Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.204.14

It would be great if Eddie would have a ppa.

Eddie is getting updated very often, (A big thanks to the developer for that) It would be much easier to handle if there would be a ppa for the stable and experimental version.

Hello!

But the update process is so easy. Just download, install and then restart the client .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Not everyone likes to build all the software one wants to use. I certainly don't. So, a classical repo would be easier for most but the process of upgrading is already quite easy so I don't compain.

The way I know it, PPAs are something originating from Ubuntu. I expect only Ubuntu and probably some derivatives to have this built-in. For those using other distributions the process is connected to more work, and How-Tos are needed.

Not to mention the work you need to maintain a repo or PPA.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Yes, a ppa repo (Debian and derivatives) will be available soon. Binary x64/x86/arm7i ('classic' as giganerd explain).

Mainly because .deb don't have a digital signature (may have, but in any case are not checked by OS); ppa repo can be digitally signed.

Our *.RPM are already digitally signed. ArchLinux it's under evaluation, but already exists packages maded by a member of this community in AUR.

I also think (in future), when Eddie3 works well also with other VPN providers, to request to be maintainer in official repository (at least Debian).

I still don't understand how-to create a deb-src package to generate binary from sources, if anyone know an official debian package with a software compiled by sources WITH MONO please write the package-name. Thanks.

Mainly because .deb don't have a digital signature (may have, but in any case are not checked by OS); ppa repo can be digitally signed.

apt-get works closely with apt-key, isn't this the way apt verifies validity of repos and therefore packages, too?

apt-get works closely with apt-key, isn't this the way apt verifies validity of repos and therefore packages, too?

Yes. From what i know, we can sign a .deb file, but user need to run explicit command to check if digital signature is valid. It's not done automatically when .deb is installed.

But if the package are downloaded from an apt repo, the repo signature it's checked. For this reason it's important to create an apt repo.

In contrast, .rpm it's already signed, and our maintainer key need to be installed otherwise the installation throw warnings (sudo rpm --import https://airvpn.org/static/keys/maintainer.key, explained in download page, RPM version).

Yes, a ppa repo (Debian and derivatives) will be available soon. Binary x64/x86/arm7i ('classic' as giganerd explain).

​This is great news. Hopefully soon is sometime in the next few hours, haha.

​This is great news. Hopefully soon is sometime in the next few hours, haha. :D

We done this today (haha :p). Debian repository with apt-key signature. If the latest experimental 2.11 don't have any big problems in the next days, we will finally move it to stable and release at the same time the Debian repository specs.

​This is great news. Hopefully soon is sometime in the next few hours, haha.

We done this today (haha ). Debian repository with apt-key signature. If the latest experimental 2.11 don't have any big problems in the next days, we will finally move it to stable and release at the same time the Debian repository specs.

Damn, I was joking. Thank you! I'm eagerly awaiting for the ppa!

​Will you also provide a PPA for the beta releases?

​Will you also provide a PPA for the beta releases?

Yes, stable and testing PPA. Stay tuned, in a few days our team test internally the new PPA, after that (some days) i will write here instructions (key url for apt-key, and deb-line for /etc/apt/sources.list);

at least for testing PPA until we release the first stable 2.11 with a Debian PPA.

Still working up the winding road of Linux knowits, but does not the apt/ppa facility also provide version dependency management for mono/stunnel/openvpn etc (which may have issues for security vs "complete package"), and auto update notification, and easy for anybody guis like Synaptic Package Manager. Smoother than Check for updates in a Help menu on Windwoes.

In this page: https://airvpn.org/linux/ the GPG key and PPA details. Please report here any issues specific to PPA repo, thx.

What a great page Clodo! It looks so lovely haha.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Yep, the linux page is nice and I added the repo to my Mint setup.

Maybe it's obvious to those with more experience with linux but I had to actually add the repo in the additional repos section of software sources, not the PPA section.  When I attempted to add it as a PPA I was told that it didn't support xenial.

But, I updated from 2.11.11 to 2.11.15 via the update manager so it seems to be working.

Little note: we write in the download page

deb http://eddie.website/repository/apt stable main

but if anyone wants, the https version can be used

deb https://eddie.website/repository/apt stable main

This because the apt https transport protocol is not installed by default in Debian (but it is installed by default in Ubuntu...).
So, using https under a fresh Debian 8.7.1 throws a

The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.

until a

apt-get install apt-transport-https

is done. For me, unbelievable :p.

Fortunately it doesn't matter much, Debian relies on GPG instead of transport security, so it's all fine.

When you take into account the poor trust of various CAs, and their potential to be influenced by nation states, it's actually a great choice.

The full process is described here, and it's like this since Debian 4.0:

https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I'm still fairly new to linux when I try to add the repository it gives me an error like "need a single repository as argument" do you run the command just sudo add-apt-repository and then the web address provided, or is that something you add to the sources list itself?

I'm still fairly new to linux when I try to add the repository it gives me an error like "need a single repository as argument" do you run the command just sudo add-apt-repository and then the web address provided, or is that something you add to the sources list itself?

NEVERMIND, I answered my own question lol

I tried to use Synaptic to add the repository but it gave me an error. Does it matter what you put in the distribution and section fields? It said something like some files failed to download old ones used instead etc, so i just deleted the entry and reloaded the sources list, until I can figure out what I did wrong.

Does it matter what you put in the distribution and section fields?

It does. Debian being an example, you know that Debian is not only Debian, there are many versions. Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, to name a few. They all contain different packages and package versions. So you use the distribution field to tell these apart.

The sections are there to differentiate between different collections of packages, like categories. Debian mostly has got the sections main, contrib and non-free, main being the FLOSS section and non-free being the proprietary section for instance. That way you can choose to be a hardcore FLOSS user by only checking the main section, or you include all of them to have the whole software repo of Debian at your fingertips. The tradeoff is that it might also install proprietary, closed source software.

In the case of Eddie, two distributions are mentioned on the Enter page - stable and testing. They only contain one section, main, since Eddie is open source.

Synaptic gave me errors in the past as well. That's why I almost exclusively edit the files in /etc/apt to control repos.

I added the repository without errors manually woooo! Another issue is my debian doesn't have mono4 I don't think. When I run airvpn and its not the portable version without mono I get errors. However, I read how to install mono4 and it doesn't look that bad, I just don't feel like messing with it yet. However, I switched to the new portable version. Is there a way to be notified automatically about updates using the portable version or do I just need to check the website periodically?