not tunnel anything but the traffic of applications configured to connect over Tor. Network Lock is not implemented (because Eddie can't know BEFORE the connection to Tor is established the Tor guards IP addresses), so currently we do not have any pre-packaged solution to the issue, we're sorry.

Kind regards

if the VPN connection where to drop without me realizing I would be left naked with my real IP showing

This does not make sense. You are left with your Tor connection, so no leak occurs.

Actually not, in this case if the OpenVPN connection goes down the routing table is restored by OpenVPN and the machine will not tunnel anything but the traffic of applications configured to connect over Tor. Network Lock is not implemented (because Eddie can't know BEFORE the connection to Tor is established the Tor guards IP addresses), so currently we do not have any pre-packaged solution to the issue, we're sorry.

Kind regards

Staff, could Eddie potentially identify the IP addresses after the connection with Tor is initiated and then initiate the Network Lock, thus giving it the time it needs to find those IP's? 

Staff, could Eddie potentially identify the IP addresses after the connection with Tor is initiated and then initiate the Network Lock, thus giving it the time it needs to find those IP's? 

It would be quite a different option. The difference would be that network would NOT be "locked" before and during connection, but yes, such an option appears theoretically possible, because the Tor circuit would remain "fixed" and never changed for the same OpenVPN stream.

Kind regards

I have a idea not sure if it will work or not.

Could I set rules to force all of my traffic to go through TOR, then start up VPN and enable it to connect to TOR.

Or force all traffic to go through TOR then create a VM and set the VPN? - If tor browser needs to be open in the VM for the VPN to connect to it I could go TOR>TOR>VPN ? Granted it would be slow as shit but secure atleast.

That way if my VPN connection dropped I would atleast be covered by TOR?