Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.117.57
cm0s

Looking At Traffic

Posted ... (edited)

A couple days ago i read a post on here about deep packet inspection and the tor browser bundle. Basically

the OP was curious about if the traffic could be exposed or not. I'll be the first to admit as much as I play

around with this stuff and think about it I couldn't tell you exactly what deep packet inspection really is or

if stunnel is the exact same thing as https traffic. And the OP's post got me thinken about an app i got on

my box every day and rarely use: Wireshark. For as long as I have been a happy airvpn customer I have never

fired up Wireshark and did small pcap captures of my own traffic. So that's exactly what I did. I tried to

find the original post to put this there but as usual got lost.

So what I did was i went to my router, turned on dhcp, made my boxes dhcp, meaning disabled the static

and opened up firefox to browse to airvpn. Then did same thing same config with tor browser bundle.

From there I went back to the router, disabled dhcp, set my box to static, ran my firewall script and yep,

opened firefox browsed to here, closed it, opened the tor browser bundle and browsed here then closed it.

And that's really it. But truth is, for as much as i can blab about my love for encryption it wasn't really

until i looked at something, besides a terminal, looked at it and went 'oh ok, that's my encryption...'

And that was the motive for myself and the goal, to hopefully show others what the difference is with and

without openvpn/ssl and differences of both browsers on both dhcp and encrypted.

I tried posting pics up here and thought maybe i had them too big and what not i'm probably just goofing up the

buttons or something using my css, i dunno. Thing is and i've seen this on a few vpn forums, always a concern about tbb,

connection issues etc and i'm guilty of it, i don't post logs, rarely look at logs (they remind me of manuals)

and yeah the admins on most forums answer the same type of questions a million times. And Wireshark is something that

works solid on both Windows and Linux. That's the other good news.

You can look at the photos at digiroast dot net/trafik.html

Happy Holidays

Edited ... by cm0s

Hello!

Really nice bro. Maybe you should pic a different channel to share on, such as imgur, since I'm getting 403 forbidden on everything. Pings fail on almost every server apparently ^^. Edit: Suddenly they all show up.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

There's a lot of questions on the forum about an ISP looking at traffic, different vpn protocols etc. Often there is a description and an explanation. A reply you made to a post somewhere on here zhang888 answering another member's question about dpi, how to hide tor traffic from an ISP got me thinking about trying another way to 'show' others what the traffic looks like through a gui. Along those lines there is usually questions about 'leaks' and thought maybe letting others know another way to look at their traffic is using the app Wireshark. One of those apps that honestly I don't use enough of myself. I just looked at tried the QT version on linux and really impressed with it. As for the mac, macchanger.

I was reducing the jpgs in size with gimp and pushing them back up to the server. That might have been why the pings failed, not sure.

For Windows users you can grab Wireshark here:

https://www.wireshark.org/#download

A short tutorial on it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/107945/how-to-identify-network-abuse-with-wireshark/

cheerz

Your intention was good and that's what matters. Thank you for that. There's nothing stopping you from trying again in the future . It would be pretty nice to refer to it, when someone asks haha.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.