Not connected, Your IP: 18.224.0.25
Sign in to follow this  
sonjacameron

SMTP server port again

Hi, I just signed up and promptly I cannot send email.

I checked the forum and I know that I should reset my outgoing server port from 25 to something cleverer; the problem is that nothing else works with my provider - I've tried a variety of alternatives and checked the forums there, and no joy.

So now I'm stuck. Please don't tell me it's not wise to use port 25; I have no other convenient choice, and I would like to get it to work again. Help, please?

Hi, I just signed up and promptly I cannot send email.

I checked the forum and I know that I should reset my outgoing server port from 25 to something cleverer; the problem is that nothing else works with my provider - I've tried a variety of alternatives and checked the forums there, and no joy.

So now I'm stuck. Please don't tell me it's not wise to use port 25; I have no other convenient choice, and I would like to get it to work again. Help, please?

Hello!

We are not going to unblock outbound port 25 because the spam problem is a plague which may bring down quickly entire VPN infrastructures. We thank you for your purchase and we value it, we would recommend that you switch to a serious e-mail provider (an e-mail provider which gives access to only unencrypted connections to SMTP servers on port 25 should be considered unsafe) anyway please do not hesitate to ask for a refund if this block is unbearable for you.

Kind regards

No, I tried, and it simply won't connect. I've posted a query to my ISP's online support now but I don't have much hope. Unfortunately where I live I don't have much choice of ISP.

But thanks for asking.

hi, no matter where you live, there are no bounderies. You don't need an email provider that is placed in the same location like you. I think there are plenty of email-providers all over the world offering a secured connection. This is just a quick search: http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_email.htm

I'm sure you'll find a different one. If your actual provider only offers port 25 for smtp, you certainly chose the wrong one...

In addition I doubt that you will find a serious vpn-provider with unblocked port 25. This is simply common practice... it's for good reason to close this port.

@michigan82

Okay, maybe you can help me then.

I have a (considerable) number of email suppliers. The email supplier is not the problem.

But to *send* email, I need to use the smtp server and port of my ISP. And the ISP is the problem. Telling me I chose the wrong ISP does not help me. I am limited in my choices of ISP even though I am not limited in my choices of email supplier.

So unless you simply want to feel superior in your knowledge, please tell me how to get around this. Is there a way to avoid using my ISP's smtp server without having seven instances of three different webmail services open in four different browsers? I'm happy to try. It's not like I enjoy this situation; I'd much rather have secure email too.

Would using IMAP instead of POP help? I'd rather avoid it, but if I really have to, I could do that...

I actually told you what to do. Just switch to a different mail-provider! You don't need to change your ISP for that purpose. And you then are not dependent on the incapabilities of your ISP. Choose a mail-provider of your choice that supports port 995 for POP (993 for IMAP) and port 465 (or 587) for SMTP. That's it. If you then connect to the mail-server of that provider you of course need your internet connection of your ISP. But you are not dependent on his configuration concerning his own mail-server. Try that...

Thanks, figured this one out at last. The bit of info I was missing was that I don't *have* to use my ISP's smtp. Am set up with one of the others now and all is well!

Hi

I just signed up. My Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 stopped working completely after I switched air VPN on. Can I switch airVPN off in order to check it out? I could not send emails from Outlook but now it want work at all.

Regards

B