Not connected, Your IP: 54.234.6.167
Sign in to follow this  
unitymedia-vpn-info

how to: get good speed on Unitymedia

Just got AirVPN - very impressed overall! I had some issues and only got -4 mbps and dropped connections all over the place on my 120mpbs line on Unitymedia / Kabel BW (German ISP).

I had to change this is the configuration file to easily get >60 mbps now. (And I believe the 60 mbps limit is because Unitymedia has horrible peering to the server I used)

proto tcp

sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
mssfix 1250

proto tcp is because my DS Lite CGNAT seems to be overwhelmed with lots of UDP traffic, mssfix fixes some broken MTU path discovery somewhere along the way and sndbuf/rcvbuf allow openvpn to decide what the best buffer sizes are. Hope this helps someone!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for this post. I was fiddling around for a good day with all kinds of configurations to no avail. Only was getting about 500kb/s to max. 1MB/s, now I get up to 9MB/s. Can recommend this to all Unitymedia customers!

I found these parameters work good on Spectrum(former TWC). UDP port 443. TCP works too but other ports seem throttled.

mtu-disc no

tun-mtu 24000

mssfix 0

fragment 0

sndbuf 0

rcvbuf 0

Best off to leave the fragmenting to the OS, at least on my Linux based router.

For an Android on T-Mobile, any port seems to work fine but use UDP.

mtu-disc no

tun-mtu 23552

mssfix 0

fragment 0

sndbuf 0

rcvbuf 0

Pretty much same thing, letting OS fragment it but tun-mtu is a multiple of 1472 instead of 1500, compensating for the IPv4 interface having a 1472 mtu, allowing exactly 16 packets in processing by OpenVPN. I find this makes for a consistent data stream.

Just got AirVPN - very impressed overall! I had some issues and only got -4 mbps and dropped connections all over the place on my 120mpbs line on Unitymedia / Kabel BW (German ISP).

I had to change this is the configuration file to easily get >60 mbps now. (And I believe the 60 mbps limit is because Unitymedia has horrible peering to the server I used)

proto tcp

sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
mssfix 1250

proto tcp is because my DS Lite CGNAT seems to be overwhelmed with lots of UDP traffic, mssfix fixes some broken MTU path discovery somewhere along the way and sndbuf/rcvbuf allow openvpn to decide what the best buffer sizes are. Hope this helps someone!

Where do i have to enter this?

proto tcp

sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
mssfix 1250

Where do i have to enter this?

In Eddie client:

Preferences>OVPN directives>Custom directives