Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.104.248
Max4All

Trying to avoid Vodafon (ex KabelDeutschland) throttling

Hi,

I found out that Vodafone, ex KabelDeutschland, is throttling my VPN traffic to ca. 20MBps. After playing with Eddie, I found out that alternate IP, UDP and Port 53 avoids throtteling. I get on my MacBookPro about 10% less than the 100MBps I'm paying for. So far so good.

Now I wanted connect my whole network. I tried to use my Tomato router as well as my Synology NAS as a router. I used the same setup (alternate IP, UDP, Port 53). In both cases the throttle slows me down to 20 MBps.

So, why can I avoid the throttle using Eddie but can't using the same settings on Tomato or Synology? Any ideas?

So, why can I avoid the throttle using Eddie but can't using the same settings on Tomato or Synology? Any ideas?

Hello,

maybe with Tomato or Synology you just hit the processing power limit of a core of their CPUs to encrypt/decrypt AES-256. A limit that's so near to the shaping cap of your ISP that can be confused with it.

Kind regards

I would say that's very likely to be part of the issue when using the router.  Depending the router chipset, getting above the 30-50 range is very difficult at this high of a level of encryption.

I can confirm this issue, I am using a Netgear R7000 with DD-Wrt (OpenVPN).

Until recently I was able to get close to max. speed: 32MBps on a 32 MBps line,

In the mean time I got upgraded to a 100 MBps line, now I get 20-23 MBps on a 100 MBps line .......

I would say that's very likely to be part of the issue when using the router.  Depending the router chipset, getting above the 30-50 range is very difficult at this high of a level of encryption.

Ok, that might be the reason.

My Synology NAS reaches as much as 50-60% CPU when used as VPN-Client. The R7000 router never exceeds 30%.