Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.185.180
Casper31

Geforce experience from Nvidia sends detailed software,hardware and user info

According to Canard,a frence pc magazine, Nvidia sends not only info about hardware to the mothership ,but  also detailed information about the software you use and for how much time.Nvidia is using no encryption for this either.

For the whole story look at these links:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qt8pf/geforce_experience_sends_a_detailed_log_of_your/

And what can you do about it:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

If you are using a blacklist or ads-list (pfsense,ublock) ,you can use this link:

https://www.perfect-privacy.com/blog/2016/11/11/use-trackstop-prevent-nvidia-spying/

Have a good Day,

Casper

I do not quite see how this works the way it is being approached in the last article. I added them to my hosts file on the Windows side.

Adding them to uBlock seems pointless. But I did that anyway since I honestly do not know for a fact it cannot interact with the browser.

I only installed the driver itself, not the bullshit "Geforce Experience" and I already disabled all the telemetry stuff.

But even if it does nothing, it is a wise move to make it harder for them to surprise you with another scummy way of leeching data from you.

Security is best in layers, like clothing to keep you warm.

For those wanting to try the hosts method, open your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file. (It has no extension, just use a text editor.) and add these three lines.

127.0.0.1 gfswl.geforce.com
127.0.0.1 telemetry.nvidia.com
127.0.0.1 gfe.nvidia.com

Save the file and reboot. It cannot reach those addresses again ever.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

I was really surprised when I updated GeForce Experience once to v3 I think and it asked me to register. Without registering I couldn't take advantage of its functionality. From then I knew right away that they use it for data collection, linking it to specific accounts.

Windows just got a bit more spyware. How far can we go here, I wonder? So good that Linux is now my primary OS; really.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Do we even need the GeForce experience for anything?  I just installed the  GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB card last week.  Can I remove the GF experience with messing anything up?  I just have everything working perfectly for gaming and don't want to mess things up and spend a week trying to get it back to perfect again.

Do we even need the GeForce experience for anything?  I just installed the  GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB card last week.  Can I remove the GF experience with messing anything up?  I just have everything working perfectly for gaming and don't want to mess things up and spend a week trying to get it back to perfect again.

Not unless you intend to capture video of your game play experience, and even then, there are better options.

I suggest doing a full uninstall of the entire "driver suite" and reinstall it, selecting *ONLY* the drivers themselves. That is what I did on my system. And it works perfectly for everything you need.

Bear in mind that even if you only install the drivers, it still starts out in this privacy invading rootkit mode even if it lacks the Geforce Experience part. Use Autoruns to kill off the parts you literally told it not to even install that it did anyway. And then you need to block the addresses it wants to feed stolen data to in your hosts file.

Here is the link with Autoruns and the instructions for that.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

And here is how to do the hosts method.

Open your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file. (It has no extension, just use a text editor.) and add these three lines.

127.0.0.1 gfswl.geforce.com

127.0.0.1 telemetry.nvidia.com

127.0.0.1 gfe.nvidia.com

Save the file and reboot. It cannot reach those addresses again ever.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

It's not like we already pay Nvidia hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for a graphics card. Apparently they need to pinch a few more pennies out of us with data collection? If not for profit what else do they want our data for? They ought to at least let us opt out rather than me having to find domains here and have to tamper with my windows files.

Expecting decency from a big company is every bit as lucrative as mining for gold in a toilet. And there is likely far less excrement in the toilet too.

Nvidia probably thinks this is not invasive. I would not complain if they has a process list and checked the number of FPS and general details of the GPU as it rendered for the games on the list. But they seem to have aimed for every process, and quite a few details beyond general rendering.

Perhaps they came up with this idea intending to help optimize their products. But how long until one of the many alphabet soup organizations starts demanding that data to "fight terrorism" or whatever the excuse of the day is?

"Fight terrorism with us - contribute to the nVidia GeForce Graphics Performance Analysis Program!" Why? Because foiling the next terrorist attack with data about your FPS in Battlefield 1 makes sense.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I was very happy with the card I just bought.  It's not the newest but its big jump up from my previous one and it only cost me $79 brand new which I felt was a great deal.   I only upgraded because I got a notice from Steam in early December that they were having a one day special sale for the new DOOM.  $15. I figured I would playing on the lowest setting possible because as with every new DOOM, my present card is woefully inadequate to play it.  Well, the one I had couldn't even play it all.  And now it looks amazing.  From the websites that have the match your system with whatever card and then choose what game you want info on to if the card your lookings is enough.  The 750 Ti was rated poorly for the New Doom but I figured it would at  least play.  But I'm blown away by just awesome it looks and plays.  I'm sure the newest cards are impressive but I'm super happy with the one I got. 

But now after reading up on this new invasion of Privacy by Nvidia, well next time I upgrade I most likely be looking at the other big name in GPU's.  While I can use the above guide to fix the privacy invasion, I shouldn't have to do that.  That should be something they ask if I"m ok with allowing them to get this info.  I will vote with money.